My New GPX 6000 Is Faulty, Straight Out Of The Box

Well, lucky I was planning to take my GPZ as a backup for this weekends gold hunt, I charged my GPX 6000 I picked up yesterday overnight so it'd be ready for today.  The headphones didn't fully charge even though they had about 10 hours they're still flashing red/blue this morning so they're likely duds but the worst part is the GPX doesn't even turn on.

I can't be more disappointed, I knew the GPX was rubbish quality, but I didn't quite think the extend of the problem was this bad that both JW's and mine would both be faulty.  I almost expected it to develop a fault at some point, I didn't think the first time using it.

Good work Minelab!

Here is JW's faulty one

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6
  • Oh my! 5

That sucks! Did you try another battery to see if it is just a bad battery?

• Like 2

Just now, abenson said:

That sucks! Did you try another battery to see if it is just a bad battery?

I don't have another battery and it's Minelabs problem to deal with so I'm not going to do anything, they can replace the thing.

I'm giving it back to the dealer who's taking it back to Christchurch with him on Monday and he'll arrange a replacement for it and ship it down to me.

I knew their quality was very low but having two out of two both bad is just insanity.

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

Has the dealer experienced other problems with the 6000s?

Understand your disappointment and you have a right to complain. Rest assured Minelab will sort it out for you and once that’s done you’ll be very happy with the result. At least now you have the right to bag them out, now that you’ve joined the 6000 club. (Joke 😝).

I have to say though I find your comments about being fragile or not being built tough a bit out of kilter, the 6000 is actually quite robust and very good quality build wise. I’ve had zero issues with things like the twist locks and mounting hardware for the coils and control box etc (have seen some people complaining about the screws behind the speaker shroud coming loose but its an easy fix to tighten them). You soon get used to holding the coil with your foot to twist into alignment, if it goes out too easily just tighten them a bit more, I prefer this setup because I can collapse the unit right down for transport etc. Another tip is to disassemble the shafts occasionally and wipe the them with a damp micro fibre cloth to remove dust. Other than that the 6000 is pretty solid in my book. 

JP

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

JP, I just bought one yesterday, it's already a lemon, JW's died too.

• Sad 1

Well I gave it a good tapping Russian style like in the movies.

Now it turns on like this (I put the wrong video up again the first time, this is the correct one)

Mitchel, I am sure you could count on one hand how many GPX 6000's are in NZ at the moment, JW, myself and a couple of others and both JW and mine are faulty.  Another guy has been trying to sell his on our local auction site for months, he bought it and is selling it near straight away, I guess he didn't gel with it.  I didn't want to buy his as I don't want second hand as I have little faith in the build quality, the longer the warranty the better.

JP, I've seen first hand JW's ones coil twisting, and his little back flap is always hanging open as it just won't stay shut.  We are talking a very expensive detector here, you may find this sort of build quality acceptable but I sure don't.

You'll have to excuse my vent, my dealer went through a giant mission to bring this down to Queenstown for me, and now its doing this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phrunt said:

JP, I just bought one yesterday, it's already a lemon, JW's died too.

I know mate, everyone now knows. It sucks and I feel for you. 😔  Rest assured ML will get on top of it and deal with the problem ASAP, they always go above and beyond when it comes to issues. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

Well I gave it a good tapping Russian style like in the movies.

Now it turns on like this

Mitchel, I am sure you could count on one hand how many GPX 6000's are in NZ at the moment, JW, myself and a couple of others and both JW and mine are faulty.  Another guy has been trying to sell his on our local auction site for months, he bought it and is selling it near straight away, I guess he didn't gel with it.  I didn't want to buy his as I don't want second hand as I have little faith in the build quality, the longer the warranty the better.

JP, I've seen first hand JW's ones coil twisting, and his little back flat is always hanging open as it just won't stay shut.  We are talking a very expensive detector here, you may find this sort of build quality acceptable but I sure don't.

After many many years being out bush with occasional dead detectors I completely understand the frustration and disappointment in having a dead detector, especially one straight out of the box. It happens and it is frustrating and I’m sure it feels nice to vent on a public forum and pass on some of the anger and frustration. I’d say you’re the last person ML or any company would want to end up with a bad bit of gear being sent to. Only thing I can say is have patience ML will get it sorted out for you as quickly as possible.

JP

• Like 2

Just now, Jonathan Porter said:

After many many years being out bush with occasional dead detectors I completely understand the frustration and disappointment in having a dead detector, especially one straight out of the box. It happens and it is frustrating and I’m sure it feels nice to vent on a public forum and pass on some of the anger and frustration. I’d say you’re the last person ML or any company would want to end up with a bad bit of gear being sent to. Only thing I can say is have patience ML will get it sorted out for you as quickly as possible.

JP

All good JP, it just destroys this weekends plans, I've been on the phone to my dealer, he's about to fly out in a helicopter for a detecting mission so it was poor timing, he was boarding when I rang 🙂 He's got another one in stock and he's going to ship it down to me on Tuesday when he gets back to Christchurch.  I feel bad as now he's got this on his mind when he should be enjoying his heli-detecting trip so I feel I've damaged a bit of the fun for his weekend too. 

I've seen so many instances of this, i'm certainly not a rarity, that's what makes it so annoying, I thought by waiting 6 months or so after it came out they'd have ironed out some of these manufacturing problems, I guess not.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked