Recovery Speed, Recovery Delay, And Reactivity

What we are discussing is usually called "Recovery Speed" by most manufacturers. From the White's XLT User Manual:

"Recovery Speed - Speeds target responses, so several targets that are close together can each respond.

When a metal is detected, it takes a fraction of a second for the detector to process the signal before it can respond to another metal target nearby. The time it takes to process the first metal target signal so that the second metal target signal can respond is called RECOVERY SPEED.

There are advantages and disadvantages to fast (high numbers) and slow (low numbers) RECOVERY SPEEDS. Faster RECOVERY SPEEDs work well in high trash areas. However, they will have some difficulties with very deep targets as well as double responses on shallow targets. Slower RECOVERY SPEEDs do not work very well in high trash areas. However, they will have better responses on very deep targets. Slower speeds also have more definitive discrimination sounds. A custom setting needs to be found that suits the preferences of the individual and the conditions in the area. As a general rule, the closer together the metal targets are in an area, the faster the recovery speed should be. The more spacing between targets, the slower the speed should be. Don't use the fast speed if you don't need to.

In very trashy areas it is recommended to switch to a loop smaller in size than the standard 9.5 inch black loop. Smaller loops offer better separation between targets. However, larger loops detect deeper and cover more area with each pass. RECOVERY SPEED combined with a smaller loop can be used to search severely trashy areas."

Just to confuse people White's decided to call it "Recovery Delay" on the V3i. A low recovery delay equates to a fast recovery speed.

From the White's V3i User Manual:

"Recovery Delay - 1 – 200 200 = slowest. Additional and separate (beyond filtration) selection for the signal response time. Short response time benefits performance in high trash by providing better target separation. A longer response time allows a larger window to detect deeper targets. Ideal Recovery Delay is dependent on Ground Filter selection, ground mineralization, trash density, and your average sweep speed (how quickly you move the search coil)."

It would seem detector manufacturers abhor standard terminology, even the same manufacturer! XP has decided to call Recovery Speed by an even newer term - Reactivity. From the Deus User Manual:

xp-deus-reactivity-example.jpgxp-deus-v4-reactivity-chart.jpg

• Like 7

I guess this is why I like the machine I use because when changing to a larger coil and having to work slower adds depth and having the Delay/Recovery preset at the right speed in the first place, the beauty of the XP and V3i is you can pick the optimal setting for the task in hand, I have avoided the V3i because I want to detect not program but seeing the terminology change again was all I needed to drive me away and I don't want to give up that hot prospecting mode and lightning Tracking speed. It was a milestone back then and it is still the benchmark now.

I would have been happy if Whites had just stuffed the MXT in to the MXS housing, It would be interesting to see/compare the first version of the MXS and this newer update and if there was one in between just to see which version would be the most flexible, It would be good if Whites Techs could look in to that, we know that the slower version does not make use of it's full potential  and the update hopefully will be a rocket ship and with a bit of luck the recovery speed will match the mode you are using,  

• Like 2

Which is why I prefer a DD coil on a VLF in trashy areas - better target separation, and so you can differentiate good targets from bad more easily. The DD also gives better resistance to mineralized ground that is common here in the Reno area.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2016 at 11:30 AM, Reno Chris said:

Which is why I prefer a DD coil on a VLF in trashy areas - better target separation, and so you can differentiate good targets from bad more easily. The DD also gives better resistance to mineralized ground that is common here in the Reno area.

Hi Chris

I agree with you on the DD coils on machines running in the 14-19Khz range.  On the lower freq "coin detectors" a small concentric is the best choice for unmasking in iron and even the nasty rotting tin.  A perfect example I can give is the Minelab Advantage vs the Fisher made ID Edge.  While the DD only ML will go deeper at times coil size for coil size, when it came to picking out deeper targets in badly contaminated sites the concentric coil equipped Edge outperformed it by a huge margin.  For bad ground, detectors such as ML X-terra and Tek Omega operating in the 7-8 Khz range give you the choice of using both type coils.

Tom

• Like 1

The Minelab Stirling coil was a concentric. Rare as hens teeth these days, but they should work on a Musketeer Advantage

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PhaseTech said:

The Minelab Stirling coil was a concentric. Rare as hens teeth these days, but they should work on a Musketeer Advantage

I had so much fun with the Advantage That's one machine that I really miss, it was a fantastic machine But I have always wanted a Relic Hawk I had the chance to buy one and it slipped my mind and I missed out,

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I have discovered both by reading and talking to folks,,these different terms like reactivity and silencer settings Xp uses--- makes the detector for some seem very complicated.

And some even steer clear of purchasing for this.

On 05/04/2016 at 0:21 AM, auminesweeper said:

I had so much fun with the Advantage That's one machine that I really miss, it was a fantastic machine But I have always wanted a Relic Hawk I had the chance to buy one and it slipped my mind and I missed out,

Hey John, did you ever get a Minelab Relic Hawk and run it through it's paces?