Legend 6" Coil Ears

I've noticed there is a bunch of people making gizmo's to center their shaft on the 6" coil, is this necessary? What's the 6" coil like to swing?

I know I always hated the First Texas stock coil with the T2 because it had coil ears mounted nearer to the rear of the coil, it just felt weird but the little 6" shouldn't be too bad with them at the rear I guess?

So what's the verdict? Do people find it OK?

Here is one of the Gizmo's people are making

278461138_10160434711725190_2605290189608935338_n.thumb.jpg.bab6ba6f707ae35b67095982d4a7fe1a.jpg

I am a bit puzzled why they did the ears at the rear though.

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I've noticed there is a bunch of people making gizmo's to center their shaft on the 6" coil, is this necessary? What's the 6" coil like to swing?

I know I always hated the First Texas stock coil with the T2 because it had coil ears mounted nearer to the rear of the coil, it just felt weird but the little 6" shouldn't be too bad with them at the rear I guess?

So what's the verdict? Do people find it OK?

Here is one of the Gizmo's people are making

278461138_10160434711725190_2605290189608935338_n.thumb.jpg.bab6ba6f707ae35b67095982d4a7fe1a.jpg

I am a bit puzzled why they did the ears at the rear though.

personally phrunt I do not have an issue with where the ears are mounted but I would have liked it more if they would have put the ears closer to center on the 6 inch coil I am not using the six inch enough to make much of a difference in my detecting as I am hunting fairly open areas rite now next week I will be hunting a park that's pretty old and what I have found out no one ever detects it, so I may use the six inch more just to hit the shallower targets first and then switch to see if there is anything deeper and that may change my thinking

t

• Like 1

I don't have a Legend 6" coil so I can't say how it feels when swinging it and if there is an ergonomics reason for making those centering contraptions.

In the past, Nokta Makro like First Texas and even some Minelab smaller coils, has put their coil connection point on smaller coils nearer to the rear of the coil.

For me, if I was gold prospecting with a small coil like the Legend 6" I would appreciate the slightly larger area on top of the coil for sweeping my plastic scoop or hand over it created by the offset. Using other detector's 5 to 6" coils with a center mount, I basically have to flip the coil over and just use the bottom of the coil since there isn't a lot of room for sweeping a scoop or my hand on top of the coil.

• Like 3

I have the 6 inch coil on mine and the only reason I could see would be to help keep the coil level with the ground.  What I mean by that is, currently you cant nudge the bottom of the 6 inch coil to level it out.  You have to tap the front of the coil with your toe to level it out. Other than that, not issues from me with the 6 inch.  

• Like 4

I was wondering about detecting in rocky areas getting bumped on rocks a lot if it would flop around a lot more being mounted like that?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I don't have a Legend 6" coil so I can't say how it feels when swinging it and if there is an ergonomics reason for making those centering contraptions.

In the past, Nokta Makro like First Texas and even some Minelab smaller coils, has put their coil connection point on smaller coils nearer to the rear of the coil.

For me, if I was gold prospecting with a small coil like the Legend 6" I would appreciate the slightly larger area on top of the coil for sweeping my plastic scoop or hand over it created by the offset. Using other detector's 5 to 6" coils with a center mount, I basically have to flip the coil over and just use the bottom of the coil since there isn't a lot of room for sweeping a scoop or my hand on top of the coil.

people are complaining that it makes it hard to level the 6 inch coil to the ground when you are detecting because of how far back the shaft sits on the 6 inch coil personally I think those complain g need to learn to set the coil against the ground and tilt the shaft back to the angle they like but that's just me i am not going to add some conglomeration to the 6 inch coil to make it easier, those conglomerations make it look ugly as all get out

• Like 1

Rear mounted coils tend to nose up but it is so small why not just lock it in place?

• Like 2

No issue with the 6" coil because it's so light. I don't know why coils aren't centered on some coils.

Now the 11" coil isn't centered either. Again I don't know why it isn't. I turn it around when it's on my detector. Seems to help.

• Like 4