Suggestions For Future MDT Changes

I have not seen/heard anything. It is a shame there is no promotion of the MDT or more public interaction from Dimitar.

• Like 1

Dancer and JCR,

Quiet is right. Dimitar has always played his cards close to the vest, but a little hint would be good. He has always been good about getting on the phone to help any way he can, but no further.

Sometime ago I watched Dimitar on a youtube video interview. I forget the name of it or who was interviewing him, but that was about as forthcoming as I have seen him be. He mentioned that he was working on a gold detector. Since then, I have seen nothing more on that.

This thread was apparently started looking for suggestions for either an updated version of the MDT or a new machine of some sort. I am glad you guys resurrected this thread, because I have been wondering what, if anything, might be happening at Tarsacci.

Personally, I am hoping for a new Tarsacci gold machine. I cannot imagine an improvement to the current MDT that would be enough better to get me to buy another. I have gotten used to how it behaves, and what it does for me, it would need to be something that sorted out the gold range a little better to make me want to upgrade.

Currently, the MDT does well at ignoring iron, and high tone coins are ridiculously easy to pick out of the worst trash, but the aluminum trash vs gold rings gets a little harder. I do not know if any of the new machines that have been coming out are any better at sorting gold rings from pull tabs, but I am happy with the choice I made when I made it.

To go a little further. I hunt in some of the worst trash environments I can find. I go where the people go, the heaviest people traffic areas I can find. Sports fields, parks, picnic areas. I am hunting the upper soil profile for recent drops. The MDT is my go to machine for this, it just plain works. A better machine would be nice of course, but for what I do, this one works better than anything I have tried.

Being so good with iron really helps for what I do, that leaves mostly the pull tabs to deal with. I do not have a really good solution for pull tabs, any little increment of improvement there would make all the difference to me.

I’ve no insight either.  Thou I like some of the suggestions.  That machine he did with the different tones I liked.  Nice to have the new battery box thou I’ve had no issues.  I prefer SteveG’s thinner shaft…. I might be wrong but I think he made a deal that you could add that in lieu of the standard on new machines.  I could be wrong but it seems the testing is being done out of country to keep things as you said close to his vest.   Personally I like leaked info as to what he’s thinking for improvements…. Just a taste.  I’m still surprised only the Legend has “barrowed” his salt balance.   Has anyone had an issue with the red on your buttons completely disappearing?  

SteveG had become a Tarsacci dealer so that makes sense.

From all that I have read about the development/design intent of the MDT, I think the TID instability is because Dimitar set it to err on the side of not missing low conductors in difficult conditions. The thinking being it is better to know something possible is there than to call it Iron too quickly. The MDT's ability to differentiate between Ferrous & Non Ferrous is very good, in fact the best in difficult ground but the TID does not reflect this precision.   Perhaps an adjustable TID control. Something like the NM Anfibio ID depth feature. This would allow users to better fine tune to their conditions/needs.

So I'm currently hunting a heavily sanded beach in Florida.    This is my 3rd plus year Hunting the Tar.    Mud and beach.    Believe me, unless on the deeper targets, don't bet against it's target ID.    Beach I'm hunting when I do find a target, it's a rusty cap or a tab.    So now & than I get a target that's close to a quarter but the numbers are just a tad higher than bouncing a little lower. I know it's a Cap call it as such and it is.   On this beach without fail.    As far as calling a quarter, numbers hard in the low 20's, it's a quarter.    Lead will trick me with a Good signal.    Tabs, like Geeser said, are another matter.  Especially the painted ones.  But being right in the Gold zone and targets being few, I dig em.  As most users know the Tar has great depth.     Got a lot of hours on this machine land/sea with no issues.   As against the most popular machine on the beach the ones that I know about,  have All flooded out to a machine.   So the Tar ain't perfect but NDT.        (No down time).  In my hands at least.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Has anyone had an issue with the red on your buttons completely disappearing?  

The red on my buttons seems as good as the day I got it. I think the land hunting might be easier on them than the water though.

19 hours ago, JCR said:

The MDT's ability to differentiate between Ferrous & Non Ferrous is very good, in fact the best in difficult ground but the TID does not reflect this precision. 

