ID Request: Metallic 'rocks' Found With Metal Detector

Really no point in people posting blurry photos for id help. It’s hard enough to id from photos, no more than just posting guesses when they are blurry. More information about the geologic context, detector used, target id numbers (if any) etc. all help.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to ID Request: Metallic 'rocks' Found With Metal Detector
11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Really no point in people posting blurry photos for id help. It’s hard enough to id from photos, no more than just posting guesses when they are blurry. More information about the geologic context, detector used, target id numbers (if any) etc. all help.

I will try to get some clearer images. 

Found using a Garrett Euro Ace / Garrett Ace 350 and the signal it triggers is the 7th of 12 into the non-ferrous range.

We recently dug a shallow drainage ditch along the side of a field and I went along it and found these in the spoil alongside it.

I did scrape it on porcelain and it drew a black line.

11 hours ago, SirRobHiFi said:

I did scrape it on porcelain and it drew a black line.

Another easy test is to see if it's attracted to a magnet.  (The stronger the magnet, the better if you're getting a negative result.)

Moh's hardness test is yet another common, required one.  Besides the classic materials, here are a few easily found items which can help.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Another easy test is to see if it's attracted to a magnet.  (The stronger the magnet, the better if you're getting a negative result.)

Moh's hardness test is yet another common, required one.  Besides the classic materials, here are a few easily found items which can help.

No decent magnet to hand but for hardness it scratched steel nail clippers and the bottom of a drinking glass but not a piece of quartz.