Beach Hunt Day 6 - Well I Thought I Had Gold

Just now, MSC said:

Nice 350, waiting for days 7,8,9,10 and beyond.Β 

No way I'd bore y'all with that! 🀣 one more day, maybe two, but we're outta here soon. I want to get back to the relics. This is fun but no history.

Β 

• Like 1

Just now, MSC said:

not kidding, it is a good read, keep it up.Β 

Thanks! πŸ™‚ It's no prospecting adventure, just a modern day diary I guess. 😁

We did consider moving here about 10 years ago, I had a line on a great possibility in Savannah. Then a farmer bought all the gated community land in front of our house. 😎 Probably never have an HOA fee now.

There's truth in venomous snakes in sand dunes down here, I live across the Savannah River in South Carolina, I do work on custom homes here in the Hilton Head area, a couple of years ago I was doing custom cabinets in a new beach house, there was a crew of about 6 guys at the rear of the lot at the start of the sand dunes, they were digging up yucca plants that were in the way of the home's new boardwalk down to the beach being built, I heard a lot of yelling and high pitched voices coming from that way so I went out on the second story deck to see what was happening, I saw 4 of them running in all directionsΒ :th_panic: Β away from the yucca plants and another guy keeping his distance but looking intently at the last guy who was thrashing the ground with a shovel, a few minutes later he used the now broken shovel handle to pick up a battered and clearly dead 5 foot Diamond Back Rattlesnake!Β 

Me personally would rather catch the snake and release it later well away from people, in my neighborhood I'm known as the "snakeman", any time my neighbors see a snake in their yard they call me to get rid of it, I haven't killed s snake since I was maybe 6 or 7 years old, and it was the last and only one I killed.

I also would much rather confront the snake than to have to dig up a yucca plant, if a yucca plant is 3' to 4' tall it has a 6' to 8' tap root, been there done that and never want to do it again!!

The plants they were digging up were about 5' tall and there were numerous plants clustered together in a 8' circle of plants, snakes love yucca plants.

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

12 minutes ago, Gold Seeker said:

snakes love yucca plants.

Glad I haven't seen any Yucca. 😁 The article link pretty much says they put the signs there because people still walk over the dunes 😡 Worse, people were right up to them today hiding behind the sand fences. Gonna hunt those spots tomorrow! 😈 

I'm not particularly afraid of snakes either, I come across a lot of them back home, and let the copperheads go their way. Once I did have to get rid of a 5 foot black snake that was climbing all over the stairs to our RV, then later found mice had gotten in there. 🀬

Do you ever get down to Tybee? I imagine the finds are better in Hilton Head. πŸ‘ There are no high end accommodations here despite houses selling for millions. It's cheesy like the Outer Banks, that's why we like it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Glad I haven't seen any Yucca. 😁 The article link pretty much says they put the signs there because people still walk over the dunes 😡 Worse, people were right up to them today hiding behind the sand fences. Gonna hunt those spots tomorrow! 😈 

I'm not particularly afraid of snakes either, I come across a lot of them back home, and let the copperheads go their way. Once I did have to get rid of a 5 foot black snake that was climbing all over the stairs to our RV, then later found mice had gotten in there. 🀬

Do you ever get down to Tybee? I imagine the finds are better in Hilton Head. πŸ‘ There are no high end accommodations here despite houses selling for millions. It's cheesy like the Outer Banks, that's why we like it.

On a rare occasion I might go to Tybee, but there are numerous beaches over here so no need to go anywhere else when I ever get the time to go to the beach, I work to much and as old as I'm getting I don't haveΒ  the energy to go on my only day off, A.K.A. Sunday, if I ever retire the beach will see me more often, the last time I went the beach was to try and find a tourist's couple (wife) wedding ring, which she lost 2 days earlier, they found a cheap metal detector somewhere and tried to find it themselves the next day but no luck, I happened to just see the detector in their rental car when I stopped to get gas and started talking to them about detecting and offered to try and find her ring....but unfortunately after 2 days there was no finding it after searching for several hours and not to mention after several tide cycles that had passed since she lost it, but mostly because where they were there are numerous retired detectorists on the beach daily and I'm sure it was long gone and made a retired fellow very happy when it was found.Β 

They said it was a 3 carat diamond ring!!

• Oh my! 2

Β  Β Nice grouping of finds! Great job!! I've been able to find some chains with the Nox, but I dig most every signal at my beaches in Beach 2!

Β  Β The "Planted Dune" warning is taken seriously most anywhere that they have done renurishment and native plant replacement to help hold the dune! But inevitably the storms still destroy it! But people as a whole are very destructive on the dune system! And cause repeated, and continuous damage!

Β  Β Most beach areas my way are hunt between dune line and low tide! No dunes, and no water hunting!

Β  Β As far as the snake warning, that to me is mostly a scare tactic, as the majority of snake sightings are nonvenomous! After many decades of beach and woods hunting, I've only ran into a few venomous snakes (none at the beach yet), and let them be; it's there home, not mine! But one unlucky moccasin "was" overly aggressive!πŸ‘πŸ‘

Β Β 

• Like 3