Simplex And The Lawn That Keeps Giving

That is an awesome relic. It's civil war era:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_New_York_Mounted_Rifles_Regiment

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Great items that you found and I am sure that your happy with them.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 2

Fantastic find!   The condition is museum quality.  I doubt there are many of those still in existence.  Well presented next to the Merc; appears to be silver alloy, sterling?  (I'm not familiar with the Simplex dTID scale.  Is 57 out of a max 60?)  What does the backside look like?

I wish I had a yard like yours.  Mine's so new it only produces Stinkin' Zincolns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Fantastic find!   The condition is museum quality.  I doubt there are many of those still in existence.  Well presented next to the Merc; appears to be silver alloy, sterling?  (I'm not familiar with the Simplex dTID scale.  Is 57 out of a max 60?)  What does the backside look like?

I wish I had a yard like yours.  Mine's so new it only produces Stinkin' Zincolns.

It does seem rare and fairly valuable. It’s occasional finds like this that make it all worth it. It’s odd to find so many military relics from so many different periods on the same lot, but this is the most exciting yet. The Simplex TID goes to 99. I’m not sure yet what the alloy is. The back is missing it’s pin, which sucks, but I marked the spot I pulled it from so I can go back over it. It would be nice to find that too. 

• Like 4

Here’s a few more notable finds from the same lot. 28B7FCAB-2DCD-4D0D-B6A0-DFA687706F5D.thumb.jpeg.a701f1059f47dcacf5baa5a9b68842d9.jpeg1A8ED234-85D0-4E1C-9682-14A267E54396.thumb.jpeg.25be0ec3458f7141de6ec35de7ba35b8.jpeg

• Like 7

On 4/24/2022 at 5:07 PM, ☠ Cipher said:

I have a pretty sizable lawn to detect on, on slow days. It sits right on top of what was the Upper Fort during the revolutionary war.  I’ve pretty much cherry picked all the high tones out of this lawn, so I’m now at mid tones. I got one today at a TID of 57, and singing. At 8” I found this little badge with my Simplex D426C4EB-24DB-43BD-8B17-961F6A088571.thumb.jpeg.2b243780ed58939da6057b462312d997.jpeg

Im not entirely sure what it is, but this lawn is good for producing military relics, like a WW1 military dog tag, WW2 Airmen visor pin and numerous musket balls. 

Here's a list of the name Tooley who served in the CW from New York, the first name is Ashael J. Tooley and very well could be the presenter shown on the shield, notice he also was in the 2nd Regiment of Mounted Rifles.

There's no listing of a E. D. Tooley, maybe he was the brother of Ashael,  I found another link that says that Ashael was wounded at some point and served approximately 6 months after enlisting and died of his wounds, maybe he made and sent/gave the shield to E. D. sometime during that 6 months or lost it before he could present it.

"TOOLEY , ASHAEL J. — Age, 18 years. Enlisted, December 31, 1863, at Amherst; mustered in as private, Co. H , December 31, 1863, to serve three years; wounded, date not stated; died of such wounds, June 30,1864, at Washington, D. C,; veteran."

Link of him being wounded.

http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/rosters/cavalry/2ndMtdRiflesCW_Roster.pdf

The other 3 Tooleys listed as being in the 2nd Regiment of Mounted Rifles could most likely be related, IMHO

https://iarchives.nysed.gov/xtf/view?docId=ead/names/13775indexT.xml;query=tooley;hit.rank=2

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1