For Those In The Know On Whites

Knomad

Questions --

So, what is going on with Whites and Garrett.?  It appears all Garrett has done is Re-Release the 24k, and I see no other mention of anything else they are doing with the assets they purchased, it's hard to believe they purchased the company for one detector and it's tooling, Any idea what they paid for the company?

For those of us that have been around for decades, the loss of Whites was and is a Big Deal, for although the company went downhill after it's founders death, it still has So Much history of innovation and top notch products it is hard to believe they did not have designs on the books that Garrett could take advantage of, So Where are they.?

If you think I am wrong, just look at even today Whites machines are Regularly mentioned, and often in a good light.

How about a New V4i.?  The technology of the V3i was on par or better then almost any machine today, just wrap it in fast electronics and more simultaneous multi frequencies and a simplified interface and with that color screen and graph and other features and good ergonomics it's a sure winner.!  A new TDI with similar upgrades?

A related question -- What is Garrett doing these days?  I have seen nothing of note from them in years, just average rehashed junk, the AT series was ok but is old tech repeatedly Rehashed long ago, How about a new Pi.?  even just an ATX in a light package at a good price may keep them in the game.!

• Like 4

The answers to most of your questions are here on the forum already.  A bit of searching (by you) will find them.  Some ideas:  look through the Garrett specific subforum; look at the posts by user Geotech (Carl Moreland who previously worked at White's and has commented on both the V3 and TDI since he was involved in both).  Use Google search with keywords such as both 'Garrett' and 'Whites'.

Your views on the viability of Garrett making money off of White's products don't seem to be in line with what others have said, but that alone doesn't mean you are wrong....

• The title was changed to For Those In The Know On Whites

Garrett recently released their first multi, and entry level model, the Apex. And the 24K reintroduction. They are not sitting still, just not moving fast enough for you obviously. I expect we will see more new stuff as a lot of the lineup is getting pretty old. But reintroducing models that by definition failed to keep Whites alive is probably not a high priority. Frankly, the market has moved on. With the exception of the display, the new V4i you mention is called the Equinox, or Deus 2, or Legend.

• Like 2

I see what you are saying Steve -- " the new V4i you mention is called the Equinox, or Deus 2, or Legend."

But Note, none of these are either Garrett or Whites, and lets face it the Apex is not really in the performance class of at least the Equinox and Deus.  I'm not impressed, and hate to see American companies get behind in technology, when for decades Whites kept at the leading edge.

• Like 1

The Apex is the start of things to come, which is why they made it entry level while they're sorting out their multi frequency technology, in the meantime their entry level customers get quite a step up from the Ace series they were buying.

It shows Garrett is still alive and kicking and you can bet right now they're working on a high end multi machine. at least by the competition revealing their cards now they know what they have to do, and they can try and better it.

The 24k filled a big hole in their lineup, they had nothing sitting in it's spot, the AT Gold is more of a general purpose machine that is gold capable, now they've got a gold prospecting machine in their lineup and a damn good one at that.  It was a good move by them to bring the 24k onboard.  I hope it sells well for them as it's possibly the best dedicated gold VLF on the market.  I certainly like it best out of my dedicated prospecting VLF's.

• Like 4