My 0.71 Update Experience

I admit to being somewhat  reserved about jumping right in to the latest update, but this morning, I decided to try it on my secondary Deus 2 that I’ve christened the “Test Dummy.”
After following the exact sequence as shown on the XP update screen for a flawless installation, I added all custom programs back in and ran it through my test garden.  Everything worked as designed…..smooth with no glitches!    
The final “real world” test will be Sunday evening at Cocoa Beach…dry, damp and wet sand and surf.  If all goes well, as I fully expect, I’ll update my primary Deus 2 and that of my hunting buddy's.
My advice to those similarly reluctant souls would be to follow the exact procedure on the XP update screen and you should be fine….no shortcuts or deviation. 😊 

• Like 6

I updated from version 6.0 to 7.1 and experienced a considerable amount of depth loss. With 6.0 I was hitting a penny at 9-10" on an air test and less than 6" with version 7.1. I also air tested a large cent and with 6.0 was picking it up at around 16" and with 7.1 around 10". Had anyone else experienced this? I wish I had never updated from the original to 6.0 to begin with and was very disappointed with 7.1.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kriticalj said:

I updated from version 6.0 to 7.1 and experienced a considerable amount of depth loss. With 6.0 I was hitting a penny at 9-10" on an air test and less than 6" with version 7.1. I also air tested a large cent and with 6.0 was picking it up at around 16" and with 7.1 around 10". Had anyone else experienced this? I wish I had never updated from the original to 6.0 to begin with and was very disappointed with 7.1.

Have not encountered any performance issues with 0.71.  Works A LOT better than 0.6 so far in terms of the improvements to the filters, audio, and the addition of notch to Relic and Gold Field - not missing 0.6 at all.   A number of folks who post here have upgraded to 0.71 and you are the first to report a performance issue.

Air tests are notoriously unreliable benchmarks.  Are you 100% sure the machine was set up identically in both cases (i.e., same mode with the same exact settings for ALL parametes including frequency channel (same EMI situation) for both versions?)  What program and settings are you using for your air tests?  If you are convinced there is an issue, try reloading the update and test again.  If you still don't like it you can still easily roll back to ver 0.6, so no need to wish you hadn't upgraded.

• Like 8

While I haven’t spent much time detecting since updating to V .71 the detecting I did was enough to satisfy myself all is good. I’m ready to do my other unit as soon as I get the chance ( I’m using a laptop at my job). 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Have not encountered any performance issues with 0.71.  Works A LOT better than 0.6 so far in terms of the improvements to the filters, audio, and the addition of notch to Relic and Gold Field - not missing 0.6 at all.   A number of folks who post here have upgraded to 0.71 and you are the first to report a performance issue.

Air tests are notoriously unreliable benchmarks.  Are you 100% sure the machine was set up identically in both cases (i.e., same mode with the same exact settings for ALL parametes including frequency channel (same EMI situation) for both versions?)  What program and settings are you using for your air tests?  If you are convinced there is an issue, try reloading the update and test again.  If you still don't like it you can still easily roll back to ver 0.6, so no need to wish you hadn't upgraded.

I fully agree with Chase.  I have not had any negative performance issues...only positive performance results.  Updating my other D2 and my hunting buddy's D2 today and hitting the Cape Canaveral beaches again tomorrow. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just got back from the beach in Savannah. I used both my Equinox 600 with the 10x5 and the Deus 2 with V0.71. I noticed very little difference in depth between the two and am fully convinced there are no depth issues, I dug many targets with both that were very deep, sometimes a much as 12".

The only nod I give the D2 is the fact that it is much lighter and far more adjustable than my Equinox. I think I dug less trash with the Equinox but that was directly related to my experience with the D2. Of late I can say I'm approaching the same level of coordination with the D2 now, it's different enough to have the learning curve become steeper.

The effectiveness of a VLF detector in my limited experience seems more a function of coordination (ear, eye, hand) than the concept of depth. Once proficient in learning the way a machine identifies a target, the rest is left to coordination, repetition and perseverance. 🙂

• Like 5

I concur with the favorable reports of V0.71 update. I went out with it to the same park I always use for my "training park". I was there a few times with V0.6 (Jan. version), updated to V0.71, and went back out to it again a few days ago. The new update seems noticeably better with the stock programs and the 3 custom programs I've been learning. Depth was no different than usual from what I could tell. I was still hitting good signals from 6-8 inches in my iron mineralized soil and a few deeper which I passed on. Personally, I'm happy with the update and it's making my learning process even easier.   

• Like 6

Agree with you. No depth issue with 0.71. 

• Like 3