Suggestions For Future MDT Changes

I was talking to Dimitar this morning.  Hes looking for input we'd like to see for the NEXT MDT.   The current MDT is what it is.  So hes not doing any special mods.  But he is wanting to get ideas.  Couple of mine

1.  Change the tone to a more standard tone.  Huge difference in the water because they would be a bit better separated and longer.

2.  reduce the size of the lower and middle shaft ... more a standard size.  Much like SteveG did.

3.  Add a bit of rubber under the cuff because in the water it shifts from the torque.

4.  Allow a bit more time when doing adjustment before it switches back.

5.  I dont use the PP switch, but would like to have an easier way to toggle from AM to Disc when reverse disc. and have that button a bit larger. 

6.  Move the direction of the headphone connector so the cable goes over the shaft. 

7.  change the angel of the handle, my hand tends to slip up and pushes on the box.

8. See if we can get the 12khz to work in the water or a multi freq.

Feel free to add yours and they will be passed on.  Im hoping some of these will be added to the NEXT machine.

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

Dew --

Interesting...

Here are my thoughts...

1.  SIGNIFICANT improvement in the tones (the "mod" that Aaron posted the video on, was a very good starting point).

2.  SIGNIFICANT improvement in accuracy of the ID at depth (and with more accurate ID, more tone options could then be offered as well, instead of only a 3-tone option for the audio).  I'd like to see 5 tones at least, but would prefer "full tones" (at least through the 30-point conductive range).  But -- additional tones are ONLY USEFUL, if the target ID algorithms are made much more reliable/accurate.

3.  Allow the pinpoint button to be one press -- engage, one press -- disengage style, instead of one where you have to hold the button down continuously for it to remain in pinpoint mode.

4.  A MUCH LONGER "bottom" tube on the upper shaft, allowing more distance to be achieved between the arm cuff, and the handle.  At least 3" longer would be necessary, if not a bit more.  The short "bottom" tube on the upper shaft -- and thus the short cuff-to-handle distance, makes an already nose-heavy machine (especially with 12" coil attached) that much more uncomfortable to swing.

5.  While speaking of "nose-heavy," a BETTER-BALANCED machine would be most welcome.  The MDT with 12" coil is among the more uncomfortable machines for me -- at 6'2" tall with long arms -- to swing.  

6.  Wireless or bluetooth aptX-LL transmitter built in, for use with wireless headphones.

7.  A screen where the ID of the target "refreshes" or "updates" more slowly.  Much of the time in my experience, you can't determine what the machine thinks the ID of the target is, because the numbers are refreshing so quickly that you never get a steady readout on the screen.  It's just a "blur" of rapidly changing numbers much of the time...

8.  Better "modulation" of the tones, so that it's a bit easier to discern a deep (small) target from a shallower (mid-depth) one.

9.  ASSUMING a better/more accurate ID algorithm, then the ability to adjust not only tonal frequency/pitch (when using the standard 3-tone option), but also the ability to define which VDI numbers are assigned to which tone bin.  This would be less important, for me, however, if the machine had a "full tones" option (i.e. one tone per VDI number, similar to the 50-tones option on the Equinox).

10.  Here's a DREAM -- but it would be great...a button that allows you to change from "time domain" post-processing, to SMF VLF post-processing.  In other words, it's terrific to have the ability to "time-domain-out" things like bad dirt, black sand, tiny foil, and rust/tiny iron bits, etc.   This is something the MDT offers that other VLF units DO NOT.  BUT, it seems that because of this "time-domain post-processing," target ID suffers with the unit (I'm assuming this "time-domain post-processing" is the cause of the inaccurate VDI). 

SO -- if the target ID can't be improved within "time domain" post-processing algorithms, then perhaps the solution is to design the machine to utilize simultaneous multi-frequency, and then have a mode available where the user could quickly/easily switch to "traditional SMF VLF mode."  This would then allow the user to "re-interrogate" an already located target, by switching to this more "conventional" SMF mode, so as to get a presumably accurate VDI readout in that "mode." 

Furthermore, perhaps information from the "time domain" processing of target ID, could be COMBINED, algorithmically, with the "SMF" processing of the target ID, to combine the benefits of both methods, and actually get ID of a given target that is even SUPERIOR to that which can be achieved with, say, an Equinox or CTX (or whatever one might consider to be the "most accurate ID unit" available). 

