Simon Scores A Deep Colour

Love it a some NZ color, crikey you`ve got a FNQer saying color now, we`re being infiltrated by those south of the border sayings now...............

• Haha 1

Very nice hunting and your skills are getting better I believe.

I wish you better luck on your next outing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, a lot of shotgun pellets, I have hit a lot but not that many in one detector session. Nice little gold, hope to get out and get some of my own soon. Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MSC said:

Wow, a lot of shotgun pellets, I have hit a lot but not that many in one detector session. Nice little gold, hope to get out and get some of my own soon. Thanks for posting. 

These are just the pellets that had me fooled that I dug up out of the ground, I rejected probably 50 to 100 more that were near the surface by scraping the top layers off the soil, if the target moves I walk away.  I will miss the occasional tiny piece of gold doing this but if I were to recover every pellet my gold tally would drop significantly as I'd be wasting so much time recovering surface pellets.  My rule is if it's in the looser top soil with no gravels showing it's very unlikely to be gold, it's when I start to see gravel in my dig the heart rate speeds up 🙂

• Like 5

Here was JW's nuggets from our mission with his GPX 6000.

62860642_jwsnuggets8.thumb.jpg.48257f549ebb57b32df40f1293fad057.jpg

We didn't test his smallest nuggets on my GPZ this time as he detected a fair distance from me, I've good confidence in the sensitivity of my 8" coil to do a pretty good job on the small stuff though so I'd not be at all surprised if it was competitive on his smallest nugget.

With any luck we might be going back this weekend to give it another go.

• Like 5

I don't know what kind of shotgun shells are available where you are. But many years ago, here in the US, lead shotgun pellets were banned and we had to only use steel pellets. Then of course, you could no longer buy new shells with lead pellets. This was all done to to protect wildfowl from ingesting them and die of lead poisoning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I don't know what kind of shotgun shells are available where you are. But many years ago, here in the US, lead shotgun pellets were banned and we had to only use steel pellets. Then of course, you could no longer buy new shells with lead pellets. This was all done to to protect wildfowl from ingesting them and die of lead poisoning.

Thanks, out of interest I looked up the rules here and the ban of lead has only just happened here 😞

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The planned phase-out of lead shot for waterfowl hunting is now complete. 

Since 2004, most hunters who use 10 or 12 gauge shotguns have been required to use non-toxic shot when hunting waterfowl within 200 metres of water.

2021 saw a complete ban on the use of lead shot for all but 410 gauge, 

This ban will be strictly enforced on public, private, DOC and Fish & Game land for and all hunters other than those using 410 gauge. You must use non-toxic shot, nothing else. 

The 410 exemption has been given because these shotguns are sometimes used by beginner hunters, and non-toxic shot loads are not currently available for them.

The phase-out of lead shot follows research that shows that waterfowl get poisoned when they pick up fired lead shot and eat it as a grit substitute to help them digest their food. New Zealand research showed the problem was the same here as in overseas countries.

Non-toxic shot does not contain lead and the most commonly available type uses steel pellets. Steel shot is already widely used in New Zealand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1