Last Hunt At The Big Pond

12 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

The truck took a beating, but looks older at least the 50's or 60's.

50's or early 60's would be my conclusion, also.  I'm surprised the axle survived.  In my finds they seem to be the first to disappear.  I think typically the axles are iron/steel, wheels plastic (metal on earlier ones?), body some kind of zinc alloy ('pot metal' on the cheapest ones).

When I was growing up (60's) there was a series called 'Matchbox' and on the bottom it said "Made in England by Lesney".  They were high quality and there are still many avid collectors with a few of the vehicles carrying crazy prices in top condition (especially with original box).  Mattel HotWheels kinda took over, I suppose partly because how cheap they were (and that 'cheap' includes poorer build quality).  Matchbox eventually followed suit (possibly they were bought out) and made cheapos in the Far East.  Almost all the ones I find detecting are HotWheels.

I'm sure many here are of my generation, likely remembering all this and probably had collections of their own growing up.  Sorry for the ramble.  For some of us, finding things that remind us of our youth is part of the enjoyment.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Another huge hunt. I know I wouldn't ever find that much stuff anywhere in one day! 👍

The truck is probably a Tootsietoy, the wheels look familiar. Company dates back to the 1890s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TootsieToy

I like collecting junk 🙄 I wish that truck was in better shape. It would make a nice display.

17 hours ago, kac said:

You look on any of the old topos to see if there were some summer cottages that are gone now? I found some around most the lakes and ponds here. Many where in the 40's and earlier. They don't typically have cellars or typical foundations.

Think your almost better off cherry picking with the 3030 or Nox for that instead of a PI. Used my SH a few times at local puddles here and tend beat myself up digging stupid stuff at stupid depths but never really did any better than the ib machines. Amazes me how many bobby pins there are in the world....

I didn't look but there could have been some on one side (where I hunted) but it looks like the houses there are at least 40 years old. The pond is located in a big city so most of it has probably not changed much in a hundred years or more. If I had known about this when it first happened, the 3030 would have ruled this place, but now only a pulse would work in those reeds. You can lose a minimum of 6" trying to get close enough to the ground.

10 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Schoolofhardnoxs I enjoy your pain as for as junk goes, great photos. By the way junk nearly drove me mad, (some say it did) but the amount that you have illustrated I have very deep concern for your mental health.   😉   

My mental health was gone a long time ago 🤪

7 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

I've got to ask , how many hunts before you wear out the digger ?

Ya got my vote for the most holes on a single hunt , no contest.

The silvers made it worth doing though. 😉

Too bad you didn't get a shot at the other shore !!!

My digger really needs to be sharpened. Lucky the pond muck is relatively easy to dig in. My fault, I should have tried the other side when the fences were down, but I put it off. At least I got 2 gold rings and some silver out of the deal. Time to move onto a beach.

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

50's or early 60's would be my conclusion, also.  I'm surprised the axle survived.  In my finds they seem to be the first to disappear.  I think typically the axles are iron/steel, wheels plastic (metal on earlier ones?), body some kind of zinc alloy ('pot metal' on the cheapest ones).

When I was growing up (60's) there was a series called 'Matchbox' and on the bottom it said "Made in England by Lesney".  They were high quality and there are still many avid collectors with a few of the vehicles carrying crazy prices in top condition (especially with original box).  Mattel HotWheels kinda took over, I suppose partly because how cheap they were (and that 'cheap' includes poorer build quality).  Matchbox eventually followed suit (possibly they were bought out) and made cheapos in the Far East.  Almost all the ones I find detecting are HotWheels.

I'm sure many here are of my generation, likely remembering all this and probably had collections of their own growing up.  Sorry for the ramble.  For some of us, finding things that remind us of our youth is part of the enjoyment.

I remember Matchbox and Hot wheels too. I never got much into toy cars, I was always outside running around and not generally a still kind of kid. But I do remember playing with some toys like Switch and Go and that big ramp that Hot Wheels had along with a bunch of cars to go with it. All you did was let it go from the top of the ramp and it may have had a loop to the track as well. I guess i was bored so I went outside 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1