Well, my Son did it and turned up with a SDC in exchange for my 5000 for Easter. Went off to try the SDC, left him with Z to compare with 5000 and new age coils, he was fairly impressed with performance of 5000 with the Elite 14" but in using the Z to compare he is now spoilt and talking Z Z Z Z only. Suspect the 5000 is history, regardless that the new age coils have increased the performance of the 5000, the stability of the Z has swung him.

The SDC, it is super stable and a small piece magnet, good fun and will complement the Z. It is the small coil gold detector for those pieces around boulders the Z just can`t get at, plus for those shallow pieces that recovering is time consuming for the Z.

• Like 4

Norvic,

My wife and I agree.  We use them (SDC & Z) the same way.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Mitchel,

Hopefully I can now get my Missus out there swinging, I was really amazed at the SDCs, Z like handling of some pretty difficult ground. Ground that requires slowing right down with the 5000. Certainly they are a good pair whose strengths complement each other. Easter Bunny and GoG was very good to me.

I no longer have an SDC and so am waiting patiently for a small coil for the GPZ. The small coil on the SDC not only gets into tighter locations but makes for much easier pinpointing when sniping small gold. In theory the GPZ with small coil should not only match the SDC for performance on small gold but should exceed it. The SDC as a pulse induction machine does a fantastic job but still has gaps in its detection ability because of the nature of PI technology.

There will always be a place for the SDC however. It certainly costs far less than the GPZ and weighs less. And that waterproof fold up stick in a rucksack design just screams cool. I really enjoy showing the machine to somebody that has never seen one. The SDC has an undeniable wow factor.  I do not think there is an easier detector to operate that I could put in the hands of a novice to find their first nugget.

• Like 1

Other than its WOW factor, as you state, it has it over the Z in one very Important area, because of the small coil, it can be worked around boulders etc etc where the experienced operator knows a small coil is the go. My SDC on its 3rd partial outing, (yesterday),(naturally Z does most work most days) has found its first patch, which the Z will be cleaning up. Without the SDCs small coil the indicator nuggets to this patch would have not been found, this ground had been worked by many VLFs, PIs and many operators over many years and been walked away from. Although a GM2, around 20 years plus ago, got the first indicator nugget. Just wasn`t enough detecting power to go further nor any subsequent PI until the SDC & Z team. The gold though small was deep out of VLF range in difficult ground, the SDC purred over. No doubt if the Zs coil could have been gotten on the ground it would have got these indicator nuggets plus more.

In my part of the world, I feel the SDC to be a complement to the Z as stated, in my experience the Z has proven to be the Alpha gold detector (no doubt) whilst the SDC is fast proving to be the Beta(more runs needed). It could be said it lucked onto this patch but that would negate many years of operator experience, persistence licks luck always in the long run. I suspect the folded up SDC will be a part of this operators armory, probably residing in the backpack on the longer Z hunts. Time will tell.

Just one question I ask myself, Why didn`t I get one before????????? Bloody stubborn old codger syndrome.

Come on ML, small coil for the Z pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!!!!!!!

If I sound excited, tis because I am. On Ya ML.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By rob baum
      I bought a house in meadview about 4 years ago.  Every couple months when I go there I try to get over to gold basin to do some detecting or drywashing.  It took me a couple years to find my first nugget out there and its been a couple of years since then and I havent found another.  I swing an SDC and I've read people have done pretty good out there with that model.  I find plenty of lead and boot tacks a inch or two down but not much deeper than that.   What settings are people using out there?  How deep down are people finding the gold?  Would I be better off with a  different model that can go deeper?  I'm not very confident in my abilities since I learned this machine on my own and have only found 2 pieces in the 4 years and dozens of times I've used it.  Any advice would be appreciated. 
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      Here's the 1st video Minelab USA did for TV.  You might know the English sounding dude from FL.
      What's interesting is we were able to see Minelab Mine Detector as it turned into a gold detector.
      The comments towards the end about seeing what's in the ground before you dig it, I'm still waiting.
      Do you feel, we'll see a detector that can actually see the item or at least the shape of it with any accuracy and if so how long out?

• By PPP
      Hi!
      Another classic question,but i have a ctx3030 with 17inch coil and do mostly detecting in the saltwater.It goes deep and thats what i'm looking for,depth,,I know that SDC2300 is a PI machine and very sensitive to gold.But when it comes to depth comparison in saltwater and knowing the SDC2300 has 8 inch coil,then the question is which detector goes deeper?is it worth buying that expensive unit just for saltwater beahhunting? 
    • By Bear
      Glad to see Simon is back.
      I know there are previous posts about SDC battery compartment seal, I had problems with mine this summer.  

Here is the background that I have posted about before.
      I dredge in an old cut that wasn’t cleaned that good into the bedrock.  The bedrock is a quartz muscovite schist that through frost shattering and dissolution is deeply weathered making it easy to dredge into for a couple of feet.  Because it is a cut the water is always murky and work is done by feel.  A couple of years ago I dug a big section that I thought was cleaned up.  Previously I seen a guy use an Excalibur to check where he had dredged so I took the SDC in.  There was targets so dredged deeper and recovered a couple more nuggets.  Now this has become standard practice.  
      This summer while changing the batteries there was water in the battery compartment.  I cleaned and dried the compartment.  Also cleaned the seal and the machine worked fine but I would like to change it.  Through a search nobody sells replacements?
    • By Lunk
      With the fantastic weather in the Rye Patch region during the month of October, I was chomping at the bit to get down there, but my summer job didn't end until the 30th. It still took me a few days afterward to get everything wrapped up, so I finally hit the road and met up with Gerry and friends at Rye Patch the following Tuesday. The detector training class we were scheduled to give that weekend ended up being cancelled, thanks to a winter storm that was forecast to move into the area on Friday. Needless to say, having only two days of optimal detecting conditions before being snowed out and forced to move on to Arizona was a total bummer.😞 Intent on finding a few bits of gold in-spite of the looming storm system and armed with our trusty Minelab GPZ 7000 gold detectors (and one SDC 2300 - also quite trusty, btw), we hit an old patch in hopes of digging up some previously overlooked yellow metal. Only two small nuggets were found after a couple of hours searching with four coils on the ground - not a very good start. It was then that I remembered another old patch nearby that I had completely forgotten about, it had been so long since I had been there. It wasn't a very good producer back in the day, but perhaps we would be able to find a few nuggets that the VLF and early PI machines may have left behind. Within minutes of hitting the ground, my good friend Chef Rusty and I both popped a shallow sub-gram nugget; not a bad start. Soon, everyone was digging good gold! My second target gave an obvious yet deep sounding signal response from the GPZ's stock 14” coil. I imagined it to be a three or four gram piece at a depth of 12” to 18”. Gerry noticed me digging quite an excavation and came over to capture the action on video. At a measured depth of 20”, the target was finally out of the hole, and as I held it aloft there was an audible gasp from the audience that had gathered to watch, followed by cheers and fist-bumps:

After a thorough cleaning, the specimen weighed in at a whopping 40 grams - a totally unexpected and pleasant surprise! The nuggets kept biting sporadically for everyone the rest of the day, and the same was repeated the following day. Just goes to show that sometimes the ZVT tech can really ignite an old burned-out nugget patch. Much fun was had by all, and it really made up for such a short two-day detecting trip. Pictured below are my finds, including the 40 gram chunk, a couple nuggets at over 8 grams, and all the small bits, with a total combined weight of over 66 grams.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Four used ones advertised on The Classifieds in the last couple days, one sold already. Seems like Gerry’s circle of people... you know something the rest of us do not know Gerry?