Legend USA Coin Target ID Scale Thoughts

• The title was changed to Legend USA Coin Target ID Scale Thoughts

Your target ids are exactly what I am seeing.

Large aluminum is ringing in a clean 40 as well. Like cans. 

Haven't found any jewelry with it yet. I do dig 17s and such and so far it has been small aluminum or can slaw bits. 

Learning the Legend has been fun. Just when I think the machine is crazy I realize the machine is right and I am wrong. 

One thing I noticed today is I will crank evertthing up and I hear chatter, all tones, all metal mode or g mode, then for some reason the chatter stops. Everything goes quiet. I noticed that if I wait it will suddenly start chattering again. Like it goes to sleep when it hits a strong signal and I have to wait for it to recalibrate or something. Not sure what this is all about. 

Anyway, went out for 5 hours and found some good junk. Nothing good but it was hitting targets and that is what i wanted to see.

Digging iffy targets has been a mixed bag. This machine can go so deep an iffy signal could be super deep or just maybe not there. I see people losing iffy targets on videos, interpreting those iffy signals is an art. I still waste a lot of time chasing foil but I am learning the tones. 

One thing for sure, coins scream with 1.70. 

Thank you for your post, interpreting the ids and tones is critical and your numbers are 100% accurate based on my experience. 

• Like 4

To my ears the Legend is one of the best machines I've used when it comes to telling crown caps from other targets. The crown caps (so far anyway) just sound terrible - even if they ID as a good target (coin). The newer Corona crown caps often ID somewhere around 49-50 and the ID tends to be steady, but the sound is really off (verses a coin). I usually forget all about looking at Ferro check, so I can't really say how well it works at identifying crown caps.

Smashed screw caps (aluminum) are far more difficult (for me) to identify. The tone is close enough to a coin (usually 41-42 ID) that I can't tell for sure that the target isn't a coin. The size is close enough (to coin size) that while they often seem to be a tad too big (for a coin) I'm just not sure, so I dig them anyway. 

Park, M1, 60 tones with the low side at the lowest pitch and the high side at the highest pitch (my hearing picks up on the higher tones more readily). I did raise the iron volume with version 1.07 - I now run it at 3.

Jeff's list of target ID's is pretty much dead on in my experience so far.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tahts-a-dats-ago said:

To my ears the Legend is one of the best machines I've used when it comes to telling crown caps from other targets. The crown caps (so far anyway) just sound terrible - even if they ID as a good target (coin). The newer Corona crown caps often ID somewhere around 49-50 and the ID tends to be steady, but the sound is really off (verses a coin). I usually forget all about looking at Ferro check, so I can't really say how well it works at identifying crown caps.

Smashed screw caps (aluminum) are far more difficult (for me) to identify. The tone is close enough to a coin (usually 41-42 ID) that I can't tell for sure that the target isn't a coin. The size is close enough (to coin size) that while they often seem to be a tad too big (for a coin) I'm just not sure, so I dig them anyway. 

Park, M1, 60 tones with the low side at the lowest pitch and the high side at the highest pitch (my hearing picks up on the higher tones more readily). I did raise the iron volume with version 1.07 - I now run it at 3.

Jeff's list of target ID's is pretty much dead on in my experience so far.

I agree about the crown bottle caps and how well Ferro Check works. Calabash Digger does not. Check out my rebuttal to his latest Legend bashing videos over on Friendly under Detectors and Gear/all about detectors/Calabash bashes the Legend again.

I still have plenty to learn about the Legend. Why people make YouTube videos when they can't operate the detector according to the manual and then complain about how bad it is..........its beyond my meager comprehension.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Why people make YouTube videos when they can't operate the detector according to the manual and then complain about how bad it is..........its beyond my meager comprehension.

Step into the light Jeff...........🤣

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192306295884?var=492245804033&hash=item2cc659344c:g:PPcAAOSwHRxhr3xJ

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...

Just got the Legend after returning the nox 900 that I hated because of its erratic operation.  So far I’m liking the ferrous/nonferrous bars.  Haven’t found much yet.

Similar results to Jeff here. I run mainly in Park M1, too, although sometimes M3 if the soil is wet. 60 tones is my favorite, and I'll set recovery speed at 4-7, with the higher range for heavier trash environments. The local soil, however, is relatively low mineralization, which may account for some differences.

Nickels have a wider spread for me at 23-27. Usually they still center around a 25, but I have a couple places where a 23/24 is the usual tell. Never seen a nickel go beyond that spread, so I usually don't dig if a 22 or 28 shows on the display.

Pennies are all over the place, especially the zinc ones. Those start at 39 most of the time, and 39-42 if in good condition and then up to 47-48 if wasted. There's a ton of overlap between copper pennies and dimes in the 45-46 range, although dimes will more regularly give a 47 on repeated swings. If I see a 48 in the mix it's probably a copper penny, though.

Quarters center at a solid 50, although can range from 49 to 52, just like Jeff is seeing. I've yet to find any half dollars, so can't report on those IDs as a live find in the wild. Sacajawea dollars ring up like quarters if I recall correctly, although I haven't run into any of those since last summer.

• Like 1

This is good info. Thanks to all who posted about this. I just received my Legend today. Not took it out yet for a hunt. I'm really impressed with the build quality. It looks and feels well designed. To be totally honest, I didn't expect it to be this nice. It's not a "cheap" detector but it is less $$$ than a new Equinox. And it is an awful lot less than a Deus 2 or manticore. Looking forward to trying this one out in the next few days if the wind and rain don't ruin it.

This is my second Nokta/Makro detector. The first one was a Kruzer that turned out to be a defective dud. Can see that Nokta has changed a lot compared to that. Right now I'm totally fascinated with this Legend, there is nothing like the allure and mystery of a new detector. Happy Hunting

• Like 2

You are going to like the Legend.