Fifty Feet From Glory ** My Adventures At Jed's Dig Site

October 2   2012   Part One

Today we brought samples back to camp and panned them. Five trips of each of us carrying 5 gallon buckets one in each hand ½ mile back to camp for a total of 10 buckets. We were able to get samples either at or near bedrock and it wasn’t easy. Tomorrow we’ll run them through the 12 volt highbanker. We can drive them over to the creek from here. I took a walk down the mountain and Gary’s crew is gone. They still have the excavator and trommel sitting waiting to be picked up. They turned out to be some good ole’ boys. I hope to see them next season.

Dustin and I are now the only ones out here and the nights are damn cold. We have a propane Buddy heater for heat in the tent if needed. I still have a lot of areas I want to sample but I'm thinking we will only be out here another week or two. My truck is a 1998 Nissan 4X4 crew cab and 4 low will get me into a lot of places. If we stay too long I may need 4 low to get me out of here as there is no road maintenance in winter. 

I went into town and bought a few bottles of dry red wine which I like to drink and got Dustin some beer. We had stew for supper and I drank a couple glasses of wine and Dustin had a couple beers and we hit the sack. I don’t know why but I woke up in the middle of the night and got out of the tent to take a pee. It was so cold I was shaking and the sky was clear and full of stars. Then I heard something knocking around over near the propane stove which was about 200 feet from our tent. Dustin slept with a loaded 12 gauge shotgun under his cot and he was out like a light. I grabbed my 9MM with an extra clip in the holster. I also grabbed a flashlight. I started to cautiously walk over to where the disturbance was coming from.

TO BE CONTINUED .................

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1

56 minutes ago, deathray said:

Man,this is commiefornia ,I'm sure you meant 10 round,lol. Lol, jk

-

44 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

I don't live in California. Also, I heard that 10 round clip limit was overturned in court recently.

Here's the gun. I've owned it for a long time. Ruger P89DC. Two 15 round clips. One goes in the gun and the second one is in the holster. I do combat target shooting with it to stay sharp.

IMG_20220507_095207.jpg

• Like 1

October 2   2012   Part Two

I was thinking we probably had a bear in camp and was ready to start yelling to get it to leave. However, when I got closer and shined the light over there I could see the noise was not being caused by a bear. It was a mountain lion and it looked right at me. I was actually shaking while I held the light on it. It was growling real low and kind of hunched down. I realized I had frozen up with fear and snapped out of it. I pulled my Ruger P89DC out of the holster and fired off three rounds in the dirt about twenty feet in front of the lion. It got out of its crouch and bolted off in the other direction. It looked like it had been rooting around the cooking area and must have smelled something. 

I heard Dustin holler over and wanting to know what was going on. I got back to the tent and told him about the lion. He had his shotgun in his hands. He said he heard the shots and figured there might be a bear in camp. The fact that a lion was so close to our tent made us both more than a little nervous. We decided right then and there to move the camp kitchen another couple hundred feet from the tent. Dustin went back to sleep but it took me about an hour to calm down. I eventually calmed down and got back in the tent but I thought I kept hearing things. Eventually I dozed off. 

TO BE CONTINUED ................

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, deathray said:

Man,this is commiefornia ,I'm sure you meant 10 round,lol. Lol, jk

That 10 round limit was passed in 2016. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

That 10 round limit was passed in 2016. This was 2012. Also, that law has been ruled unconstitutional.

I checked into this subject of magazine capacity in California with the Sherriffs Dept. The magazine has to be altered to accept no more than 10 rounds. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

I checked into this subject of magazine capacity in California with the Sherriffs Dept. The magazine has to be altered to accept no more than 10 rounds. 

I don't agree at all, with how our rights are stomped on out here man. I'm also probably a little paranoid nowadays, about posting on the internet.  Hell, I think a law abiding citizen, should be allowed to own pretty much anything. I better leave it at that, I know Steve doesn't like anything political posted here, and I try to respect that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

If a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds was owned prior to January 1st, 2000 you can legally own it and possess it in California. In 2019 Federal Judge Benitez ruled against the ban and for 1 week (until the 9th Circuit Court overturned the ruling) Californians were able to purchase magazines that can hold over 10 rounds. It was also ruled by the 9th circuit court that anybody that purchased magazines during that "freedom week" did it legally and can legally possess them.

Crossing state lines into California with a magazine that can hold greater than 10 rounds is illegal.

I am not a lawyer, but this is how I understand the law. Do your own research and follow the law.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt said:

If a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds was owned prior to January 1st, 2000 you can legally own it and possess it in California. In 2019 Federal Judge Benitez ruled against the ban and for 1 week (until the 9th Circuit Court overturned the ruling) Californians were able to purchase magazines that can hold over 10 rounds. It was also ruled by the 9th circuit court that anybody that purchased magazines during that "freedom week" did it legally and can legally possess them.

Crossing state lines into California with a magazine that can hold greater than 10 rounds is illegal.

I am not a lawyer, but this is how I understand the law. Do your own research and follow the law.

-