Threshold

A thing I notice today. The harder I try to mitigate trash and EMI, the worse the TID numbers become. Hunting in an area with strong EMI, a soccer field and busy practice area, it was found that even if the id does not land anywhere near where it normally would a good sound is still a good target usually. Some pull tabs and can slaw of course, but an awful lot of old clad that really should not have been there. The screen numbers were all over the place even when steady and high tones no longer came up in audio even though quarters still show higher numbers.

So I dug all the clean tones and found lots of clad and doubles and one silver ring only for jewelry. So it works in this junk, with EMI, buried power lines for lights and audio, heavy fertilizer use, and irrigation lines. It wasn’t pretty but it worked.

I wonder if anyone knows how this might be explained, or how I might make better use of this. Have any seen this before? I have changed so many things lately that I am no longer quite sure what is doing what, this is a completely new experience though I have been using the MDT for 3 seasons now.

I will suggest setting your Sensitivity a little higher than what you mentioned you normally use. Try 3 & adjust your Threshold to get it stable with Black Sand On. Pick the quietest frequency. I think this will help you get a better response on in ground targets. You can also try running some Disc too.

9 hours ago, JCR said:

I will suggest setting your Sensitivity a little higher than what you mentioned you normally use. Try 3 & adjust your Threshold to get it stable with Black Sand On. Pick the quietest frequency. I think this will help you get a better response on in ground targets. You can also try running some Disc too.

Thanks, I will try that increased sensitivity, might be just enough to improve. The other things I already do.

Disc I set at 28 to prevent iron wrap, all but mandatory for what I do. I run mixed mode all the time, it is how I get around the weaknesses of the disc mode audio while keeping the ability to disc by ear. The all metal signal is in mixed mode and really helps a lot. It can be noisy for sure, but is the only way to keep track of what is going on in the dirt.

This is all an exercise in weakening the junk signals, EMI influence, and bad dirt conditions as much as possible without losing gold. This as opposed to sharpening targets to sound better than junk, and dig deeper for them. Coins are essentially bycatch, but I love to dig them and they tell me a lot about the potential of a given place.  

In other words, opposite theory as applied to metal detecting.  

19 hours ago, JCR said:

I will suggest setting your Sensitivity a little higher

Today was another day. Tried higher sensitivity, not what I wanted so tried lower. Much better. Sensitivity at 1 worked better for what I was doing. I know how crazy that sounds, but it worked for me. 

On 5/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, Geezer said:

Today was another day. Tried higher sensitivity, not what I wanted so tried lower. Much better. Sensitivity at 1 worked better for what I was doing. I know how crazy that sounds, but it worked for me. 

Hey, it's what works for you on where your hunting.     Find some settings that work, better write them down, if you forget, well it's usually Gone.      I copied a setting that was to help on finding micro gold.  Tried it on some beaches and around parks.     Result  =  Micro Alum.      We won't be finding much gold until all the skin in this country has been Inked up. Than they might start wearing Gold again.