So You Hate Wearing Masks

3 minutes ago, Sheppo said:

Will also add to what JP said and that’s you don’t want a pack of wild dogs on to you while you’re prospecting either.

You see one? Get out of there. More than one? You may be in for a bit of a ride.

We should be allowed to carry a 9mm pistol if prospecting remotely………it’s a long walk back to camp for the 30.30

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

We should be allowed to carry a 9mm pistol if prospecting remotely………it’s a long walk back to camp for the 30.30

That’s a definite no-no here.

4 hours ago, Tony said:

I’d feel naked without my handgun. 
I started carrying one after a mountain lion stared me down some 30 years ago… 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sheppo said:

Will also add to what JP said and that’s you don’t want a pack of wild dogs on to you while you’re prospecting either.

You see one? Get out of there. More than one? You may be in for a bit of a ride.

I am am headset guy. Makes me always a bit nervous when prospecting in the middle if nowhere and I don't hear what's going on around me. Desert is a bit better than thick forrest where you can't see whats coming at you (animals or crazy guys on drugs- plenty of them in some areas).

GC

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 3:22 PM, GotAU? said:

Animal control in the US uses coyote baits with cyanide- a friend’s family dog died from one while he and his son were out for a walk. It was really tragic.  I hope your post helps protect some family pets. Thanks!

Please forgive the intrusion: "Animal control in, (a few states}, in the US uses coyote baits with cyanide" 

• U.S. NEWS DEC. 6, 2019  EPA approves coyote-killing 'cyanide bombs' for five states, South Dakota, Texas, Montana, Wyoming and New Mexico.

I grew up on a cattle ranch in the state of New Mexico, and at the age of 12, my dad and I  hunted and trapped coyotes in a very rural desert, and mountainous environment.  In order to protect the newborn calves from increasing coyote populations, ( as cruel as it may seem), we used lengths of barbed wire to insert into coyote dens, and "twist out" the coyote puppies in the spring. At that time, the use of poison to kill coyotes was illegal, and steel traps were not a perceived threat to pets, although they can be, especially near urban environments.

For an incentive, there was also a $5.00 dollar state bounty on coyotes, (plus the value of the pelt)  (Yes, they will chew their leg off to get out of a trap, but not if you run the trapline in 24 hrs, and if you use a "Drag" ( heavy, metal hook shaped anchor), so that the coyote can drag the trap, thinking that he/she is getting away; then you are able to track and find the trap/coyote in short order by following the drag trail to to the bush that the drag is hung up on.

Eventually, "coyote calling" became a popular sport and a more effective and humane method of controlling the proliferation of predators, without threat of harm to people's dogs. Later in life, after I moved to sheep country, It also provided a great opportunity to approach sheep ranch owners for permission to hunt/call coyotes on their land, which then opened the door to return to hunt during deer season. Coyote calling contests became popular for predator control, which seemed to be quite effective until public sensitivities brought that to a halt, and now, alas, it's back to the extreme danger of poisoning ☠. 

• Like 2

I’ve pondered that question of life many times Steve…. But I always end up asking myself where does it end?

Insects? Bacteria? Viruses? Or just mammals? Is there a line that gets crossed?

FWIW, I love lobster, but I’ll be damned if I ever toss another one in a pot of boiling water…. They actually scream…🤭

17 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

I am am headset guy. Makes me always a bit nervous when prospecting in the middle if nowhere and I don't hear what's going on around me. Desert is a bit better than thick forrest where you can't see whats coming at you (animals or crazy guys on drugs- plenty of them in some areas).

GC

Yep my biggest fear and the reason I dont ever use headphones. Was detecting in a quite remote area on my own one day and heard a bark...then another bark, then a growl....Needless to say I hurried back to the car. The 7000 would have turned into an expensive club that day if it was needed. If i am going to be attacked by dogs, I would rather stand a chance of hearing them first. I even start heading back to the car if I see a reasonable fresh dog poo!!

I am not really a fan of killing animals, however with the sheep and cattle losses here to wild dog packs, I understand it.

• Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, Tom T said:

I’ve pondered that question of life many times Steve…. But I always end up asking myself where does it end?

Insects? Bacteria? Viruses? Or just mammals? Is there a line that gets crossed?

FWIW, I love lobster, but I’ll be damned if I ever toss another one in a pot of boiling water…. They actually scream…🤭

We draw our own lines in life. For me, it's about not being a zealot, and doing the best I can. I know that sometimes there are no perfect answers, sometimes we make the wrong choice, but that's never an excuse not to try and do better. It's hard choices that define us, not easy answers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I try to be the same, I’m not going to micro manage every step I take for fear of walking on an ant but at the same time I will definitely not deliberately drive over a poisonous snake just because it’s on the road. When I buy meat I try not to cook excess amounts and I never leave anything on my plate, I always try not to waste any of it because an animal had to die so I could eat, that deserves my respect.

Being accountable for the impact you have on this world is something we all need to consider especially in this sanitised and washed world we humans have created. Which brings me back to prospecting, it keeps you grounded when you have to sweat a little and get your hands dirty. Am I a raving greenie? I don't think so, I’m just trying to be a responsible human being.

JP

• Like 7