Beach Hunt Day 5 - Mission Fail And Almost Total Skunk

Posting this for y'all that may think detecting is always fruitful.ย  ๐Ÿคฃ

I went to the beach I've hunted for the past couple days, I had about 4 hours, 2 before and 2 after low tide. Today I had the Deus 2.

I spent 2 hours looking for the stainless wallet a fisherman asked me to find, I had hoped that area might be fruitful as well because not many go out there.ย 

It was kinda chilly today so not many people out there. This is 3 PM:20220419_150316.thumb.jpg.4fdcf449cb9b21037f63399c5a5567e1.jpg

Poked around the point the fisherman described, it was loaded with big birds with equally big beaks. ๐Ÿคฃ Maybe I've seen too many Hitchcock films, but it was creepy.

20220419_152100.thumb.jpg.0e3a8ad8e144a50b120f8b4ac12bc972.jpg20220419_152102.thumb.jpg.abda2667232d7bb9c202e2f23f13b660.jpg

it doesn't look like it but there were hundreds of birds there. I searched the tidal pools and looked all around the massive expanse of beach, and decided that the guy's wallet was on its way to the Gulf Stream. Sent him a text saying no luck, and headed back to the other beach. I really didn't get a signal at all!

Today I went above the line where I got all those earrings yesterday, and heard next to nothing. My trash was more interesting than my finds:20220419_181050.thumb.jpg.69b7743ae7b78c8c265e7c7cc2e7a9c5.jpg

I had to post this in RVpopeye's Post Your Junk thread. It was just too funny. This is maybe the second time in a year and a half of detecting that I got almost totally skunked. All I got was a 1970 quarter as I was about to pack it in. ๐Ÿ˜€20220419_181300.thumb.jpg.02c9f817933d687c0052779edeecb9b9.jpg

Well yay. ๐Ÿ‘

The most amusing and sad thing was that at one point I heard the unmistakable beeping of a Garrett Carrot, I looked up and there was a guy with a Bounty Hunter Tracker with a backpack and a Carrot coming into the beach, he had a small trowel. I think he saw me too, and when I came back down the beach about 15 minutes later he was putting it away. I didn't see much evidence of him digging anything as I covered the rest of the high ground.

One thing I did do was play with bottle cap reject a bit, I'm on the 3/11 version so I had to crank it to 5 to break up the caps today. 3 wasn't getting it, it seems no surprise they made changes for the 0.7 release.

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 1

No worries BG,

ย  ย Happens to experienced and newbie alike! Sanded in, and/orย  seldom used beaches, plus wide and expansive beachs, are oftentimes the needle in a haystack type of days! Not unlike some of your very large fields! Gotta have the right conditions, and that "human use" factor to make some finds!!

Just remember what Mel Fisher used to say every day of his hunts!ย  " Today's The Day"!

Worked out well for him!!๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Like 2

I thought I told you to use the NOX yesterday for good luck.

Happens to everyone so don't worry to much about it,

Good luck on your next hunt and take the NOX.

ย 

• Haha 3

If you have iron audio on can you get any iron signals from the nose of the coil when hitting bottle caps? This is something the ORX can't seem to do.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Posting this for y'all that may think detecting is always fruitful.ย  ๐Ÿคฃ

Water affected by tides adds a whole new dimension compared to dry land or even freshwater detecting.ย  You've just experienced the bad side of that.ย  From what I've read (e.g. schoolofhardNox's posts, but others around the world, too) the opposite extreme, though less common, pays back in spades.

BTW, Bay of Fundy is between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and not close to or influenced by the Saint Lawrence River or Gulf of St. Lawrence.ย  Until I joined here I thought understanding tides was simple.ย  Now I know it's not even close to that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks GB, did much better today, post forthcoming. ๐Ÿ™‚

All I could think of was "up St. Lawrence way", when my wife and I had a big boat we thought of doing "the loop", some of our yacht club members did it.

Seeing the whole trip and hearing about the Bay of Fundy kinda slowed that down. ๐Ÿ˜ย 

That was a long time ago.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, kac said:

If you have iron audio on can you get any iron signals from the nose of the coil when hitting bottle caps? This is something the ORX can't seem to do.

The bottle cap filter effectively "breaks up" the good tones produced over a bottle cap, kind of an iron balance.. It's a good feature they added with this last release. Just have to be careful with newer releases Iย  haven't installed. I'll try that though with one of the sighted ones tomorrow. ๐Ÿ‘ย With the Equinox you just push F2 iron balance up a bit, to full on the 600. It works great but I'm always worried I'll miss small gold.

• Like 1

Bottle caps on a DD coil ring in pretty high, closer to pennies etc. On a concentric they come in closer to nickels. Most gold is below a nickel. I have found some "gold" rings that came in above nickelsย  but turned out they were rolled gold and not pure. All my pure gold rings 14k, 10k were below nickels with the exception of a class ring that was closer to a ring pull.

One easy trick for b caps is to set a tone break to hit on them so they give an off sound. Can save ya listening to iron tones. For my Tesoro when using a DD I will put the disc just slightly above iron mark so nosing off the cap will give a crackle, only option on a single tone machine.

• Like 2