Question About Full Tones, Disc And Notch

NCtoad

Just wondering:  if I’m using full tones and have my disc set to 6 so I can hear low tones on iron, but I also set a notch from 6-35 to knock out foil and small canslaw, I will not hear any tone from 6-35, correct?   I want to be able to hear low tones on iron only.  However, if I set the disc at 35 with no notch at all, I’ll hear low tones on small foil and such all the way to 35.  Is this correct?   Again I’m talking when I’m in full tones.  

2 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Just wondering:  if I’m using full tones and have my disc set to 6 so I can hear low tones on iron, but I also set a notch from 6-35 to knock out foil and small canslaw, I will not hear any tone from 6-35, correct?   I want to be able to hear low tones on iron only.  However, if I set the disc at 35 with no notch at all, I’ll hear low tones on small foil and such all the way to 35.  Is this correct?   Again I’m talking when I’m in full tones.  

Using Full Tones,I start to lose iron tones at a disc around 5. Maybe my hearing loss? I run a disc around 3-4 to just start to hear the iron. I don't use notch much except in Park program. I have been using 3 and 4 tones with custom tones as a filter instead of notching. You can try setting disc to as low as you7 want and try the iron audio levels under the Disc menu.

Cheers and HH

• Thanks 1

Ok, I assumed wrong in my thinking that everything that hits below the disc setting in full tones gives an iron tone.  I just tested this with a rusty nail that rings up as 3.  If I set my disc to anything above 3 I get no tone at all.  3 and below gives me a low iron tone. I tested this in general 1 FT and program 3 (sensitive FT).  I also tried it with a zinc penny and a shotgun shell headstamp.  The penny came in at 83 with a high tone with disc set at 83 or below.  Any disc setting above 83 and I get no tone (silence).  Same with headstamp which rang up at 72.  

So I tried the same experiment in pitch.  In pitch tones anything that rings in below your disc setting comes in with an iron tone.  Doesn’t matter if ferrous or non-ferrous.  For example, that zinc penny will come in with an iron tone if I set my disc at 84 or higher.  

i really wish full tones would act in the same manner!   There’s many instances where I want to hear the iron below my disc setting in full tones.  I really like full tones, but if the disc is working like a notch where you don’t hear anything then disc settings don’t seem to serve a purpose imo.  For example if I’m hunting in the woods and want to hear iron to see where there was activity I can set my disc to 6 or so.  But then I should also be able to notch out small foil so I don’t hear that.  I guess I’ll just have to set my disc really low like 0 or 1.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Ok, I assumed wrong in my thinking that everything that hits below the disc setting in full tones gives an iron tone.  I just tested this with a rusty nail that rings up as 3.  If I set my disc to anything above 3 I get no tone at all.  3 and below gives me a low iron tone. I tested this in general 1 FT and program 3 (sensitive FT).  I also tried it with a zinc penny and a shotgun shell headstamp.  The penny came in at 83 with a high tone with disc set at 83 or below.  Any disc setting above 83 and I get no tone (silence).  Same with headstamp which rang up at 72.  

So I tried the same experiment in pitch.  In pitch tones anything that rings in below your disc setting comes in with an iron tone.  Doesn’t matter if ferrous or non-ferrous.  For example, that zinc penny will come in with an iron tone if I set my disc at 84 or higher.  

i really wish full tones would act in the same manner!   There’s many instances where I want to hear the iron below my disc setting in full tones.  I really like full tones, but if the disc is working like a notch where you don’t hear anything then disc settings don’t seem to serve a purpose imo.  For example if I’m hunting in the woods and want to hear iron to see where there was activity I can set my disc to 6 or so.  But then I should also be able to notch out small foil so I don’t hear that.  I guess I’ll just have to set my disc really low like 0 or 1.  

Sir

Full tones, unlike any other audio mode, uses a different scale for iron audio. If you disc -6.4 in full tones you will hear all the iron. I disc up until it is there in the audio but just enough to know I am around iron. All the other tone modes work with a disc of 6 or whatever your preference. Full tones is the audio mode that can be confusing. I had to ask a lot of questions myself because the manual confused me.

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mudwhale said:

Sir

Full tones, unlike any other audio mode, uses a different scale for iron audio. If you disc -6.4 in full tones you will hear all the iron. I disc up until it is there in the audio but just enough to know I am around iron. All the other tone modes work with a disc of 6 or whatever your preference. Full tones is the audio mode that can be confusing. I had to ask a lot of questions myself because the manual confused me.

Cheers

Agree, no need to hear it all if you simply want to hear that you are swinging over "typical" iron.  In Full Tones (FT), -6.4 can be overkill and will result in hearing micro iron and ceramics and perhaps even ground noise (but if you need to hear that stuff, that's why -6.4 is available).  And as noted, if you set disc too high (above 3 to 5) you will completely lose iron tones in Full Tones.  There is no disc iron volume above that maximum disc setting unlike when using Pitch or Multi Tones (2,3,4,5 tones).  When using Full Tones in a program, I set disc anywhere from -2 to +2 to limit the iron "noise" and impact on non-ferrous TID down-averaging but still enable some iron to be heard to know I am near a former structure or place of human habitation   In vers 0.71, XP enhanced the FT non-discriminated iron volume and allows you to adjust that volume but you can only hear the iron you don't discriminate out.   Really wish they implemented iron volume in FT the way they did it with Pitch and Multitones where you can adjust the vo.ume level of the discriminated iron.  Still experimenting with optimum disc settings in full tones.  I use PCM full tones more as a target interrogation tool than as a pure search mode because the FT audio is so expressive and reactive to the nature and shape of the target, it gives you a good feel if you are swinging over non-symmetric, non-round targets like can slaw, high tid aluminum cans (distorted, "hollow" audio compared to the PCM FT "Sonar Ping" sound of a coin, button or ring), bent tabs, etc. that can ring up with gold or silver coin IDs and that sound pretty good in multi tones, or pitch (especially with Square wave audio).

HTH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2