Mxt Problem... Maybe?

Ok guys, I would like to pick your brains on this. I just got back from running my mxt all pro out in a few parks. While I was digging a target, I ran my coil over it and it seemed to have disappeared. But my garrett pinpointer said it was still there. I thought this was odd so I ran the coil over my shovel and got nothing. I sat there a moment and decided to shut it down and restart it, and I was back in business. A few minutes later the threshold got really quiet, and it did the same thing when passed my shovel over it again. So, again I shut it down, restarted it, and it seemed to work fine. This happened a few times. 

So, after this happened for a bit, I started to think that that batteries might be going south since they were the ones that came with it, and I had been running it a lot since I got it just over a week ago. I jumped in the truck and ran up to the store and got some fresh batteries and something to eat and headed to another park. After a bit it happened again. I noticed that when I got around some playground equipment it wasn't sounding off with the normal interference that I usually get from it. So,I put the coil right on a part of the playground equipment and nothing. So I restared it again and got the response from the machine that I would expect. 

I replaced the batteries, checked the coil connection to the box, and had been running with the ground switch in the lock position. If it helps I had the gain set around 4 to 5, the discrimination set at about 3, and had be bouncing between the different  modes (c&j, relic, and prospecting). I figured I would get some opinions before I contacted Whites to rule out any user error on my part.

Have you got another coil to pop on and try apart from the stock all pro coil Eklawok?

It's not user error unless you're dropping it into prospecting mode and the SAT speed is too low causing faint threshold response depending on threshold level.

No, not as of yet.

Yeah when it gets close to something large it will overload then go back to normal. But when it was doing whatever it was doing, nothing. Just a calm, smooth threshold with nothing but vdi on the screen. Shut it down, fire it back up, and off and running as normal. What ever it is, it's intermittent. Thats why i first thought of dying batteries or a loose connection from the coil.

Sorry to crash this, but I have a mxt aswell and it has its own issue of misidentifying a threepence as a peice of foil in an air test. It use to id it as a coin at 70+, now it thinks it foil +4

cheers eve

Yeah, I don't seem to have that problem. In fact quite to the contrary.  If mine says its foil, its foil. If it says thats its iron, its iron. Kinda taking a bit to get used to. My last detector wasn't quite so accurate on the id end of things. But take that with a grain of salt too. It picked up a vial of gold that i have as zinc and as nickle. It got better at calling it a nickle when I fished out the one larger nugget that i have. But this is more on the lines that it won't pick up anything until I restart the machine. And it give little to no warning that it isn't picking anything up. I am hoping for a simple solution to this intermittent problem, and hoping that it is user error. In any case, I head back to the north slope for work tomorrow and will have two weeks to figure out what to do. Wish I could take it with me to work, but not much searching to be done there.

Have you got another coil to try, but I am thinking the problem is a bit deeper than that, I don't like the fact that when it resets that it does not respond straight away, I checked mine and it should just overload and get on with the job, you need to try another coil and the phone Whites if another coil does not help,

John

Well, most likely an email to whites is in order. And when I get back home from work I'll see if i can't get it to do it again. I'll also see about aquiring another coil since i am wanting to get the 4x6 coil anyways. My local shop has one hanging on the wall.

-Tom

4 minutes ago, Eklawok said:

Well, most likely an email to whites is in order. And when I get back home from work I'll see if i can't get it to do it again. I'll also see about aquiring another coil since i am wanting to get the 4x6 coil anyways. My local shop has one hanging on the wall.

-Tom

Well it might be worth your while to send Tom a PM here on the forum seeing as he is a member here and has wisdom Ta Boot.

John