Fixing Gold Bug 1- Revamping A Beaten Goldbug Techhelp

Strange black wire with paper clip? Guy told me it was junk .... I shook it and heard noise inside.... Found this pleasant surprise flying around in the control housing. Anyone have an idea on this.... I'm thinking they grounded to the coils female wire jack  plate and back to the ground plate on ground reject switch... Little help here fixing up for a good friend yard sale special ? 20 bucks. They hurt her though lol seen better days

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

It's probably no help but very strange engineering there and what ever they were trying to accomplish apparently didn't work.  Only thing I can figure is as you suggested they attached the clip to a ground point maybe on the box frame, possibly held by a screw that came loose?  However if it is meant to be a grounding point and it came loose and touched any of the + circuitry while powered up it likely toasted something.  

12 hours ago, goldbugron said:

Inside the box they use foil around the inside to shield the electronics. I believe the paper clip slides onto the foil to complete the ground

That is exactly where the paper clip goes.

I still have a few coils for the Gold Bug 1. A 3x6 and a 3.75 round coil. Let me know if you are looking for any.

Thanks guys for the info. Guys going to be really stoked to get this all revamped