So You Hate Wearing Masks

Due to Strychnine poisoning for dingo control in West Australia you have to watch out for your pet. Strychnine poisoning in animals occurs usually from ingestion of baits designed for use against rodents (especially gophers and moles) and coyotes. Rodent baits are commonly available over-the-counter, but coyote baits are illegal in the United States. However, since 1990 in the United States most baits containing strychnine have been replaced with zinc phosphide baits.[8] The most common domestic animal to be affected is the dog, either through accidental ingestion or intentional poisoning. The onset of symptoms is 10 to 120 minutes after ingestion.[9] Symptoms include seizures, a "sawhorse" stance, and opisthotonus (rigid extension of all four limbs). Death is usually secondary to respiratory paralysis. Treatment is by detoxification using activated charcoal, pentobarbital for the symptoms, and artificial respiration for apnea.

This is one way to keep your pet safe.    .....   Edit this is not my dog, but he is a beautiful model for this post. 

517_64e4e45806f6b3f9cb7b48a57012d224.thumb.jpeg.bfce0da5857c50193a321309a90bc83c.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Oh my! 2

I have not seen the zinc phosphide baits around here... mostly what we have here (California) are the anticoagulants..death is a lot slower via internal bleeding...the dogs and horses I've seen are usually bleeding through the mucus membranes (gums and eyes) they can be saved with vitamin K if got to early enough. A dog can eat a poisoned squirrel, rat etc and then get sick. Pentobarbital at low doses used to be used as an anesthetic in Vet med but these days we use it for euthanasia purposes. Once again the dead animal is toxic...a colleague of mine got in trouble years ago because he put down a horse and the owners did not dispose of it and it was left out in a field where two golden eagles fed on it and were found dead by a warden. It is the owners responsibility to get rid of the dead animal usually a tallow company removes it...If I remember right the wardens started with him but finally the owner of the horse was fined. 

strick

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

13 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Due to Strychnine poisoning for dingo control in West Australia you have to watch out for your pet. Strychnine poisoning in animals occurs usually from ingestion of baits designed for use against rodents (especially gophers and moles) and coyotes. Rodent baits are commonly available over-the-counter, but coyote baits are illegal in the United States. However, since 1990 in the United States most baits containing strychnine have been replaced with zinc phosphide baits.[8] The most common domestic animal to be affected is the dog, either through accidental ingestion or intentional poisoning. The onset of symptoms is 10 to 120 minutes after ingestion.[9] Symptoms include seizures, a "sawhorse" stance, and opisthotonus (rigid extension of all four limbs). Death is usually secondary to respiratory paralysis. Treatment is by detoxification using activated charcoal, pentobarbital for the symptoms, and artificial respiration for apnea.

This is one way to keep your pet safe.    .....   Edit this is not my dog, but he is a beautiful model for this post. 

517_64e4e45806f6b3f9cb7b48a57012d224.thumb.jpeg.bfce0da5857c50193a321309a90bc83c.jpeg

Animal control in the US uses coyote baits with cyanide- a friend’s family dog died from one while he and his son were out for a walk. It was really tragic.  I hope your post helps protect some family pets. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There used to be coyote trappers or hunters towards the west end of Gold Basin that has poison traps hidden. Met them one day and they told me to not take my dog with me in that area. Not sure if they are still out there these days, but just a heads up.

A family where I live lost both their dogs to coyote bait a few years back, it was a big debate because the trappers set the baits literally right by a residential area, and the state permitted it. The trappers won and still set bait there, so any dog that jumps a fence is basically dead. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

On 4/16/2022 at 7:18 PM, geof_junk said:

1080 is also commonly used for wild dog control in WA aswell as Queensland. Definitely not something you want your dog getting a hold of.

• The title was changed to So You Hate Wearing Masks
5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The month I spent with JP in Oz, his dog was masked up the entire time. Kind of sucks, but having a dog get poisoned would suck even more.

I know a lot of people who have tragically lost dogs in WA to baits, an absolutely horrible and inhumane way to die. If you love your dog like I do you make them put their mask on and you check often that its still on and worn properly. Mia hated it with a passion and would come up to me and plead to have it removed.

I’ve had two dogs over the years that were full time prospecting with me in WA and both dogs lived to ripe old ages with Mia now in her golden years at 14, however with the way they now blanket lay baits in WA I will not be getting another dog for prospecting once Mia retires 😞, the risk these days even with a muzzle on is just too great. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Would be unthinkable here in the US. Dogs are more valued and loved than most people, probably for good reason.

GC 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 6:23 AM, Gold Catcher said:

Would be unthinkable here in the US. Dogs are more valued and loved than most people, probably for good reason.

GC 

Dogs are loved and Valued here too, but in the pastoral industry wild dogs do an immense amount of damage to livestock, seeing a paddock with a 100 sheep with their insides ripped out in one night is pretty horrific too. Wild dog populations can get out of control and when it does they will roam in large packs and have been known to hunt and pull down camels. 

Baiting is a necessary evil that is closely controlled and monitored by the government, not just anyone can bait willy-nilly.

JP

• Like 5

Will also add to what JP said and that’s you don’t want a pack of wild dogs on to you while you’re prospecting either.

You see one? Get out of there. More than one? You may be in for a bit of a ride.

• Like 2