Dead Remote Fix!

Loki

Love my Xp Deus 2, but like a few other people, mine died after updating the firmware. After the firmware update, it showed “SUCCESSFUL” on screen, then shut down, and would not turn back on. Contacted the seller who gave me a direct email address to contact XP, which I did immediately. After a week of not hearing anything from XP I decided to repair it myself. Not happy that it came to this for such an expensive machine.

• If you attempt this, ONLY use a plastic pry tool or plastic guitar pick.
  • Go slow and be careful as O-ring is coated in grease and can get on the inside of display screen!
  • Make sure the O-ring remains in place and lubricated during reassembly, otherwise the remote could leak if submerged.

Remove 4 screws on speaker cover and then remove speaker first, pay attention to speaker spring contact orientation for re-assembly.

Remove two screws on bottom front, remove single screw under serial # sticker. Bottom piece slides out easy enough with minimal prying. Gently slide board out, no need to remove data port nut as there is just enough slack in the wires to access the battery plug.

Unplug the two-wire jack from battery on the board (see green circle on attached picture). I waited 10 seconds then plugged back in and remote immediately booted up. Everything works fine, shuts down and turns on and operates normally. This method will also work if you have the reverse problem when the screen locks up and you do not want to wait for battery to run down.

#1.jpg

#2.jpg

#3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Oh my! 1

I love my Deus ll but $1600.00 and it comes to this! Deus needs to figure this out quickly. Glad your up and running again.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2022 at 7:32 AM, Loki said:

After a week of not hearing anything from XP I decided to repair it myself. Not happy that it came to this for such an expensive machine.

Ya, no way would I try that. Not worth voiding warranty, better to be patient and get it covered.

• Like 1

If you are a full time water hunter........absolutely would not try that. 

However, otherwise it is a good "fix". Now XP need to fix this issue on their end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Love my Xp Deus 2, but like a few other people, mine died after updating the firmware. After the firmware update, it showed “SUCCESSFUL” on screen, then shut down, and would not turn back on. Contacted the seller who gave me a direct email address to contact XP, which I did immediately. After a week of not hearing anything from XP I decided to repair it myself. Not happy that it came to this for such an expensive machine.

• If you attempt this, ONLY use a plastic pry tool or plastic guitar pick.

• Go slow and be careful as O-ring is coated in grease and can get on the inside of display screen!

• Make sure the O-ring remains in place and lubricated during reassembly, otherwise the remote could leak if submerged.

Remove two screws on bottom front, remove single screw under serial # sticker. Bottom piece slides out easy enough with minimal prying. Gently slide board out, no need to remove data port nut as there is just enough slack in the wires to access the battery plug.

Unplug the two-wire jack from battery on the board (see green circle on attached picture). I waited 10 seconds then plugged back in and remote immediately booted up. Everything works fine, shuts down and turns on and operates normally. This method will also work if you have the reverse problem when the screen locks up and you do not want to wait for battery to run down.

#3.jpg

#2.jpg

#1.jpg

I have two unanswered emails as well. What’s up with that ?

• Oh my! 3

I commend you for your skills!  But no need for bush fixes on an under warranty detector! And it will also most likely void the warranty! I would not risk that; but that's me!!👍👍

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

I commend you for your skills!  But no need for bush fixes on an under warranty detector! And it will also most likely void the warranty! I would not risk that; but that's me!!👍👍

I agree, let the factory authorized service folks handle that while under warranty. However, I do like seeing how easy, and non-destructive, it is to get into the remote if I had to, but then again, I'm used to working on electronics.

• Like 2

I agree 100% about possibly voiding the warranty!

When I contacted the seller, they stated that XP had told them if anyone had a firmware problem to give them a specific XP email address, and to contact XP with as much detail as possible about what is wrong. I followed the instructions, sent a very detailed email, and was more than happy to ship it out for a repair.

In other places online, people who have the same problem received a reply from XP about where to send the RC for repair, and mailed theirs off. After a week of hearing nothing, one can get frustrated. I had only been using the Deus 2 for 1 week before this problem arose, and then it sat on a shelf useless for a week before I decided to go this route.

• Like 5

Great post with excellent warnings. I imagine I would have done something similar had I this problem. However, you can still use the WS6 as an RC while waiting. It's not the best but that's one of the great things about this detector.

Brave move, glad it worked out for you. 👍

• Like 3