Why I Tend Not To Post My Finds

There are a lot of busybodies in the world.

To get rid of any personal information in your photos make sure you right click on the photo, go to details, select remove properties and personal information.  Then select remove the following properties from this file, and select remove all.  At least you wont have people geolocating your photos this way.

• Like 3

As long as you don't say where it was found, I wouldn't worry about posting it. Those who complain about detecting in general can just be ignored.

Rarely do metal detectorists find anything of historical significance. 99.9% of the so called "artifacts" we dig have already been well documented so finding another coin, button, buckle, or musket ball is not going to provide any new information that isn't already known.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Kodiak said:

To get rid of any personal information in your photos make sure you right click on the photo, go to details, select remove properties and personal information.  Then select remove the following properties from this file, and select remove all.  At least you wont have people geolocating your photos this way.

I changed the selection in the camera app in my Galaxy to not save location information. 👍

4 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

As long as you don't say where it was found, I wouldn't worry about posting it. ...

Exactly.   The only times I can recall any busy-body griping that an md'r should "donate something", is when it's connected to provenance somewhere.   But to simply show off an old coin or rare buckle or whatever ......... No ......  I do not know of any md'rs who have been bugged to "donate it" to anywhere or anyone.

Half the fun of md'ing is the show & tell aspect.  So by all means :  Show & tell.  No one's gonna hunt you down and say "donate it" to anywhere.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Cipher, the title of your post is : "Why I Tend Not To Post My Finds "    But what you are talking about, would only happen if you paraded cool historic finds in front of purist archie types.   And only then-so, if you're telling where you found the stuff.  What you are talking about does not happen on md'ing forums like this.

Many of us post our show & tell on md'ing forums ALL THE TIME.   And no one gets in touch with us saying : "You should donate that, blah blah"  

So I think what you meant is, that you don't do your show & tell to purist museum archie type people.  Right ?

And actually, most museums these days do not even say those things.  They are OVERWHELMED with donations, from sincere well-meaning citizens.   And unless you had something phenomenal (George Washington's personal wrist-watch), no one is going to be saying those things.   About the only people that would say those things, are purist archies.  And those types are NOT hanging out on md'ing forums !    🤣

So:  Post away !  Let's see you're bragging rights  🧐

I was careful to say that it hasn’t happened here on this forum, though I have not posted much here either. When it happens, it is local social media pages. I sure didn’t mean to imply it happens to everyone all the time. I’m not sure what the point of your post is other than to take the long way around calling me a liar. A rare occurrence it may be, but it has happened to me. I have a track record here, and I’m not known for wild dirt fishing tales or exaggeration. It’s just not even the kind of person I am. I’ll leave it at that. 

17 hours ago, jmaryt said:

tom! you can talk a 'snake" back into it's hole!  ehe! heh !he! 

(h.h!)
j.t.

If this wasn’t meant to be personally offensive, it was a poor choice of words. 

23 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

..... When it happens, it is local social media pages.....

From the title of your post, I wasn't sure what platform you were talking about.

But yes:  I *have* seen some history FB pages (geographic specific locale chit-chat pages), where sometimes md'rs have come onboard, showing off something they found at "such & such stage stop", or whatever.  AND YES ! :  The purist archie types might BRISTLE with disdain.   Yes.  I have seen that reaction.

But as we all can agree, Not on md'ing hobbyist chit-chat pages.

Really depends on the item and location it was found. I found a few large cents in a school yard. Lady passing by that happened to work at the local museum said I should donate them. Nothing historic about the large cents other than being old and most likely were dumped there when fill was added to the school that was built in the 70's so her suggestion fell on deaf ears.

Year later I found a nice medallion that was silver plated commemorating the founding of the city. Park is old and most likely a native drop back in the day. Called the same museum and they were not interested at all.

So if it is super rare and has some significance then maybe try to find a home. Class rings I try to return but regular jewelry not likely especially if there is no inscription on them. Most high value jewelry is usually insured so returning it the owner would be double dipping. Finders keepers.

I haven't posted much here in a while, just lazy 🙂

• Like 2