The Truth About Separation!

6 hours ago, longbow62 said:

Diggindaboot I've been swinging the Equinox for almost 4 years. I'm not sure what your talking about when it comes to digging iron with the Equinox.

I guess if you're digging lots of ferrous with the Equinox, you in fact do not know how to use it. You would in fact, be terribly mistaken. 

I've found it extremely easy to tell what's iron and what's not iron. If your saying you have to investigate more falsing iron with the Equinox I might be able to buy that. Even in very old thick iron situations I can avoid digging much iron. I have not used the D2, but have a buddy that has one and maybe he doesn't know it well enough yet, but I'm the one telling him what's iron and what's not iron.  

I've found it extremely easy to tell what's iron and what's not iron. Tiny flakes of iron that TDI at 1 or 2, just like gold earrings are not discernable. Come dig on my primary beach and then go dig on another beach about 10 miles away from that one, and tell me you can discern the difference. If you don't have iron on your beaches then you don't know what I'm talking about. You people who don't live on the Texas Gulf Coast and hunt iron infested beaches can't speak for me.  Btw, I've had my 800 for 4 years. I know every program including all metal like the back of my hand. 

It's like telling someone in a different part of the country, who has higher or lower mineralization in their soil, they don't know what they're doing. They would out hunt you in their soil.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, diggindaboot said:

I've found it extremely easy to tell what's iron and what's not iron. Tiny flakes of iron that TDI at 1 or 2, just like gold earrings are not discernable. Come dig on my primary beach and then go dig on another beach about 10 miles away from that one, and tell me you can discern the difference. If you don't have iron on your beaches then you don't know what I'm talking about. You people who don't live on the Texas Gulf Coast and hunt iron infested beaches can't speak for me.  Btw, I've had my 800 for 4 years. I know every program including all metal like the back of my hand. 

It's like telling someone in a different part of the country, who has higher or lower mineralization in their soil, they don't know what they're doing. They would out hunt you in their soil.

💤

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Looks like the Equinox vs Deus 2 "fun" (not) is still brewing here too and is not going to just be left alone.

It's a shame that two and maybe even three (Legend) great detectors can't just be enjoyed for what they offer us. Instead, many people just want to believe and prove who has the biggest and best even though their only evidence comes from their little detecting worlds...............humans.

I like the Legend. I love NM products. I think they'll get the Legend dialed in with a few more updates. I think NM put out an outstanding product for their first crack at SMF. They did better than Garrett. 

I like the Deus, Deus 2, Equinox and Legend along with way too many other detectors!!!!

Absolutely no need to prove anything here under this topic as far as which is better at this place or that.

Simon is right in his first sentence above. Big name metal detector manufacturers are a lot less “who has the best” than people on these forums are.

• Like 3

On 5/5/2022 at 8:35 AM, diggindaboot said:

Loren says "anyone can contrive a situation", which also includes him. Calabash's nails were turned sideways.   Loren's nails were up and down. Calabash's test is the more difficult of the 2. I've tested side by side with the Legend and the 800. D2 will win in iron. I won't get rid of my 800. I know it too well and it's been great for me. My cousin has a Legend and my hunting buddy has a Legend. It's been fun to compare. That's coming from someone who was gonna sell the D2. Glad I didn't.

My first buried heads up test I literally had a damn this is not what I've been watching or hearing terrible feeling! Idk if I'll ever grab my nox800 and head out if the D2 is good to go as it is to me as deep,audio is best in the space,ergonomics best in the space and I swear I've never dug so much under so many nails or iron! No elevated nail test "1 nail down barrel 2" away same 2" higher plain" with 3 nails total"my typical daily time killer" is close between nox and D2. If nox does hit most angles its 1 way as D2 pitch audio will hit 90% angles both ways 2" off high nail and raise the coil 6" it can't fail! Of course the nail in coffin "pun intended!" Going and killin it at sights the nox lost signals of quality many hours ago!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Commonwealthdetector said:

My first buried heads up test I literally had a damn this is not what I've been watching or hearing terrible feeling! Idk if I'll ever grab my nox800 and head out if the D2 is good to go as it is to me as deep,audio is best in the space,ergonomics best in the space and I swear I've never dug so much under so many nails or iron! No elevated nail test "1 nail down barrel 2" away same 2" higher plain" with 3 nails total"my typical daily time killer" is close between nox and D2. If nox does hit most angles its 1 way as D2 pitch audio will hit 90% angles both ways 2" off high nail and raise the coil 6" it can't fail! Of course the nail in coffin "pun intended!" Going and killin it at sights the nox lost signals of quality many hours ago!

