6.4khz No Foils Setting

I have been testing the salt balance and KHZ on a small gold 14 k ring and a merc dime and a regular white gold ring and some tabs and various foils , and today i took the Tarsacci out to a high school base ball diamond , loaded with foils  most of the coins i found had long been in the ground, and i even found a 7" deep 1944 wheat cent , I managed to dig one foil seen in picture, it was 1" deep , but the thing i like about the Tarsacci is  it sees thru the foils and hits coins below the foils that you can not hear , yes silent on the foil in the surface and hitting a coin below it . I can not do that with my ORX .If i get a foil signal of 34 and a coin in 2" under it it still comes in at 32 or is masked , i would have to dig the foil  but with the Tarsacci the foils are gone and its just seeing thru them and hitting the coins  my settings 3 gain and 0 threshold , 44 salt balance,  black sand on . and i even cranked it up to 5 gain, and still no digging foils , at 6 gain you may have to introduce a -1 threshold to knock out the foils  but its hitting deep on high conductors and 6" to 9" on rings

20220423_180857.jpg

20220423_180831 (2).jpg

• Like 3

Excellent results by using the MDT's adjustments & unique capabilities.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kaolin washer said:

but the thing i like about the Tarsacci is  it sees thru the foils

You have it exactly. Your video showing your thought process is an excellent demonstration. Unmasking in action.

It is my belief that it works this way with small iron as well by using the black sand setting and sometimes the creative use of ground balance as well. Combining the ability to see through foil and small iron takes some of the work out of hunting gold in modern trash and makes for a much more pleasant detecting experience.

It seems also to be helpful to use the lower frequencies. Here you demonstrate with 6.4 kHz, I like 9 kHz most of the time. For depth and especially for coins at depth, 6.4 kHz is thought to be superior, but I do not hunt deep and 9 kHz feels better to me.

Digging everything is no longer on the program for this old geezer.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kaolin washer said:

nothing wrong with 9khz it gives a bit more depth to the gold targets,  still ignores the foils very well

Exactly. The reason I use lower frequency is the same as the reason it will go deeper. Less of the signal is taken up by the ground and small junk like foil. Frequency is one of the settings to use in aid of “seeing through” what you do not want to see. For how I hunt, max depth is not the parameter I want to maximize, the desired effect is unmasking ability.

I use 9 kHz because it feels smoother to me than 6.4 kHz and 12-18 kHz are a bit too sensitive to small foil and rusty Bobby pins. The detector still holds on to remarkable sensitivity to quite small bits of gold even as it sees through the foil that plagues the gold hunter on land.

Tarsacci is very good at handling junk if you play with the settings to make the best of where you are hunting. A wonderful unmasker for the land hunter. Places that get a lot of traffic have recent drops to be had, but they also accumulate a lot of trash. If you cannot separate at least some of it out, all you do is dig because the percentage of gold to junk on land is pretty low.

My whole reason for getting the Tarsacci was to handle bad ground and challenging sites. It does that and more. I still dig some trash, but a lot less than most. Of course I lose some things with the level of settings and rejection I use, especially since I do not hunt (or dig) deep, but I enjoy the time more.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 7:08 PM, Kaolin washer said:

Geez i was working with 9khz and it is as you say , less responsive to foils and still good on gold and coins I think i settled on using 36-37 salt setting

More than just foil. Dave H is where I got the idea of seeing through iron.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2022 at 7:08 PM, Kaolin washer said:

Geez i was working with 9khz and it is as you say , less responsive to foils and still good on gold and coins I think i settled on using 36-37 salt setting

Kaolin,

Now with some time spent experimenting in the field with the frequencies, 6.4kHz seems superior at unmasking coins. I am finding clad that has clearly been in the ground a while, even at sites that get hunted a lot. 

I had previously preferred 9kHz in junky ground and 18kHz in clean ground, but am doing better with 6.4kHz in challenging ground.

Keep up your good work.

Geezer 

• Like 3