Discrimination Question

Please forgive such a newbie question, but I've reread the manual a few times and searched other resources, but I can't find an explanation of why you would want to reduce discrimination below zero. I understand the basic function of discrimination, but what would be the practical reason to drop it to -6.4 or any negative number if iron comes in at zero to about 10? Can anyone help me out with this basic concept? What am I missing here? Thanks!

Think about Xp Deus as a detective tool, this detector is not made only to find ferrous and non-ferrous metal  items.

Most imortant thing is, that you can find places of human habitation with negative discrimination.

That's let you hear ground, bricks and ceramic (pottery).

Fully opened (no disc) Deus with fulltones is a powerfull tool also for recognizing many types of iron.

Ancient iron with low and high amount of carbon sounds different to modern, present iron.

That's how we doing treasures hunting in Europe.

Be like Shelock Holmes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Full tones has it's own iron tone built in. You can literally hear ferrous and nonferrous at the same time with no discrimination that would cause you to miss some comingled targets. You have to adjust your tone breaks so  -6.4 and up to where you want iron tone to stop (probably 10), have a low iron tone. Look up Gary Blackwell's Sonar program. It is the same concept. This is one of the key features that make the Deus platform the best in iron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't have a complete Deus 2 yet, just the WS6 and my Mi-6 (anyone who wants to loan or sell their 9" coil...I am all ears) so take the following with a big grain of whatever since I have only experienced this with Deus 1 both before and after the software update that added the sub zero range and on the ORX.

In mineralized ground, some metal targets due to conductivity and depth....small bits of rusted mid 1800s to early 1900s "tin" alloy targets are a good example.....will have target IDs below zero. They can mask (unknown to the detector operator) other adjacent targets. So can naturally forming iron minerals like hematite and magnetite when big enough, which also may give no target ID but can be clearly heard if the sub-zero range is accepted........

Like I said, disregard this drivel if it no longer applies to Deus 2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Please forgive such a newbie question, but I've reread the manual a few times and searched other resources, but I can't find an explanation of why you would want to reduce discrimination below zero. I understand the basic function of discrimination, but what would be the practical reason to drop it to -6.4 or any negative number if iron comes in at zero to about 10? Can anyone help me out with this basic concept? What am I missing here? Thanks!

The description in the manual states while running "Full Tones" mode to lower the disc as low as possible to hear the iron sounds. I have found if you lower the disc to about 4, you can just about start hearing iron tones. Around a disc of 5, they get very faint. In "Full Tones" if you want to hear the iron and the other objects in all their glory, the -6.4 disc is where you need to be. The only time you would want to ever disc to -6.4 is when in Full Tone audio. The stock programs have an average disc setting of 6 and do not use full tones. Full Tones uses a different scale for Iron audio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have been detecting with D1 since almost 10 years using full tones, mostly. And this is since Gary created the very first HOT program..and COLD program... don’t remember if D1’s firmware was 2.0 or 3.2. Agree with Mudwhale, FT use a different scale for iron audio, full tones offer a very rich sonic identification. But I disagree with D2 manual when it says that prog3, Sensi FT, is a nice choice on mineralized soils because that’s not true. It’s just the worst possible choice on mineralized soils. We talked about this with Chase Goldman and this is why, on mineralized soils, would be better to set machine with less tones, I’d say 2 or 3, or setting pitch. It works better and it’s deeper on mineralized soils: that’s why I say that with less tones or in Pitch, machine is more open and less filtered. Mineralization is a big problem here where I live: full tones is a fantastic choice...on mild soils! If you have difficult soils, try full tones compared to 2-3 tones and Pitch: you’ll notice what I’m talking about. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all for the replies. I'm new to the Deus world and still trying to get my head around some of the more advanced functions and concepts of the Deus II. I know that more time and use with it will teach me more, but so far I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the D2 and even though there is so much more to learn, I can feel the potential of the advanced technology.

• Like 2