New Notch Feature In V0.71?

I checked the manual and there is no mention of this, but I noticed after the V0.71 update (from V0.6) there is now a notch setting of OFF. Is that any different from setting notch to 00.00 and if so what's the difference?

6 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I checked the manual and there is no mention of this, but I noticed after the V0.71 update (from V0.6) there is now a notch setting of OFF. Is that any different from setting notch to 00.00 and if so what's the difference?

Part of what it means is that in the Relic program you can notch out 00-00 so detecting "everything" won't drive you nuts. Chase showed me that in Culpeper thank God. 😀 It may be adjustable beyond that, but I haven't tried it. That was useful in the hot soil there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gary lets see the big difference in Relic program. A 00 underground target which gives a positive sound with notch off but gone with 00-00 notch. So it’s important to set notch on off. It could be, for example, a very deep target..

PS. That’s a v07 feature...of course is the same with 0.71 update..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ogliuga said:

So it’s important to set notch on off. It could be, for example, a very deep target..

Normally I would try to keep notch off in my area. I have no mineralization. Culpeper, VA is unique to me, the soil is so mineralized it throws bars across the ground indicator sometimes. Brutal place.

In Culpeper you can pretty much forget "very deep target" if you have a VLF detector. The Deus makes more noise than the Equinox in all metal there, and even that is debatable. It is well known that if you want to find anything deep there you must use a PI detector. There are many other US regions that this would be important in.

I explained one use for notch, perhaps you can explain others and not gainsay what you don't know?

• Like 2

I have a large area here with strong hematite mineralization. But there are mild soils as well. Since I own the D2, hematite area is no more impossible with a VLF detector. Because D2 can detect also very low conductors. I have pulse inductions because of this hematite area and I would have never said to go detecting there with a vlf. I have to test better “notch off” feature..

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ogliuga said:

I have a large area here with strong hematite mineralization. But there are mild soils as well. Since I own the D2, hematite area is no more impossible with a VLF detector. Because D2 can detect also very low conductors. I have pulse inductions because of this hematite area and I would have never said to go detecting there with a vlf. I have to test better “notch off” feature..

Thanks for the reply. 🙂 I understand the use of notch off, finding pottery can be an important indicator of habitation, I also watched Gary's video. For sure the Deus 2 is fast becoming a powerful detector, and you are absolutely correct in writing that using 00-00 notch could cause one to miss a deep target in a better environment. 👍I was merely explaining one possible use for the setting. Very narrow. 🙂 Looking forward to your future tests. I'm not big on testing, more on finding 😀

• Like 3

I agree with you and with what you said. But I like to find more than to test! 😜. Anyway I like to test machines because in my opinion is very important to learn about soils and therefore to set up a machine in the best possible way. But once you get to know the soil, tests become useful...unless you enjoy doing them! 👍

• Like 3

Thanks, guys! I remember the bit in the video about 00-00 being the catch-all bin for an unknown target. So you are saying that OFF lets the unknowns through and 00-00 notches them out, correct?

• Like 2

Yes, it’s right!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Normally I would try to keep notch off in my area. I have no mineralization. Culpeper, VA is unique to me, the soil is so mineralized it throws bars across the ground indicator sometimes. Brutal place.

In Culpeper you can pretty much forget "very deep target" if you have a VLF detector. The Deus makes more noise than the Equinox in all metal there, and even that is debatable. It is well known that if you want to find anything deep there you must use a PI detector. There are many other US regions that this would be important in.

I explained one use for notch, perhaps you can explain others and not gainsay what you don't know?

Part on my hell for over 40 years when I head 50 miles north.

• Like 2