Deus II On An Anderson Carbon Fiber Shaft

Brad Plohman

Here are a few pics and a bit of a review of my Deus 2 on an Anderson carbon shaft for anyone interested. I hunt almost exclusively wading in the water so my opinion is from that perspective.

Many of my complaints about the stock Deus II shaft are due to the fact that I’m a bigger guy and as slick as the Deus shaft system is, it just seems too small for me. My hand is right up against the remote and my thumb sat too high to push the buttons without releasing my grip. The cuff was way too tight and the 1” hook & loop strap was short and not robust enough for the water.  As for the shaft, again for me, it was too short. I’ve read some complaints about slop in the cam locks however mine were pretty good. There’s definitely some flex in that lower shaft though.

The Anderson shaft has tons of length, and even with it fairly extended there’s still over a foot of lower shaft engaged into the upper shaft. The Anderson lower shaft mounts to the coil with rubber spacer washers on both sides and I had to install that Deus tensioning bushing to center the coil bolt on that side. I assembled it with a little 111 grease and it works well. The Anderson shaft lock used a plastic set screw which I opted to change out for one of Steve G’s impressive Equinox cam locks. Mounting the remote requires the use of the plastic mounting bracket from the Deus shaft. It slides snuggly into the provided aluminum receiver and is secured with a plastic set screw. I drilled and secured mine with a couple SS screws as an extra measure. As for the ergonomics of the remote placement with respect to the handle, I think Anderson did a brilliant job. There’s lots of room on the handle, it’s very comfortable, and my thumb lines up perfectly for the buttons. For me at least, this shaft is a huge improvement, especially for a water application.

20220427_134942.jpg

20220427_135227.jpg

20220427_135453.jpg

20220427_135455.jpg

20220428_112411.jpg

20220428_112445.jpg

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Brad Plohman said:

The Anderson shaft has tons of length, and even with it fairly extended there’s still over a foot of lower shaft engaged into the upper shaft. The Anderson lower shaft mounts to the coil with rubber spacer washers on both sides and I had to install that Deus tensioning bushing to center the coil bolt on that side.

I can't tell from your pics, are there holes in the Anderson upper for those spring clips that hold a lower rod?  Thanks

41 minutes ago, cdv said:

It appears you ran the antenna through the shaft. Did you drill the  holes or were they already drilled in the shaft?

Cliff

No, I drilled those holes. I ran it straight inside the lower shaft, then for the upper shaft I wound it tightly around a 1/2" rod so it took a set like a coiled headphone cable then fished that into the upper shaft.  I didn't run it through the handle just under the foam grip.

20220428_142709.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for the closeup picture. Nice work, looks like a grommet wouldn't work unless it was a special one, two layers of material would be too much for the standard over the counter grommets.

Cliff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work Brad, I have the same shaft and was thinking about drilling for the cable, will do like you did. One question "Steve G’s impressive Equinox cam locks"  where can I find those? I dislike the nylon set screw, would like to swap out like you have there. 

One more thing... How did you get the old ends of the Anderson off? Are they fastened with glue or what?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eklarsen said:

Nice work Brad, I have the same shaft and was thinking about drilling for the cable, will do like you did. One question "Steve G’s impressive Equinox cam locks"  where can I find those? I dislike the nylon set screw, would like to swap out like you have there. 

One more thing... How did you get the old ends of the Anderson off? Are they fastened with glue or what?

I’m interested in how Steve’s lower camlock was installed also.  A little off topic, but I have an Anderson rod for my Equinox and really like it other than that setscrew.  I wonder if I could modify it with one of Steve’s camlocks also?

10 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

I’m interested in how Steve’s lower camlock was installed also.  A little off topic, but I have an Anderson rod for my Equinox and really like it other than that setscrew.  I wonder if I could modify it with one of Steve’s camlocks also?

You can email @steveg directly, he is very attentive and helpful. 🙂 This is a very interesting post!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, eklarsen said:

9 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Thanks, I couldn't figure out how to remove the Anderson shaft lock either, I suspect they are glued. I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut it off the shaft using the back of the shaft lock for a guide. There was plenty of shaft length to spare. Steve's cam lock was a good fit on the Anderson upper shaft and the lower shaft is probably right at the minimum diameter for the cam lock.