Ferro Check, What An Awesome Feature

I would like to say that the ferro check is a great feature on the legend. I have found it to be very accurate in recognizing a nonferrous target mixed in with iron. I’ve been running the legend on a recovery speed of only three and it’s ability to locate good targets mixed in with iron is quite impressive. 

• Like 8

How does it compare to the Fe3o4 meter on the Fisher detectors? My understanding is it's basically the same thing?

Or the Gold probability meter on the Gold Monster is another example, and Nokta duplicated that on their Gold Finder 2000 so I guess they already had the code written to add it to the Legend too.

30 minutes ago, phrunt said:

How does it compare to the Fe3o4 meter on the Fisher detectors? My understanding is it's basically the same thing?

Or the Gold probability meter on the Gold Monster is another example, and Nokta duplicated that on their Gold Finder 2000 so I guess they already had the code written to add it to the Legend too.

I don't have any of the detectors you listed at the moment so I can't say. Also, none of those detectors is using quality SMF technology so I don't know if it would be a fair comparison. I will say that the Legend's abilities to identify ferrous/non-ferrous is far better than any Nokta Makro detector I have ever used (Gold Racer, Racer 2, Kruzer, Multi Kruzer, Gold Kruzer, Anfibio and Simplex) as far as clearly indicating a ferrous, mixed ferrous or non-ferrous signature for coin sized targets that are not at the edge of detection from my experience so far.

All FerroCheck does is give a visual of the ferrous/non-ferrous signal strength and it is really just an adjunct to the outstanding target IDs and tone qualities of the Legend. On a single frequency detector with single VCO audio, and no target IDs like the ones you listed, (Gold Bug Pro in all metal) I would depend on those detector's iron probability visuals much more as a tool for identifying targets than I probably should......

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, phrunt said:

it reminds me a lot of the gold chance meter on the GM 1000 the downside of the ferro check on the Legend is it is only good to around 5 inches max more closer to 4.5 inches and that is if you are not on highly mineralized ground which seems to affect its depth, I will say it has served me well once I learn to use it and finally remember it is there

(you would think since I have a GM 1000 it would come naturally but it did not) the times I do look at it when I get over a target it has been very accurate, in recognizing ferrous and non ferrous targets, even when it shows a couple of bars on the ferrous side it seems to be ferrous bottle caps

I am another legend user that does not understand the negative comments, I look at the ferro check as another tool to use in identification as to what a target is under your coil 

• Like 4

Thanks, I've noticed a fair bit of negativity towards it from owners of the Legend, but that's likely them not understanding it's limitations, after using detectors like the Gold Bug Pro / T2 and Gold Monster that have something similar you get a bit of an understanding of the limitations involved with that sort of thing and it just becomes another tool in the toolbox to aid with target identification.

• Like 3

I'm using recovery 3 also. I have 1 test dime that has a couple natural iron beside it and recovery 3 is working great and was as low as I could go on it. I'll test out in heavy iron.

I keep forgetting to look at the Ferrous/Non-Ferrous meters. I'll make it point to look at it tomorrow.

• Like 5

i will put it this way I am liking the Legend so much that I purchased a second one, so I can mount the six inch coil on one and the 11 inch coil on the other, that way when I do get to go out I will just be able to grab which ever legend I want and not have to mess with changing coils, which that is coming next month my short walks that my wife and I have been taking has started to pay off and I am finally able to go for more then an hour with out feeling like I am going to pass out from lack of oxygen

my wife and I are going to be moving into a town in Arizona that has had a lot of mining at one time going on, and the house we will be moving into is rite across the street from a park that from my understanding has been in existence since the mid 1800s, also from what I was told no one has ever been in it with a metal detector, which I actually find hard to believe but it is what I was told by the original owner of the house, we are also preparing our side x side for some excursions or rather I am preparing our side x side LOL  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

At least four of these bullets would only hit good in one spot as I circled the target but in that spot the ferro check said non ferrous. I went to an old church that I’ve dug a lot of deeper targets. I didn’t get any deeper targets but did dig two wheats that were the same way as the bullets and they were both over five inches.  There are tells when digging a target like that. Watch for the wrap around numbers and the sound when you’ve  found a target like that. Both will alert you that it’s not good. There’s a difference trying to make a two way only target out to be good and actually getting the right sounds and numbers for it to say dig me. The Legend does very well at giving you the information to make that decision. With some trial and error(a lot of holes) you’ll see and hear what I’m referring to. 

E0080EBF-1159-44B1-9061-072FAF8DF844.jpeg

• Like 8

I made it a point to pay attention to the ferro-check today. I went to what is probably my most difficult permission. This location has had human activity (not counting natives) dating back to the late 1600's. Over time there has been a glass house (glass slag all over the property), a blacksmith, a slaughterhouse, a timber mill, a feed mill, a junk yard, and a mechanic shop (he worked on boats and vehicles). The current owner (a friend) grew up on the property - his father had the mechanic shop and what was essentially a junk yard (scrap metal, vehicles, engines, etc..). That's the history that I am aware of.

The soil is fairly mild (2-3 bars on the Deus mineral meter) but so chock full of bits and pieces of various metals that I don't bother trying to ground balance. The metal pieces run the gamut - square nails, iron bits, brass, copper, tin, aluminum, etc.. There is so much trash in the ground that I don't believe I've ever dug a target that didn't have some sort of metal trash in the hole.

The area that I hunted today (maybe 15 X 30 feet) must have been a burn pile, or perhaps a building had burned down at some point in the past. Around 6 inches (give/take) down it is clear that everything was burned, and in sections there is a lot of what looks like lump charcoal (forget what it ID's at, but it gives a nice mid tone) 4+ inches below the surface. There is a heavy layer of fist-sized and smaller rocks ranging from 4-6 inches below the surface over most of that small area.

I never try for depth on this permission, because all the metal trash makes depth an impossible thing. 

I dug every target that gave a good tone (even 1-way)(provided the target isn't large) as I always do at this location. But this time I paid attention to the ferro-check. I never had a signal that didn't show at least 1 bar in the ferro-check meter, but that's because there was some sort of [ferrous] metal trash in with the "good" targets. I say "good" because a number of those "good" targets were brass, copper, or aluminum. I did dig some targets that the ferro-check filled halfway or better - all were ferrous junk. They were, at best, very iffy tones to begin with.

From what I saw today, the ferro-check is a pretty effective tool down to a depth of 5 inches or so. I didn't dig anything deeper so I can't really say just how deep the ferro-check can be effective.

I continue to be impressed with the capabilities of the Legend. In spite of the claims made by some, it does very well in trashy sites.

So why do I bother with a location that has that kind of metal trash?

There's silver in there. 

Today's take, after about 3 hours of hunting, was 3 Wheats, 2 copper memorials, and a Merc. I also dug a small compact that dates from 1920 - 1925. The brass and copper items were donated to a friend who saves that stuff for recycling at the local scrapyard.

• Like 8