Success Breeds Success

I agree, had you spent the time digging it all you'd get less gold as you'd spend most of your time recovering junk, some areas are just more suited to a detector with discrimination.

Nice looking nuggets.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Reno Chris said:
This is the gold I dug last time - 5 grams. I'll be returning soon because success breeds more success.

nuggets (1).jpg

Nice little poke you pulled out.

I’ve always said confidence breeds success but I guess success gives you confidence🙄

nicely done and if you ever need help cleaning up the trash give me a holler…😇

Very nice looking gold, what was the smallest piece weighing in at.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2022 at 2:19 PM, Chris Ben said:

Did you dig only the targets on the right? Or some that flashed left and right on the Gold monster?

I dug both types. Targets that flash both ways are the detector telling you "I dont know" - so you must dig them as they are sometimes gold.

• Like 3

Yes, when in an area of heavy trash, I use discrimination. I also make sure I have a small super-magnet on an extendable aluminum wand (light and easy to use that way), saves a ton of time as the small magnet size lets me root around in the dirt in tight spots a magnet on a pick head will not let me get into or down into.

I've spent a lot of time detecting bedrock worked by large equipment where there's so many bits of track and blade I'd go crazy trying to dig every target, so I use discrimination first for obvious signals, then go back and use the magnet on the wand with discrimination on the detector. Then, if time permits, I go low and slow without discrimination as we have a lot of ironstone where I detect and it throws the numbers off on the nuggets.

I also use similar trash-rich-area tactics if I'm in a spot with lots of bits of can and the lead sealings that accompany the old cans from the 1800's. (Have to dig the lead sealings though.)

When working exposed bedrock left by modern-day placer miners, I usually don't have a lot of time as they're right behind me waiting to fill the cut back in, so without the discrimination on my detectors and the wand tactics, I'd never get finished in time without them. 

All the best,

Lanny