The 800 is a great detector. The D2 is amazing in iron. For me even if I'm only getting 20-30% more finds, it was worth the investment. Competition on the beach here is fierce. I'll take any advantage that I can get.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2022 at 11:02 AM, longbow62 said:

I've found it extremely easy to tell what's iron and what's not iron.

I don't know what this sentence even means, but IMO it's unfair to make such a statement as it can be (and will be in some cases) considered a put down.  "If you dig iron thinking it's non-ferrous, there's something wrong with you."  (That's my interpretation of how some will take such a statement.  I doubt it was your intent, but still....)

I've been using an Equinox for four years, too, and I still dig nails I think might be coins.  They are iffy signals and I could ignore them.  But I've found coins which sounded worse than some of the nails I've dug, so I'm not going to give those up just to avoid digging a few nails.  Am I using the Equinox perfectly.  Of course not.  But I'm using it the best way I know how, for my conditions and especially for my goals, interests, and pain tolerance.

Everyone has his/her internal (i.e. in the brain) threshold of what to dig and what to skip over.  And that's 100% fine in my book.

• Like 5

....The first thing that makes a really excellent detector is .... that it will give you a good signal to your destination ... where you have passed many detectors many times .... and even better .... when it can give you such a signal even with good and accurate VDI.....then you can only select targets with the correct VDI among the many targets that have been removed. ....

....If I have time, I will sometimes do some separation testing and comparison of the separation of different detectors that I own ...not only detectors but also different coils .... 3-4 different separation 2D and 3D tests are enough for this ....

... I am always interested in any separation situation that a given detector can or cannot separate .... and you will encounter certain separation limits ...

so you can evaluate the various detectors you own ...

... then find out how fast you can still sweep the coil ... so that the detection is successful ...

if you use several detectors to detect the same terrain ... find out very quickly .... what detector was able to detect ... and which signals passed ... if you use several coils on the detector ... you can find it relatively easily. ,, v in what situations the coil was made effective ...

... There are 2 types of detectors .... ,, one believes that a detector that will pass various separation tests ,, will present these capabilities in field detection ...

The second type of detector, on the other hand, does not want to be convinced by the results of separation tests ,,, and I will still believe that their detector separates well or is even the best ....

The truth is that detectors that achieve the best separation results in various tests ... I say that .. they have the so-called good separation DNA .... / "Predisposition" / ... are long considered excellent separation detectors even after many years production ...... ,, and also precisely because a lot of people ... in that time it will come to light ... that these detectors really prove to find the targets behind the previous detectors ...

I want to say one thing here .... not everyone needs detectors of the best separation .... ,,, because terrains that still contain enough finds .. and these terrains can be successfully detected for years by an average separating detector .... just change another coil ..

..but let's admit ... and the truth is that on long-term detected terrains ... which have been detected for 20-30 years .... it will be dominated by a really mostly detector with better 2D and 3D separation ... in iron ... .

maybe it's the other 10-25% of the good signals found .. that you missed there so far ... from previous detections ...

.... I recommend to everyone a simple separation test ... walk 10 meters to your colleagues and detect in their footsteps .... there will often show how a detector can separate ...

...the forest road is about 2 meters wide ... ,, so no problem is detection well ... my two colleagues are already in front of me ... so I'm up to 3 in a row ... in detection on this forest road ..IMG_20201227_131842_718 (1).jpg

IMG_20201227_132101_105.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

...Maybe it's the other 10-25% of the good signals found .. that you missed there so far ...

I've been asking myself that question.  What % of targets missed by the Eqx 800 (not missed because of detectorist limitations but detector+coil limitations) justifies spending $1600 for a Deus 2?  10% is definitely at the low end, maybe too low.  20% would, for my $, be worth the investment.

Now, if the Legend at $630 beats the Equinox at the 10% level it's an easier buy decision.

But it's still a decision that depends upon the specific detectorist's skill level, not just the price.  I have little doubt that there are detectorists who could follow my footsteps with the right 20th Century detector+coil and find another 10+%, at least in some (especially trashy) sites I've detected.

• Like 2