Pick Handle Failure

The homemade pick I have used for quite a while and really happy with stopped working Sunday. I decided a slightly larger handle would last longer.     Can't remember what I made the original handle from. The pick itself is carved out of a leaf spring and I welded a 1"inside diameter pipe on for a collar. It balanced well. It was tough. I liked it. Then the handle broke.  Cut the old collar off and welded an 1 1/4" piece on that is a little longer, you know, for strength. Then I couldn't find any of my broken shovel handles, I usually have one around. A piece of manzanita l had would make a cool handle. Unique. 

I screwed it up I think. Now the head looks out of proportion and it doesn't balance like before. I'll try it today and see.   

I've read some of the other posts on picks looking at designs, ergonomics, function etc. Does anyone else have a home made digger? I did see the post using plow discs.

KIMG0127.JPG

KIMG0126.JPG

KIMG0125.JPG

KIMG0124.JPG

KIMG0123.JPG

KIMG0122.JPG

• Like 5

Plow discs are great.  You will get a lot of heads from one disc. Get a 24 inch diameter in 3/16 or 5mm, if you want to keep the pick on the lightweight side.   This is one I recently cut for a backpack size pick

pic.jpg

• Like 7

That manzanita handle is beautiful! Its hard to find a straight piece of it much longer than a couple feet!

4 hours ago, WesD said:

Plow discs are great.  You will get a lot of heads from one disc. Get a 24 inch diameter in 3/16 or 5mm, if you want to keep the pick on the lightweight side.   This is one I recently cut for a backpack size pick

pic.jpg

Nice! What are you cutting the discs with, a bandsaw? Also, are you tempering the blade any?

3 hours ago, Lost Scout said:

What are you using for the collar?

Looks like he’s using pipe and making it oval. Very nice indeed!

Went out and dug up some more of my yard and the handle isn't too bad! I was hoping for a little more of the red heartwood but happy it's going to work. The spring leaf l used is super strong and i may go ahead and make another or two. One short and one long. 

• Like 1

Probably use a shovel handle next. It should be close to 1 1/4 pipe and be stronger than the 1". And I may have a seasoned crab apple branch to try.