My First Gold Coin- 1866s Quarter Eagle- XP Deus 2 Strikes First Gold!

That coin is in great shape. Congrats for sticking it out and digging through all that trash. I’m finding the Deus 2 a very effective machine. 

Strick

• Like 1

Can't deny that is a sweet looking coin! 😍

• Like 1

Just awesome.  Nothing like seeing that first glint of a gold coin partially sticking out of your plug.  I’ve had the good fortune of experiencing that first hand for myself and also watched as a buddy pop one out as I was standing there (after I verified for them it was a bona fide “dig me” target signal).  You will never forget it and the hope that lightning will strike again will keep you going for another 25 more years.

• Like 6

On 4/18/2022 at 9:55 PM, Joe D. said:

Wow🤯,

Looks to be in incredible condition!🍀 Can't wait to see what our forum coin experts comments are on it!! I'm guessing a professional cleaning and grading are in order! Keep it safe!!

Congratulations!🍻👍👍

20220419_011347.jpg

I'm not sure this coin will quite make it to uncirculated grade, but its a very solid about uncirculated at least, based on what I saw (as an amateur "coin grader") looking at the coin at 8x power with a magnifier.  I only saw very slight wear on a few high points of the lady liberty's hair and the tip of the top arrow on the reverse.  Must have been dropped after a very short time in circulation, so likely well before 1870.

I don't want to further clean the coin since I also saw some new faint scratches the coin obtained from the gravelly dirt when I pried up the plug.  Crazy to think the act of levering the coin while in the plug may have caused enough "damage" to knock off a lot of real value!  I think I need to look into getting some sort of ultra sonic cleaning done to gently remove the remaining dirt and stains.  This coin is worth patience cleaning since I read under 40,000 were made and under 200 examples thought to remain.  I don't know if I'd actually send it off for a professional grading, but this is the only coin I've ever found that would make sense to have that done.

I still can't believe what a rare and lucky find this was.  The curse is now I'm really thinking about other places with the right history where I can search to find more gold coins, haha!!   

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Just awesome.  Nothing like seeing that first glint of a gold coin partially sticking out of your plug.  I’ve had the good fortune of experiencing that first hand for myself and also watched as a buddy pop one out as I was standing there (after I verified for them it was a bona fide “dig me” target signal).  You will never forget it and the hope that lightning will strike again will keep you going for another 25 more years.

Its really funny you mention seeing "that first glint of a gold coin" once you pop out the plug, and the excitement it brings.  Just the week before I dug this gold coin, I had a heart-stopper moment where this very thing happened.  I was about 50 feet away from the location of the $2.50 gold coin when after popping a plug, I saw a golden, reeded edge of a coin sticking out of the bottom of the hole.  I had been digging pull tabs and aluminum range signals like crazy since the past fall with my ML Equinox, knowing gold coins could be a "15" and this location could have them.  I thought I had done it, my first gold coin, but alas, this is what I found, pictured below.  :rolleyes:  Really crazy what you find out detecting.  I never imagined I'd get this coin, and wonder how it made its way to the spot I found it. 

The nickel in the picture is to show the size of this other "gold" coin I found. 

20220420_081819.jpg

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 1

16 hours ago, Calmark said:

...  This coin is worth patience cleaning since I read under 40,000 were made and under 200 examples thought to remain.  I don't know if I'd actually send it off for a professional grading, but this is the only coin I've ever found that would make sense to have that done.

I still can't believe what a rare and lucky find this was.  The curse is now I'm really thinking about other places with the right history where I can search to find more gold coins, haha!!   

You know the coin value ? It seems to be a rare coin ...

I looked up ebay listings for this coin. It appears $1500-$3000US is the range sellers have listed coins in this condition.

I think its pretty safe to say this one find paid off my Deus 2.  This wasn't something I needed to do, or I expected to happen so quickly, but is certainly a welcome surprise. 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

Congratulations on the end of a long journey and the beginning of the next.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Calmark said:

I looked up ebay listings for this coin. It appears $1500-$3000US is the range sellers have listed coins in this condition.

I think its pretty safe to say this one find paid off my Deus 2.  This wasn't something I needed to do, or I expected to happen so quickly, but is certainly a welcome surprise. 😁

A D2 paid off in 2 or 3 months ... This will be difficult to beat ... 🙂 🙂 

• Like 2