Back To The Spur Spot (mission Accomplished)

I'm hoping you played the lottery this weekend as well given that the odds had to be similar to winning a million as they were to find that other spur!

Well done sir. Well done indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great hunting again, and glad that you found the other spur.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 2

Outstanding find Strick, glad you found the second one. That site is producing some spectacular finds! 🏆

I dug one cavalry spur almost whole but for the spinning part, and only found a piece of the other one. 😀 That's the problem with farms, stuff gets cut up.

Bravo! 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Outstanding find Strick, glad you found the second one. That site is producing some spectacular finds! 🏆

I dug one cavalry spur almost whole but for the spinning part, and only found a piece of the other one. 😀 That's the problem with farms, stuff gets cut up.

Bravo! 👍

Not much farming going on in the foot hills...the area used to be famous for growing wheat back in the day due to the lack of water...Moist of the wheat was shipped back to Europe. Its fun reading through all the old literature..so many things they did but now don't do. They don't grow wheat in the hills any more it's now used to graze cattle. It's going to be another tough year for cattlemen due to the drought that wont go away. To me It's looking more and more like the spot was not really detected.. All of the finds have come from a 30 yard area. I will have it hunted out soon and then do some wider exploring looking for the odd ball drop. Funny how I came across this permission...A friend/client had an old horse that was in need of going to heaven. He has helped me with permissions/combos and keys to locks in the past. After the call I asked him if there was any place else he could think of that he might have access to. I could get you into those horse paddocks over there in Culpeper if I lived there lol 

strick 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, strick said:

I could get you into those horse paddocks over there in Culpeper if I lived there lol 

😀 Ha, thanks, but we walked through enough flop for me 🤣 I was covered in red dust and smelled like a farmhand. I was thinking they must have hid some of the prize tokens under the 💩. We didn't find them all.

• Haha 2

I am relatively new at the relic hunting business but I think you need to be a bit more analytical like I am when gold prospecting. So if there are any boot nails found near the spurs keep searching until you find some trouser buttons. Check each side of the trouser buttons an you will find some pocket rivets . Near the pocket rivets should be some coins. Directly inline with the fore mentioned trouser buttons there should be a line of shirt buttons. Slightly above the shirt buttons should be some gold teeth and gold fillings. Just ignore the bones.  

• Haha 4

On 4/30/2022 at 9:28 AM, strick said:

I was back at the spur spot yesterday afternoon for 3 hours of well deserved therapy. It was hot but there was enough breeze to keep me cooled down. I sometimes hunt with  a buddy that has all his detecting needs perfectly kept in a little back pack... his boots are already on and he's ready to go detecting...the minute we turn off the truck he's out the door and hauls ass to the spot...he's usually about 10-15 minutes ahead of me. One time after he did this I walked up to the area he had already been detecting for 20 min turned on my detector  and immediately dug a nice seated quarter about 15 feet from where he was standing. As he looked at me in disbelief I calmly told him that the reason I found the quarter and he didn't was because he hauled ass to the spot and the detecting gods don't like to see greedy detectorists.  

So in following with my superstitions yesterday instead of rushing to the spot where I found the spur I made a wide fishhook pattern so as not to appear too eager to find the other one...The plan worked perfectly it was the 4-5th target I dug...On the deus 2 it was in the mid 80's and sounded not that great...as I was excavating it out of the ground I noticed why... there was a large piece of Iron covering about half of the spur...I would have put the odds of finding the other spur at zero to one...how many times have we set out to find something with our detectors only to find out it was the only one there...

I had a nice little 3 hour hunt.... the matching spur will sit in my display case next to the other one...I got a few more relics and even found a coin if you can believe that. The ground is rock hard...A shovel is out of the question.  Once I break through the hard upper surface I am able to use the Leshe tool  to get the target out but its lots of work to not damage the target. Heres a few pics... a couple showing the landscape. Happy hunting and don't be too greedy when you go detecting 🙂

strick 

thumbnail (8).jpeg

thumbnail (7).jpeg

thumbnail (3).jpeg

thumbnail (4).jpeg

thumbnail (6).jpeg

thumbnail (5).jpeg

thumbnail (2).jpeg

thumbnail (1).jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail (10).jpeg

Awesome finds dude! I'm jealous but happy for you mr.stranger strick!

• Like 1