Rye Patch Nevada - Dreams, Adventure, Failure & A Little Gold. - Long Read

Nice writeup Gerry, hope to meet up sometime in the near future- keep on writing and sharing the adventures!

• Like 1

Looks like Lady Diane and Diane picked up some bad gold in mouth habits from someone. Nice write-up Gerry. 

• Haha 2

Great story Gerry, thanks for taking the time to write it up. Yup, April in Nevada is a total crap shoot day to day. Weather forecasts are near useless, especially out in the desert, where the mountains make their own weather. I’ve had sunny blue forecasts that ended up rain or snow so often it’s ridiculous. Like half the time. The wind is the worst, as it makes nice cool days into cutting cold. Last time out the gusts were almost knocking me over, and it makes even hearing a detector with headphones a real challenge. Last year mid-April we had a solid week of blizzard like snow conditions, so April in particular I really recommend people be prepared for anything, with temps down in the teens at night not uncommon. Be sure the antifreeze in your car is up to snuff if coming from Florida! And if it pours rain out in the desert, be prepared to just park and wait until the roads dry, or face some of the worst driving conditions you’ll ever encounter. That desert gumbo is not to be taken lightly.

Or you may get nice sunny days in the 80s and a light breeze, cool mornings…. as nice as it can get out there! :smile:

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Great story Gerry, thanks for taking the time to write it up. Yup, April in Nevada is a total crap shoot day to day. Weather forecasts are near useless, especially out in the desert, where the mountains make their own weather. I’ve had sunny blue forecasts that ended up rain or snow so often it’s ridiculous. Like half the time. The wind is the worst, as it makes nice cool days into cutting cold. Last time out the gusts were almost knocking me over, and it makes even hearing a detector with headphones a real challenge. Last year mid-April we had a solid week of blizzard like snow conditions, so April in particular I really recommend people be prepared for anything, with temps down in the teens at night not uncommon. Be sure the antifreeze in your car is up to snuff if coming from Florida! And if it pours rain out in the desert, be prepared to just park and wait until the roads dry, or face some of the worst driving conditions you’ll ever encounter. That desert gumbo is not to be taken lightly.

Or you may get nice sunny days in the 80s and a light breeze, cool mornings…. as nice as it can get out there! :smile:

Or, you could just live vicariously as I do over here in Northern California. I admit, it's not as much fun and no gold.

I love stories like this, especially without the discomfort. :smile:

• Like 2