Make Gpx 6000 Headphones Quieter In Wind?

jasong

I high wind, the other option is to go back to camp and have a few beers and look forward to tomorrow. 

• Like 2

I decided to take a closer look at the headphones to see if I could find some way to improve them simply. Maybe dip the shells in rubber tool dip to cut down on the hollow shell sound.

Then I noticed there are 6 holes drilled into the top of one of the shells, but not the other. Why? This is a small part of the issue letting sound in from the outside, they must serve some kind of purpose. Anyone know what these are, why they are only on one shell, and if they can be covered up?

The side with the battery perhaps? Air flow to cool it while charging.

• Like 1

I find APTX LL Auto Noise Cancelling (ANC) do a good job of knocking down wind and surf noise on the beach.  Here are some options:

I use these APTX LL noise cencelling headpones and they are excellent under windy conditions due to their switchable Automatic Noise Cancelling (ANC) and have great audio fidelity and tonal range.  A little pricey but you get what you pay for.

Avantree Aria Me Personalized Audio Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones with Charging Stand & Microphone, aptX HD & Low Latency, Enhanced Volume Clear Voice Wireless Headset for Music, Call, Seniors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083FTNG3Z/

Great budget ANC APTX LL headset with not quite as effective ANC as the Avantree with decent audio

FALWEDI Active Noise Cancelling Headphones Apt-X CVC8.0 48H Music Playtime Wireless Bluetooth Headphones with Microphone Type-c Fast Charging Deep Bass Over Ear Headset for Travel/Work, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085DKHY5K/

Middle of the Road APTX LL ANC Phones, priced accordingly:

Paww WaveSound 3 Bluetooth 5.0 Headphones – Active Noise Cancelling Headphones / 16-Hour Battery Life with Precision-Engineered Sound/Foldable Travel Headphones & Over-Ear Headphones (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IEHIMLY/

• Like 3

Oddly, the holes are on the side with apparantly no electronics in them, guess there must be something in that side though. Who knows. 

I know there are a wide range of 3rd party headphones available. It's a philosophical thing for me though. The 6000 is the first real modern prospecting detector designed to not be used with headphones or any other extraneous gear. Being required to use headphones on such a machine alone is frustrating. Needing to buy a 2nd set of headphones for a $6000 detector designed specifically to not require headphone usage, just to be able to use it in fairly normal conditions in some parts of this country, is illogical to me.

I know many people here are headphone users anyways, so it's not much of a deal. But I'm chosing to hold Minelab to task on this one because it's important to me, and I want them to do better in the future here, not go the opposite direction if no one cares.

• Like 1

You have a picture of your head phones, the cup design is a major factor. I hunt in the water with winds of 30mph, and I have gel pads to help with the wind noise. I've tried to use the fur on the ear cups,...kind a helped, used hoodie, little better. But the best is a low profile ear cups and gel pads, than work in the direction that the wind is blocked on one side. You turn a certain way you can get away with this, wrong direction you can't hear nothing. At the ocean there is the pounding surf, nothing can help that... 

I am a true believer in headphones, I'm not sure how the 6000 works but for me it's a matter of hearing the faintest of targets in All metal, as a water hunter, blocking the ambient noise is one of the most important things. 

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/headsetx_ear.html

13-09301f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, I didn't know you could buy gel pads. The foam definitely lets a ton of noise in. I'll have to measure them and see if there are a set of gel seals that fit tomorrow, I took them to my shop a few hours ago to spray one of the cups with a few coats of Plastidip in hopes to knock some of the noise down.

I was gonna recommend those $29 Falwedi headphones, they are APTX-LL, and have active noise cancelling. They may not be in your neck of the woods though. They're loud as hell as a bonus, and the battery lasts 40 hours.

I realize a $6000 detector deserves pricey accessories, but sometimes the solution can be cheap. 

• Like 1

6000 ear pads have holes - this allows them to breath - but yes bad in wind. First thing I did to mine was replace the ear pads. I have plenty to choose from here due to building/selling several different headphones over the years. The Gel Pads that are supplied with the SteelPhase headphones fit the 6000 headphones nicely. They are bit tight when trying to put them on the plastic plate, but with a bit of love they get on there and are a nice snug fit. They don't transform the headphones to be amazing in wind, but there is definite improvement. 

Personally I use the SteelPhase headphones or my old Recon's when it's windy, and my Minelab wireless ones are reserved for when working really scrubby terrain - which can only be worked on calm days, otherwise the noise from tree rustling is unbearable. So, I just use your traditional leatherette style ear pads, minus the micro holes. 

image.jpeg.28c45cb0f92366042cfe35ea2c940678.jpeg These are also an option for the SteelPhase headphones, which I recommend to people in humid climates, as they breath a little better. I sell these as an accessory here. 

• Like 2