GPX 6000 And Audio Boosters - What Is Your View?

Northeast, I’ve never done any comparative testing with the 6000 and the filter, I already had one and after a couple days with it I think target signals were a little tighter. I’d hang the SP01 on my belt and run my ear bud cord (wired Bose sport) inside my shirt and use the 6000’s headphone cord with an adaptor to connect the SP01. The 6000 cord for the headphones is long enough I didn’t have a problem and direct connected signal seemed clean without lag?

When I get a chance I’ll drive a little way out in the desert and test a nugget, I’ve got a long masonry bit I think will work to drill a diagonal hole for some 1/2” pvc deep enough to see a difference. Not promising any great video, but I’ll give it a shot with and without on a couple small nuggets.

I got out of the habit of using it though, couple times I’d accidentally left it on packing and found a dead battery starting my day… no big deal I just didn’t have it. The 6000 is so light and easy I’ve gotten lazy I’ll probably start using it again, my last couple hunts have been fruitless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was stuck waiting for the UPS truck all day so no chance to test the 6000 with the SP01, but I have everything ready for tomorrow and sinking this section of pvc at a 45* will allow me to go as deep as 14” and I have a .3 and 1 gram nugget unless there is some other size you want me to test?

DE14E582-5458-4591-ADFD-DBCB3F9D1A06.thumb.jpeg.8fb89a11799295cd0dd38f4d5d2fd6a4.jpeg

• Like 6

I gave this a try just a little way outside Las Vegas south of the city and the EMI was just about impossible using the speaker I could hear both nuggets the 1g and .3g at the same depth, the SP01 ran a little smoother and edged out the speaker alone by a 1/2” roughly on the .3,. the differences under these conditions were small but noticeable I could still hear both targets knowing that they were there but to me this was inconclusive due to the conditions. I’ll try this again one day next week taking a ride out to the Johnnie district where the results are more meaningful, but I think the SP01 will have an edge.

I did hang the filter off the back of the 6000, it didn’t make any difference on or off so OK, but again just the background EMI would mask any differences.

• Like 3

I did try and take some video the wind was a big problem and I couldn’t really pick up the sound off the ear buds on my phone I’ll order a cheep speaker on Amazon.

• Like 2

I hesitate posting this because sound quality is so poor I only recorded two short clips both with the 1g nugget. The dirt was too loose to allow slipping the tube all the way in this test adjusted for that is around 8” to 9” deep,  I couldn’t pick up the audio from this on my phone even holding the ear buds next to the microphone.

the sp01 is clipped to the back of the 6000 connected with a 3” cable and plugging/unplugging the cable toggled between it being just 6000 on speaker or 6000 with sp01 and ear buds, I have a speaker on order for a better test. The 6000 settings are auto+, normal, full volume, 11”mono. Sp01 settings in this clip mode 1, filter1 volume 50%, mode 2 filter 3 produces the loudest targets response.

6000 on speaker

6000 sp01

• Like 4

12 hours ago, 1515Art said:

I gave this a try just a little way outside Las Vegas

Thanks Art, I appreciate the trouble you have gone to.  That wind was certainly blowing!  

I am thinking I might just bite the bullet and buy a booster and do some testing myself.   They are very sought after for the SDC, 5000 and the GPZ so can always sell it on if it doesn't work out for me. 

I'm surprised more people haven't tried a booster on the GPX6 or are at least willing to comment if they feel there is/isn't a performance difference   🤷‍♂️

Thanks again Art  😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'll do some testing for you Northeast, I'll try it using a Bluetooth aptx LL receiver and also using the Quest Wirefree mate and see how it goes.

JW just bought himself a SP01 yesterday too so it'll be interesting what he thinks of it as he's been a long time B&Z user.

I think it'll give an improvement on the 6000, and it gives volume control too which is handy.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

JW just bought himself a SP01 yesterday

Well then, he found the proverbial ‘rocking horse shit’.   Can’t find one in Aus at the moment.   Nenad is busier than a one-armed grave digger at the moment trying to get some stock out.

Be great to hear your feedback, thanks  😊  

• Haha 1

Yea, he got if for a reasonable price too, it's second hand from a guy that's been trying to sell his GPX 6000 for months. 

I went and had a quick play with the SP01 on the GPX today, It doesn't have the volume level of the SP01 on the GPZ that really pumps out the sound but that could be related to the adapter I used to go from 3.5mm to 6.35mm with the supplied headphone cord from the GPX, I don't know, I know I had a nightmare with low volume levels with the SP01 on the QED, the GPX wasn't that quiet but quieter on the GPX than the GPZ.

While this video is probably pointless I just took it while mucking around comparing the SP01 vs detector speaker for my own interest.

I'm also going to try it by using a Bluetooth receiver as that's the most likely way anyone would use it, not the cable but I've forgotten where I put my receiver, I'll find it tomorrow, I had it with my 5000 or 4500 but it wasn't with either of them.

I found the SP01 helped in a few ways, I was able to have the detector on lowest volume on the detector and with the speakers on my harness the volume was plenty loud enough.  This made the detector feel less ratty and it didn't get the funky EMI problem I get when i run it on speaker.  I switch to speaker for a while and you quickly see the EMI creep in.

I'll bury a couple of targets at the edge of detection and run over them with the SP01 and without for you once I find my bluetooth gadget.

I'll drop a better more informative video here for you soon.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, phrunt said:

This made the detector feel less ratty

Thanks Phrunt.  You mentioned that the SPO1 (or any booster really) won't give a performance improvement but I think that this actually might be it - the ability to keep the detector volume low which will likely help to keep a smoother threshold which should improve faint target detection.  If that, and variable volume, is all that a booster provides then I think it is still worth it.  

I'm probably going to take my time on all of this and leave it until after my W.A. trip.   We will be prospecting so easy on/easy off, portability, minimal stuff to recharge, etc, will be the order of the day.  My Avantree AS70 and Phillips out-of-ear earbuds are doing a good job so far and are light and easy.  

Also thinking that EMI is going to be of little concern out where we are going but who knows  🤷‍♂️

I will also be able to easily afford the boosters and speakers after returning with all those kilos of W.A. gold  😂   ⚒️  :minelab:

Cheers, N.E.   

• Like 1