White's MX Sport To MXT Coil Adapter

Here are a couple threads on how to make an adapter to run existing coils for the MXT, M6 etc. (Eclipse series) on the MX Sport. This would be a huge boon to those with large dollar investments in existing coils, especially aftermarket coils or even White's own coils that they are not making for the MX Sport.

White MX Sport coil adapter...

Finished the MX Sport Coil Adapter...

• Like 4

That is great for the ones as you say have lots of MXT coils. But I'm one of many that may not have any MXT coils.

I myself would like one of the six inch round coils. I'd really like it to come from White's and the plug don't have to be waterproof but most coils are. In that way you could water hunt as long you didn't get too deep.

Thanks for the post. This will help some people out there.

Chuck 

That's gotta be more than handy for the new Sport owners.

Once they can get their hands on the adaptors they'll be getting full use out of their units.

The aftermarket mod guys, you've really got to hand it to them...

I notice one of the guys seems to think the eclipse coil he's tried works fine via the adaptor on air tests inside.

And another is set to try out the 6"x4" soon.

Going to be interesting to see if all performs well in normal in real world detecting.

We all know what happens when some manufacturers are in denial....

Coils working aside the main reason I see quoted as to why adapters do not work is that they create a weak point in the connection. That however is a function of using a pigtail, and problems like that presumably are why engineers exist. A solid single piece screw on adapter would be preferable. Unfortunately unless one already exists on a shelf somewhere a pigtail is just easier and therefore cheaper/more expedient.

There are many people out there with a half dozen or more coils owned at near $1000 invested. An adapter will not damage anything and sure worth a few bucks to give it a go. If even half the coils worked fine a huge savings. People are going to do it anyway so it will be interesting how reality matches up with White's statement on the matter.

I personally have a 4" X 6" Shooter coil, 6" x 10" DD, 12" round concentric, and 12" x 15" Detech coils plus my Bigfoot. I will be acquiring an adapter and giving them all a go so that will be a start.

• Like 1

It'll be extremely interesting how/if  both the large Detech and bigfoot coil will gell to the unit.

Especially the Detech in Prospecting Mode.

I feel I get far too critical with a unit in overall performance. But I just may find the Sport has a couple of specific applications for me in the end, if the adaptor mod ends up being nice and true.

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I personally have a 4" X 6" Shooter coil, 6" x 10" DD, 12" round concentric, and 12" x 15" Detech coils plus my Bigfoot. I will be acquiring an adapter and giving them all a go so that will be a start.

Steve, I'm curious, using the 12"x15" Detech on the MXT, how does that compare to a PI for depth?  Is it impressive or mildly better than a stock MXT?

I was detecting an area where I had removed all the dead branches and went over the ground with a stock MXT Pro with the factory coil.  I had my buddy detect the same ground with his 5K in Sharp timing using a 9"x14" Coiltek Coil, and faintly heard a target and 8 inches later out popped a .7dwt nugget.  I wasn't able to hear the target in the ground with the MXT but with the larger coil I wonder how much of a advantage that would be?  I don't remember what mode I was using with the MXT, as it was a few years ago. 

Thank you,

Brian.