Telling The Difference Between A 5900 Di Pro SL Black And The 5900 Di Pro SL Cb Black

So, Obviously I have a Whites 5900 Di Pro SL black box metal detector 

How do I tell which one have?  Circuit board or not?

Do I need to open her up or is there some visible difference between the two?

Thank you in advance.

Old Penny

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I don't know, but I am curious why it matters? I assume since you can't tell them apart externally there is no functional difference?

Like owning a Mustang, it makes little difference between a 1964 and a 1965.   I lost the original paperwork.  Cannot remember the year of purchase and apparently the circuit board was the final refinement to the unit.  Thought possibly the unit might have a small CB emblem on it.  As you said, they function pretty much the same.  Think I purchased this in 1994.  There were a lot of newer machines available, but the old school analog appealed to me.   I believe mine is a cb.   Really, does not matter either way.    

Ok, I was genuinely curious, that’s all. Lots of models I might know, but I’m unfamiliar with that particular variation. The designation CB is also not something I recall attached to any White’s models at all, but they did love their acronyms. Di=Discrimination SL=Slim Line. Pro= For Professionals, oh my! :laugh: Hopefully somebody else will chime in.

CB stands for Composite Board. It’s indicated inside the battery door. There were apparently circuitry improvements in the CB version. Monte could tell us more about it, being a sort of historian for these machines. I remember reading his extensive posts on this detector when I had one. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

CB stands for Composite Board. It’s indicated inside the battery door. 

Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine is the 5900 CB

Not sure what the composite board actually is, but it is great knowing it has one.

Mine has been used mainly on the sugar white beaches of South Walton, Florida, so depth has rarely been an issue, but this is a beast, even at the suggested settings.  Once dialed in, you need a few bigger shovels and a team of treasure hunters to go the distance.   Impressive and always a fun experience.  I love the beach, the sand is so easy to scoop and sift, never leaving a trace of damage. So many hidden treasures that are easy to find and dig.   

Good man Cipher. Monte’s post

Not the same model, but according to the manual for 4900 DL Max:

“CB (Composite Board) indicates your new 4900/DL MAX has the latest electronic circuitry, closely related to its big brothers the 5900/Di Pro and 6000/Di Pro SL”

Knowing how companies spin things, I suspect this was nothing more than White’s moving to a different circuit board material than was used in previous models. They would take the simplest things, and try and make it sound like some big improvement, by creating a new acronym around it.

A94E3DE7-91A4-4084-8981-DDF75E79CA72.jpeg

• Like 2

yes, they went from the paper based PCB's to the new composite material glass fiber ones by the sounds of it, now paper is coming back with new nano papers.

• Like 2