Make Gpx 6000 Headphones Quieter In Wind?

jasong

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

The problem with this and the hoodie option is the heat. When you live in warmer climates (AZ, NV, CA) this will not work most of the times.

GC

Those are designed for desert use and is why I posted them, sure they're going to add a little warmth but not nearly as hot as wearing nothing in the desert sun.

• Like 1

Has any detector manufacturer experimented with tactile feedback in the handle in the other detecting realms like coins, relics, underwater, etc? Sort of like pinpointers have a vibrate mode. Except, going further and making the vibrations scale continuously with signal strength just like the audio does so you can sense variations in the signal and not just an "on/off"?

I'm curious if it'd be accurate enough compared to our sense of hearing. Maybe not...

But a major strength of the 6000 is simplicity - no extraneous parts and pieces required. I really don't even like having to take these headphones with me and keep track, let alone stuff on top of them. Plus the audio delay in them bothers me more than it probably should. Taking more stuff to deal with the headphones is not appealing to me personally, that's just me though, I'm an oddball. But these are all great ideas that sound like they will help deal with the wind.

My Aventree Torus neck band are on their second season, no troubles with wind or anything else, have earbuds built in that I havent used, have found the speakers are ample use with a light cap that has sun protection all-round even over the "muzzle" which acts also to keep a light drizzle off the "sound band" which isn`t waterproof, for me a simple easy no drama solution for those of us like either speakers or earbuds. USB rechargeable lithium, charge each night for full following day detecting. KISS

• Like 3

Gold Catcher, there must be a fault with your Bose ear buds as mine have no touch sensitivity at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got AU's link has sone interesting options that have foam dimilar to mic windscreens ,possible DIY basis.

Promised links for the DIY external noise damping earbuds.

a simple one and another for you mad scientists.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Promised links for the DIY external noise damping earbuds.

I think this is the product in the first video -- Amazon link.

I see why you like this guy.  He puts his Exacto knife in his mouth, like a pirate!

Note: some reviews say they aren't soundproof (obviously not quantified...).  Popeye (or anyone), have you tried these and how well do they block extraneous noise?

• Haha 2

Arrrrrrrrr  !😉 He did impress me with that move I admit.  Until I realized he probably didn't really do it for 10 minutes. (Woulda drooled all over everything with that blade handle hanging out of his mouth !) Further qualifying him as a pirate ...skuh kuh kuh kuh

Anyway.

Just the first in the search results that showed the basic procedure using off the shelf parts .  It is a doable home DIY project for most. Not the quality of the pro stuff but if you use a set of buds that sound good to you , the result should be quite acceptable. 

In ear monitors made a huge difference by cleaning up audio quality on a live stage.

Hopefully they improve the signal to outside noise ratio on the detection trail too. Just watch out for that rogue wave ! Yo ho !

OH , have I done this ? 

Haven't made the DIY ones , but have wanted to try it since I saw one of the videos.

Typical earplugs are 25-30dB though , I'd imagine custom molded ear plugs would dampen outside sound more due to a better fit . Maybe 40dB ??.       More material on the outer part would probably increase the dampening effect too .

You would hear if someone was talking to you at a normal level but probably have trouble understanding them.  My pro in ear monitors are hard so may actually seal less  ? IDK. 

I'll dig them out and try 'em at the beach , one of the channels is down due to a snagged cord but with sound in just one side it should give me a real world idea of how it works.(Need a new cord , those things are a pain to repair with those tiny wires and tiny proprietary connectors ). Pretty sure they are in my guitar case...haven't played it in a while .......🙄

6 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Typical earplugs are 25-30dB though , I'd imagine custom molded ear plugs would dampen outside sound more due to a better fit . Maybe 40dB ??

Looking at some (more than one brand) on Amazon, I noticed low 30 dB's (31-34?).  That was for pure soundproofing plug applications, e.g. for use on a gun range.  For this application the leakage through the electronics+housing likely would deteriorate that level.

They're so inexpensive I may try them with my Bose Soundsport wired set.  (Unfortunately those are no longer made, AFAIK, but fortunately for me Steve H. tipped us off here that this was going to happen and I bought a second pair, still MIB.) 

The custom formed mount has got to help some with blocking ambient noise, but I doubt they'll work all that great in the 40+ mph sustained winds you can get out West.

• Like 1

Yeah , I thought about sound getting in through the bud housing.It's why I added to use more material on the outside. (The original vid I saw ~ a year ago ? the foam putty mix completely covered the earbuds . )   

40kt  winds ??  plus crashing surf . I bet the wind gusts would play drums on the backside of any earplugs ! .... It would still make a big difference but IDK if enough for a faint nudge of a threshold tone to be heard ? Depends on how loud you can crank the earbuds I guess .( Limited by how much you want to trash your ears.)  Adding shooter's muffs could be another idea separately or together (didn't  that get mentioned here?).

The Radians linked are what I've seen . Cheap enough to try out. even with the +50% shipping!  This is something that could have saved a tour out where floor wedges were the only option for a sudden breakdown so I thought it would be good road repair kit stock to have .

I can't do testing right now , I'm in the middle of a restoration of this camper while living in it so space doesn't exist but there will be a tron bench no doubt !  The ear molds are  ON my mad scientist tron experiment bucket list !