Some of the settings and that larger coil affect the TID too, but no biggie to me. One thing I notice is that when the numbers are off the usual on some coins they are often discolored and been in the ground longer. I have thought the reason such coins are even still there is because they were masked and get that color from whatever was masking them.

1 hour ago, Dancer said:

So now & than I get a target that's close to a quarter but the numbers are just a tad higher than bouncing a little lower. I know it's a Cap call it as such and it is. 

Some places I go, the crown caps are a terrible problem. There is quite a range of them and they often hit pretty good. I can never be quite sure on some of them, they sound so good. I worry less about them though, they usually hit in the pocket change area, pull tabs I feel more obliged to dig.

The presence of this sort of junk, even though it means more digging than I might want, is good news for me. I do better where there are lots of pull tabs. Sometimes I will walk away from a bad crown cap place, but will always hang in there with the tabs.

Thank about this is how many electronic engineers does Tarsacci company have? If the company has only one the owner then it’s limited to what he can dream up . One man along only has so much knowledge but put several electronic engineers together and the sky beyond of what we see they can dream up.

One man alone the Tarsacci won’t be much more than what it is now. Like so many detector companies it too will fall bye the wayside.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

Thank about this is how many electronic engineers does Tarsacci company have? If the company has only one the owner then it’s limited to what he can dream up . One man along only has so much knowledge but put several electronic engineers together and the sky beyond of what we see they can dream up.

One man alone the Tarsacci won’t be much more than what it is now. Like so many detector companies it too will fall bye the wayside.

Chuck 

I never thought of this aspect before, my impression has been that Tarsacci was a private company consisting of Dimitar and maybe a handful of employees. 

On 12/30/2022 at 11:11 AM, dewcon4414 said:

That machine he did with the different tones I liked.

This maybe is the detector Dimitar should have made, and probably should have been the upgrade if one were to be made. This one thing would have eliminated the most common complaint about this detector. 

I am used to the one I have, the best thing I ever had for bad ground. I will keep it no matter what comes next, as a used detector it is worth only a fraction of what I paid and an even a smaller fraction of what it is worth to me as a tool that still works just exactly how I wanted it to when I bought it.

It came at a premium price, hard to deny that, but takes seconds to set and go and I can operate it all day in a completely intuitive way without giving it a second thought. Not perfect, but well made and reliable.

I sold almost all my detectors within weeks of picking this up, all I kept was the Gold Racer and Mirage PI. Dunno what I keep them for, I have not used them even once since the Tarsacci came. I forget now exactly how long ago that was. I am thinking about getting an inexpensive backup to put one of those Detech Arrow coils on this Spring to cover open spaces in good ground as a sampler, maybe a T2 or Simplex, but do not want for much else.  

Random thoughts.

On 12/31/2022 at 1:35 PM, Geezer said:

I never thought of this aspect before, my impression has been that Tarsacci was a private company consisting of Dimitar and maybe a handful of employees. 

This maybe is the detector Dimitar should have made, and probably should have been the upgrade if one were to be made. This one thing would have eliminated the most common complaint about this detector. 

I am used to the one I have, the best thing I ever had for bad ground. I will keep it no matter what comes next, as a used detector it is worth only a fraction of what I paid and an even a smaller fraction of what it is worth to me as a tool that still works just exactly how I wanted it to when I bought it.

It came at a premium price, hard to deny that, but takes seconds to set and go and I can operate it all day in a completely intuitive way without giving it a second thought. Not perfect, but well made and reliable.

I sold almost all my detectors within weeks of picking this up, all I kept was the Gold Racer and Mirage PI. Dunno what I keep them for, I have not used them even once since the Tarsacci came. I forget now exactly how long ago that was. I am thinking about getting an inexpensive backup to put one of those Detech Arrow coils on this Spring to cover open spaces in good ground as a sampler, maybe a T2 or Simplex, but do not want for much else.  

Random thoughts.

Dimitar has family members involved as well so it’s not a one man show.  All seem to be capable designers.

• Like 2