Legend 6" Coil Ears

9 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

No issue with the 6" coil because it's so light. I don't know why coils aren't centered on some coils.

Now the 11" coil isn't centered either. Again I don't know why it isn't. I turn it around when it's on my detector. Seems to help.

never thought about doing that LOL

I like the offset ears on my Fisher F75 "5 inch" round coil.

(1) When the coil is folded flat against the shaft for transportation, it's shorter with off-centre ears.
(2) I like to see the centre of the coil, it helps with pinpointing. I have a circular 15mm black label on the dead-centre of my white Fisher coil to further assist with pinpoint accuracy.
(3) We detect agricultural land a lot here in the U.K. When detecting cereal crop stubble, I fit the coil the reverse way round. This way, the shaft fouls the stubble much less. The coil can be swept between rows of stubble, for example.

So I'm fine with N-M's ears. I just think they should have made the coil 5 inch, not 6 inch across, and I'm not too fond of open spider designs on small coils either. But that can be largely solved with a 'solid' coil cover fitted.

ReversedCoil6726.jpg

• Like 2

Coil mounting about 1/3 up from tail seem to work well for me, still gives me the center to see for pp and don't nose up.

• Like 1

Yea I've never understood why they do open designs on small coils, the benefits on the big coils was cutting down the weight, but who really cares about that on these small coils, the benefits of it being solid are much more than the small weight it would add.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 11:28 PM, phrunt said:

I've noticed there is a bunch of people making gizmo's to center their shaft on the 6" coil, is this necessary? What's the 6" coil like to swing?

I know I always hated the First Texas stock coil with the T2 because it had coil ears mounted nearer to the rear of the coil, it just felt weird but the little 6" shouldn't be too bad with them at the rear I guess?

So what's the verdict? Do people find it OK?

Here is one of the Gizmo's people are making

278461138_10160434711725190_2605290189608935338_n.thumb.jpg.bab6ba6f707ae35b67095982d4a7fe1a.jpg

I am a bit puzzled why they did the ears at the rear though.

That's funny

On 4/19/2022 at 10:10 AM, kac said:

Coil mounting about 1/3 up from tail seem to work well for me, still gives me the center to see for pp and don't nose up.

I agree, 1/3 of the way to the center would be fantastic. I have the 6" coil, and it would be great there for adjusting and balance. 

• Like 1

Was going to say something but sent to Dilek instead.