A Big Lump And The Funeral Of The GPX 6000

phrunt

Don't worry Geof, next time he'll put me in my place 🙂

I think my broken foot has been a blessing and a curse, it's obviously a pain and hindrance but it has slowed me right down, I think my detecting has improved because of it, prior to my foot I could trip over a 4 gram nugget and not even notice it, now I'm digging up faint signals and getting the deeper targets I'd previously miss.

It's the first time I've seen an 11' die like that, they normally get really noisy from the reports I've seen with people having them die.  I guess it might be another thing that Minelab have to deal with over the warranty period with coils dying like that, I doubt it will be a one off.

• Like 4

Fantastic hunt Simon with a great reward for you. Sorry about the 6000 coil causing you to have to leave a hot area.

Sounds like that is an area that the old timers missed some gold, I would be back there more often to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 3

Well done Simon.  Thank your lucky stars for JW who keeps putting you on nuggets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Yes, JW has been immensely helpful, and educational too, rarely do we go on a gold hunt where I don't learn something from him, I very much appreciate it.

I remember JW trying to tell you to slow down a couple of years back. It is the major mistakes beginner make. When going over know areas, this is the only way to go. Once experience is gain it is a matter of of learning when to slow down as I'm sure you already know. You can always learn from old timers as they have made all the mistakes that do occur, but still keep JW on his toes when you go out with him. 😁

• Like 4

Nice chunka !  Hope ML gets JW's coil issue fixed asap.

I can't imagine you two will go someplace else for at least the next few more hunts..and good luck beating your record !

🖖🍀

• Like 3

Nice work Simon....thats a pretty nugget. JW has been a great mentor it seems...It's a great gift when someone takes you under their wing and shares what they have learned. You better let him have the next big one however. 🙂 

strick 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That's a 4+gram beauty prunt, I'd be real happy to find one that size. 

• Like 2

Great find, Simon!  That tiny coil has really done well for you.

Have you or JW tried hunting the wall of that cut (shown in the picture)?  I've heard/read people sometimes find gold (with detectors) in similar structured face exposed material.  I suppose the fact that the old-timers didn't pursue it could mean its barren, but they didn't have the tools you have and probably needed high yielding ground to make their efforts profitable.

• Like 3