Pick Handle Failure

I made all my pick heads from a plow disc, for the handle I got some broken pool cues from the local tavern , they made the best handles ever.

Cheers

• Like 2

Grandfather and I have used leaf springs in the past, then welded 1 1/4 inch pipe to it. Then we used a press to flatten the pipe a little bit so we could insert a axe handle into it. They work great and handles are easy to find.

The wood that you used is really strong and should last a long time.

• Like 1

One mod that I did to my pick was to get a muffler shop employee to Tig/Mig Welded a small hand held impact driver tip on my hand pick like the top one. It great on all hard surfaces including Quartz.

53746043_Screenshot2022-05-04174139.jpg.b63d7b04bfadc332d809c2946ed7384a.jpg

• Like 4

I can vouch for the plough disc approach.... the  carbon steel in them is brilliant for picks and diggers.

Here are a couple of picks and a plug digger I made from one.

E597FAB4-DC77-4364-9BB6-6956BF468060.jpeg

536B1B7A-56DD-4EB6-9E52-80DE9192824B.jpeg

054D5A94-7DA9-43CC-B871-E475E4C55E86.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Bootscrape said:

I can vouch for the plough disc approach.... the  carbon steel in them is brilliant for picks and diggers.

Here are a couple of picks and a plug digger I made from one.

E597FAB4-DC77-4364-9BB6-6956BF468060.jpeg

536B1B7A-56DD-4EB6-9E52-80DE9192824B.jpeg

054D5A94-7DA9-43CC-B871-E475E4C55E86.jpeg

Nice work, beautiful tools! Curious- I assume you are cutting these with a bandsaw? What type of blade?  Also, would tempering them when complete be good or a bad thing?

Id recommend an abrasive disc to cut it. The ultra thin ones, and use something like a curved 2 inch flat bar clamped to it for a cutting guide. The cut will come out straight and you can hit it on a belt sander to make it perfect. I dont see how you would cut a large disc on a bandsaw, plus its very hard alloyed steel.   1.375 tube with 1/16 wall thickness works good for the smaller sledge hammer/maul Link brand handles. I have never tore a handle off and use some large 3 foot picks for stripping overburden.

As far a heat tempering I wouldnt worry about it. You are not heating the blade much while cutting and you can go slow when you are near the point. All pick heads will wear out no matter what you do, if your in the rocks anyway.

• Thanks 1

As WesD said I cut mine with a angle grinder and thin cutting disc for hard steel.

I don’t use a guide, just be patient and follow your line slowly, being careful not to skew your disc in the cut or it can shatter unexpectedly. Obviously all safety gear is mandatory ☠️

• Like 1