Best Beaches In Hawaiian Islands For Underwater Detecting

Thought I'd use DP's huge membership knowledge rather than the internet to find beaches and islands to detect underwater. Went to Kauai last summer during Covid and had a hard time with my EQ800 fighting surges/waves and trying to scoop at the same time.   No one told me..read, "I didn't do my homework" and thought I needed to scoop targets. It seems that the EQ will withstand a 6 foot dive to the bottom to recover a target..if I interpret posts correctly.  

I think if I go back I will take the EQ as well as a "shortened" White's PI Surf detector if I want to do a day of SCUBA with a detector. I was told by a "regular" Cancun detectorist that due to Covid there were ZERO beachgoers and to wait a year to go to Cancun. Any tips on beaches in Hawaiian Islands? Been to Kauai and did not like the "layout" if you intend to drive anywhere! Ok for staying in one place/resort, but hated driving. Did do a helicopter tour and enjoyed it a lot!

Funny aside, Steve H turned me on to search for info on beach detecting and I saw a video of a guy with a "handful" of jewelry at Cannes France...I was there overnight in 2007 but wasn't detecting at that time.

• Like 1

Yea I could see a "local" thinking "hey this is my ATM"! Thx!

PS: Another aside that has nothing to do with detecting..just SCUBA diving. For all you divers out there, if you visit Kona on the big island you should do the Manta Rey dive at night as it's awesome! You do a twilight dive 1st then when dark they have floodlights in a circle on the bottom (shallow ) and that attracts the Mantas to come scoop up Krill. They do loop after loop right over your head where you are all kneeling around the circle. Got some good underwater pictures.

10 hours ago, SeabeeRon said:

Black Point in front of the Sheraton at Kanapalli Beach on Maui.

It gets lots of snorkelers who lose jewelry! 

There was a local guy who hits it pretty regularly though.

I hit Black Rock two weeks ago during Spring Break, on New Year's, last Thanksgiving and last summer!

It's actually called Black Rock and it sees thousands of people a week. It also sees metal detectors on the beach and underwater almost every day and night. I have never been there when there is not another person or persons detecting.

There are finds, but you have to be in the right spot at the right time. I like the early morning at sun up before the tourists get there and the beach gets crowded.

We were snorkeling there two weeks ago and my friend saw something sinking right after a girl jumped off the cliff. It was her apple watch and my friend dove down and got it for her. There were a couple guys at new years working the shoreline with snorkels in about 7 feet of water with custom shafts that were really long. I waited for them to get out of the water and tried talking to them but they wouldn't even say hello. Right as they were leaving a guy showed up with scuba tanks and his detector. He was nice and we talked quite a bit. Said he goes out there about once a week.