The Truth About Separation!

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Maybe Calabash will put both of these honest feedback episodes together and come to some clarity............?

Calabash doesn't know how to use the Horseshoe mode on the Equinox and compare it to the D2 on a Salt Beach. 

Honesty is not his forte. Just, "his perceived honesty" 

After all,  if you do not do a certain test is does not exist? Right? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A great video even ignoring he's contradicting a misleading YouTube video.  I (and likely all of you) have seen this very effect in the field.  I've had it happen with no good target in the middle but just the two two trash targets -- one under each outer edge of the coil -- giving a good signal.

I have a ~1970 Garrett BFO with a coil that looks like an IB/VLF concentric, with one small inner coil concentric with a large outer coil.  But there's a switch on the detector control unit that allows you to choose which of the two is active.  The White's TDI (PI) dual field coils are a variation, except you don't get to choose since both inner and outer (~mono) coils are simultaneously active.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the breakdowns Loren speaks to and feel or strongly believe this or most of such knowledge was not in most our wheelhouses prior!? 

That said are we going to say testing 2 units on the same test isn't at all relevant to normal grab the machine you own and go detecting world we live in? I know this man with more brains atleast on particular issues than most of us will gladly be defaulted to by many for times to come, it's a strong logic/factual arguement so understandably will be used! 

Are we now blanketing all heads up test between units and setups for the most part widely used exactly as tested as irrelevant because of these things Loren points out?

Personally if I have a nox800 and prefer 11" coil or only have that one,legend same,d2 9 or 11",d1 same, insert your unit here and see it tested heads up same test,many configurations of test or scenarios on video I'm in the camp of if one consistently kicks others arse that's the one I want! No care in the world for well how was it setup unless i felt the scenarios were purposefully setup in a way detrimental to specific units!?

These separation test above ground aren't everything I'd even say not really close to in ground results at all. They do however test heads up same circumstance and I feel if one unit out performs the other consistently or more often then not tells me its mo'betta!? This is my opinion and unless I'm just not considering something major I feel pretty confident in this! 

If I was tested in arse kicking contests against 3 others with many starting points and different rule sets and consistently did most of the arse kicking I'd be the better arse kicker right? Lol 

I own a nox800 have owned atpro,multi kruzer and can say with confidence its superior to these units at a wide variety of performance based real world scenarios! Only thing I'd consider using nox over d2 would be clean field with very deep lead even then I'm not certain I couldn't fiddle with audio on D2 to make it sound nox like as just loud clear flutiness would be some reason of considering its use over d2 on edge of detection deep relics! I've tested deep relics in ground and nox is just loud and clear whr fulltones/pwm is faint but many audio adjustments are available.

• Oh my! 1

On 4/22/2022 at 10:37 AM, midalake said:

Calabash doesn't know how to use the Horseshoe mode on the Equinox and compare it to the D2 on a Salt Beach. 

Honesty is not his forte. Just, "his perceived honesty" 

After all,  if you do not do a certain test is does not exist? Right? 

I do and the D2 is better in iron than the 800 on the beach. Horseshoe mode on my primary beach is not useable. D2 on a trashy, extremely iron infested beach is superior to the 800. I have 4 years on the 800 and it's been great for me. D2 is better. 

• Oh my! 1

3 hours ago, diggindaboot said:

I do and the D2 is better in iron than the 800 on the beach. Horseshoe mode on my primary beach is not useable.

Friend, your statement is NOT what we focused on or tested for.

What we tested for Was:  Which machine could still identify deep nonferrous targets that would not TID anymore. 
The reliability at the edge of depth and which detector was deeper at doing so. We did not compare the Equinox at all out of the Horsehoe mode.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, midalake said:

Friend, your statement is NOT what we focused on or tested for.

What we tested for Was:  Which machine could still identify deep nonferrous targets that would not TID anymore. 
The reliability at the edge of depth and which detector was deeper at doing so. We did not compare the Equinox at all out of the Horsehoe mode.  

But you keep mentioning all metal in your post about Calabash.  All metal doesn't work at every beach. Especially by people who say they dig every signal. At my primary beach if you gridded an area of 20x20 you would be there for 24 hours digging iron bits, iron chunks and more iron until you couldn't dig anymore. If you're using just to check if it's ferrous or non ferrous, the D2 wins. 

Side by side hunt last Sunday with my buddy, we compared every signal for 3 hrs. D2 was superior at identifying targets and deeper. We've both used the 800 for 4 years. We know that detector and how to use it. D2 can do some special things especially on an iron infested beach. 

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1