In other words, if -- via the press of a button -- a user could enter into "MDT" mode, where MDT-type time-domain post-processing is being used, and thus allowing the user to "tune out" black sand, tiny foil, rusty iron flakes, etc. as is currently the case with the MDT, and then press the button again, to switch into "SMF VLF mode," so to speak -- i.e. to gather the most accurate target identification that can be achieved via incorporating SMF VLF post-processing, THEN you'd have a machine that could rival any unit on the market (if done well) -- and one which could be effectively employed by a deep/old coin hunter in a site littered with modern trash.

These are my thoughts.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

1. Center-mount coils.  No more rear mount coils

2.Detector rod:  Coil wire and rod needs 6 more inches, and make it thinner. OR,  Make it so the machine is adaptable to an after market rod. 

3 Better ID at depth and Tones.

• Like 2

Both Dew & SteveG have made good suggestions. I strongly second the wider tone kHz spread & handle angled forward more to better access & see the control head

The main improvement I would suggest is that Mixed Mode be TRUE Stereo. This would allow the volume of each channel to be adjusted independently with the right headphones. As it is now the AM response overpowers the Disc tone.

My other suggestions are that the next version be;

Updateable

Be able to be optimized for either Saltwater hunting OR High Mineral inland hunting by the user or from the factory.

Adjustable Black Sand function

A 7-8" coil for dense iron trash

Better explanations of the detector's capabilities, functions & adjustments to be able to understand & get maximum performance in field conditions.

• Like 1

Foam core land coils would be most welcome to take the weight off the nose on land.

A little tweak of the shaft as mentioned to accommodate longer forearms and taller people.

A small coil.

A water detector should come with waterproof headphones. 

These are things that could be changed on the detector we have. I like this thing as it is and though it is heavy on land, especially with the large epoxy coil, I cannot imagine wanting another. It seems every time I go out with it I learn some new little thing that helps use it better and I really want for little more, but if I did not have to buy a whole new one to get better, I would pony up for mods and new coils.

This machine has a simplicity and elegance in operation that I like more than any other I ever had. I would like to try that tone mod if nothing else, but I have grown used to the tones and a sling helps balance the epoxy coils. A little clumsy, but it all works so well for what I am doing it it hard to complain.

In All Metal, give it a ferrous tone and a non ferrous tone to go along with the + or - target ID's.  I don't look at the numbers normally since the display is underwater most of the time..... I just try to make out the + or - next to the numbers.  With two tones in all metal, I'd probably never look at the screen.

Maybe a brightness control for the backlight.

Lots of good comments above mine!

Cliff

• Like 2

Dang, he’s going to have to go way back to the drawing board. You guys are asking for everything to change but the name, lol. I only have three suggestions .

1. change the tones.

2. change the warranty length along with the depth rating and waterproofing.

3. updatable 

59 minutes ago, cdv said:

In All Metal, give it a ferrous tone and a non ferrous tone to go along with the + or - target ID's.  I don't look at the numbers normally since the display is underwater most of the time..... I just try to make out the + or - next to the numbers.  With two tones in all metal, I'd probably never look at the screen.

What marvelous simplicity that is. All that is really needed and nothing more.

19 hours ago, Carolina said:

Dang, he’s going to have to go way back to the drawing board. You guys are asking for everything to change but the name, lol. I only have three suggestions .

1. change the tones.

2. change the warranty length along with the depth rating and waterproofing.

3. updatable 

I  don’t like the name. Tarsacci too close to the brand Gucci.   Isn’t the double CC spelled in the word tarsacci on the detector the same as Gucci.   Isn’t that a trademark for Gucci.   

• Haha 1

Cliff… interesting thought to have AM give two tones.  That would certainly eliminate the need to flip back and forth from AM to Disc.  It would be a killer if it had 5 tones.  But… is that to many tones with just 30 non-ferr digits?   To me in the water having really deep target like aluminum upscale doesn’t affect my gold range. However there is a learning curve since some targets wrap around (iron) and upscale…. so working on that would help.  

• Like 2