Suggestions For Future MDT Changes

I’ll mention this again.  There is a 12” coil cover now for those that really like them.  $15 or $20 I don’t remember.  But Dimitar says the type of epoxy used you really don’t need it.  It’s a bit more durable than even the standard coil cover.

I’m still uncertain as to what it’s water rating is.  If it’s not currently considered for warranty purposes as water proof that a must have for beach hunters.

2 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Cliff… interesting thought to have AM give two tones.  That would certainly eliminate the need to flip back and forth from AM to Disc.  It would be a killer if it had 5 tones.  But… is that to many tones with just 30 non-ferr digits?   

Indeed. Two might be the best that can be done. The MDT seems pretty good at telling iron from everything else, not so good at high specificity beyond that in places with less than ideal conditions. Still, it does pretty darn good at dealing with iron, and for me that is important.

Perhaps in a wish list more digits might be the thing to ask for, and then more (and better) tone separation might be possible. Still though, think how nice a simple AM mode that had decent tone ID would be, even if just a simple one. I bet Dimitar could do that.

My impression is that it is the way it is because of how it assigns tones in the first place. It does not gather the same data the same way as most VLF does apparently. The fact that the tones themselves are rudimentary and coarse feeling compared to ordinary VLF might be addressed, or might have a reason someone like me cannot understand.

More than one I have talked to recently have switched to the Deus 2 because they say the audio lets the MDT down. For me and how I hunt, it works even if it takes some getting used to. Other more tech savvy people will always be moving to the next tech advance. For me, this is a simple detector that can be used intuitively and I want for little more.

I heard Dimitar mention he was working on a gold detector on some YouTube video. I wonder if that is what all this is for. That is the detector I am waiting to see. I am more than a little curious about what a Dimitar gold machine would look like given what this one does for me. 

I hunt in all metal so I don’t notice the tones except when I switch to disc.  But by then my phones modulate them well and I’ve already sized the target.   I can tell you he’s reading all these suggestions.

• Like 1

Look at all this stuff.      Reminds me of a bunch of guys at a Bar discussing what they would like to have with another wife.  Dream on.      I'll thought this one complaint out.    If your arm is getting tired, it's more than likely you need to pick a better place to hunt.    Better targets more digging.    I do notice tho when I'm in a sparse area, and my arm starts complaining,  I tend to dig more Iffy signals. Which sometimes result in a nice surprize but more often ,not.      

A Tarsacci full comfortable' dual adjustable' waterproof headphone ( without using the pigtail } would have a lot of intrust I believe.    I'd get one right now.    This might help with some having tone problems.   

The bouncing target numbers , take a little getting used to.      But this machines ability for guys like me to easily quiet it down in salt water or emi areas with depth is huge.  

I'm not gonna knock the computer update ideas.   But theres enough to master on this machine without worrying about how a saddlelight signal will help me find a Gold Honker.    Tell you what some of you guys are going to see in the future.  A waterproof cell phone that snaps on a shaft that can deliver all the target info along with keeping you up on your Tweeter account.       Now don't take me wrong on all of the above, just poking some fun on some things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fix the menu navigation. Just one that cycles through functions, no hidden functions or timeout stuff please. Tones need a serious revamp. The MDT high tone sets the record as far as I know for highest tone ever, almost inaudible to those of us with high frequency hearing loss. Finally, more than one notch, as the only one available gets pressed into service as a workaround for constant high VDI false signals, leaving no actual notch capability left after that.

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Fix the menu navigation. Just one that cycles through functions, no hidden functions or timeout stuff please. Tones need a serious revamp. The MDT high tone sets the record as far as I know for highest tone ever, almost inaudible to those of us with high frequency hearing loss. Finally, more than one notch, as the only one available gets pressed into service as a workaround for constant high VDI false signals, leaving no actual notch capability left after that.

Good suggestions.  I’m wondering if there were more digits it might pull some of the wrap around iron back where it belongs.  That notch covers several digits as well.  We heard what the tones could be and I’d have to say it would make a world of difference 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Good suggestions.  I’m wondering if there were more digits it might pull some of the wrap around iron back where it belongs.  That notch covers several digits as well.  We heard what the tones could be and I’d have to say it would make a world of difference 

The tones would make all the difference in the world. Everyone that has one says the audio needs work, except possibly those who hunt in AM most of the time.

It is to wonder though. With the new detectors out of late, the Tarsacci forum does not get much conversation. A niche detector some say, others find it eclipsed by higher tech machines that handle disc better, some find it too expensive for what it actually is. It appears many are simply moving on.

This year I bought the 12” coil and Eisenhower headphones. There was no coil cover available, nor waterproof headphones as we know. That brings the total cost of the machine up high enough to give a person pause.

I love this detector, and the new coil too. It works for what I wanted to do and this is turning out to be my best year in a while. Still, I might spend the money differently if I was making the choice right this moment. 

I am not going to trade my MDT off for a Deus II, but am not likely to put out this kind of money again for a newer version either.

True … it’s getting competitive especially when you are talking multi use.  Obviously the Deus is the most talked about with a better warranty yet still over priced.  Either that or we just got spoiled with the cost of the Nox.  But even the Nox price has edged up a couple hundred just like the Xcal did.   I think their leaking issue hasn’t helped.   I’m not willing to throw money at the Deus YET.  They are still playing with the software AND it’s just not been in the water much.   I believe it’s vital that the MDT be waterproof or there again the Deus is attractive.