Make Gpx 6000 Headphones Quieter In Wind?

jasong

Anyone figured out a good way to make the headphones more insulated to wind noises?

I just used them for the first time (I've been toughing it out with the speaker until now, I hate headphones), winds 30-40mph, and it almost wasn't much better than just using the speaker, I could still barely hear the detector through the headphones. It's like they need some earmuffs to go over them to dampen the wind or something.

Yea, it's tuff going in the wind. Sometimes you have to do the best you can. The only way, with headphones, is to keep the wind to your back which includes walking backward to detect for piece then forward again! Weird but the only way you can hear at all sometimes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jasong said:

Anyone figured out a good way to make the headphones more insulated to wind noises?

I just used them for the first time (I've been toughing it out with the speaker until now, I hate headphones), winds 30-40mph, and it almost wasn't much better than just using the speaker, I could still barely hear the detector through the headphones. It's like they need some earmuffs to go over them to dampen the wind or something.

I’ve thought about finding and attaching the same material they use on microphones for outdoor filming as being an possible option to soften up the wind noise as it passes all those square edges. 

JP

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They sound really hollow inside, so I was almost considering drilling a hole in plastic and injecting some spray foam inside. But it seems like the wind noise is getting through the foam cushioning too which I can't do much about, so I didn't want to potentially destroy a set of headphones for no improvement.

I spaced out on all the earlier headphone discussion since I didn't plan on using them. Am I able to basically get any set of AptX headphones to work on the 6000 if I wanted to get some better ones?

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Make Gpx 6000 Headphones Quieter In Wind?

I will wear a hoodie and pull the hood over the headphones. There's also lightweight hooded t-shirts you can buy for warmer weather.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, abenson said:

I will wear a hoodie and pull the hood over the headphones. There's also lightweight hooded t-shirts you can buy for warmer weather.

that's quite a good idea and brings to mind the windproof ear flap hats you can buy, there are many types of them, probably not too good for a hot climate though.

https://www.amazon.com/Connectyle-Fleece-Winter-Windproof-Earflap/dp/B07Y1Q3ZP5

1697166249_windproofearflaphat.jpg.f5fc0b7a8161811e18d3eb439d539e99.jpg

• Like 3

Hmm both good ideas. I actually have a baseball cap style ushanka hat, just tried it when I saw this, an it won't really fit over the headphones, but that one you linked looks like it would.

A hoodie definitely would work, I'll try that next time. It's pretty dang cold out with the wind right now so not a problem until July or so.

• Like 1

I use the Avantree Torus NB05 wearable speaker phones that go around your neck. I wear a windproof sweatshirt that has a hood and pull the hood up and tie it. If the wind is really bad i pull out the ear buds and put them in my ears and put the hood up also and have no problem hearing the quietest signal.

It is my understanding that APTX still has noticeable latency and you want to get APTX LL.  I got burned on this once following a referral on one of the forums.

you could try earbuds instead of phones. There is one that uses earplugs and inserts the speaker element within it.  Have to watch out for earbuds with noisy cables. Noise either due to the dialectic nature of the plastic used or just that noise is conducted well with them.  I’d go with a wireless setup using a transmitter from Amazon and earbuds that for sure are Aptx II.  Have this on my GP Extreme and a CTX3030.

11 minutes ago, bklein said:

It is my understanding that APTX still has noticeable latency and you want to get APTX LL.  I got burned on this once following a referral on one of the forums.

Are the stock headphones APTX LL or just APTX? Because I can notice a definite delay with the stock headphones.