My New GPX 6000 Is Faulty, Straight Out Of The Box

Hope you have better luck than i did. I had to send two back and thankfully the third one they sent is working properly, so far! I think the build quality is probably ok, but to me the quality control part of it is really not very good. Good Luck!!

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

Hate to bare more bad news on your already bad day …….. hopefully you bought a genuine Minelab and not a Chinese Knock off Counterfeit  ☠️ 

Hopefully That’s not The case & you get it fixed soon. 😎

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rob in (ca) said:

Hate to bare more bad news on your already bad day …….. hopefully you bought a genuine Minelab and not a Chinese Knock off Counterfeit  ☠️ Hopefully That’s not The case & you get it fixed soon. 😎

nah it's a genuine, its from my Minelab dealer that is a friend, I have no concerns about authenticity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

Well, lucky I was planning to take my GPZ as a backup for this weekends gold hunt, I charged my GPX 6000 I picked up yesterday overnight so it'd be ready for today.  The headphones didn't fully charge even though they had about 10 hours they're still flashing red/blue this morning so they're likely duds but the worst part is the GPX doesn't even turn on.

I can't be more disappointed, I knew the GPX was rubbish quality, but I didn't quite think the extend of the problem was this bad that both JW's and mine would both be faulty.  I almost expected it to develop a fault at some point, I didn't think the first time using it.

Good work Minelab!

Here is JW's faulty one

Hi Simon, As you know mine did the same thing. ML where quick to sort out a replacement and i had them fully test it before i received it. The replacement one worked perfectly, now that i have well over 100 hours on it the 11 inch coil its becoming more and more noisy, bump sensitive etc (faulty). I'm hanging out for the coiltek and nugget finder coils lol.

I'm sorry to hear that Simon. I was shocked to read your post. I thought by now they would have eliminated the DOA detector problem. I bought mine a while ago. It powered up but went right to the "!" symbol. JW's was showing a coil problem, yours didn't even turn on.  I'm really starting to worry that this is the way Minelab is going to approach manufacturing. I could see if this was their low end line of detectors, but this is geared for serious detectorists that pay good money and deserve better quality control than this. I know it's been said that Minelab will make it right, and they probably will, but that does not excuse the fact that it keeps happening. It shows a lack of concern for people's time, money and frankly puts a downer on the image of the machine. Mine has sat for months now. I charge the battery and headphones, but there is always that stressful feeling that one day I will go to use it and it won't turn on. It's sad how companies start off with a lot of energy and seem to be really vested in making a great product that will take the world by storm. When they get big and make it, the essence of the company shifts more towards making profit. They will always make a great product, but only if it powers up.

• Like 5

That sucks man. But I'm glad you posted it. These are ultra premium detectors for ultra premium prices, we have a right to expect the best in them, not shortcuts. Certainly have a right to expect a working detector. :huh: Not even sure how that would escape even basic levels of QA/QC...

Does the manual explain what that error is? Or like are the batteries chipped too and prone to failure or something? Might try one of JW's batteries just out of curiosity.

Hopefully they get you a running one in quick order. It's actually a good detector, performance wise, once it works and I'm guessing you'll like it a lot (once you get a running one).

• Like 5

Thanks guys, I'm pretty annoyed about it, certainly not at my dealer, he's been awesome, I'm annoyed at Minelab for having such poor quality products, they've had plenty of time now to get this sort of thing resolved.

I've seen a number of coils with problems so that's not a surprise your coil is going noisy Lee, I was always intending to only run aftermarket coils on it.  I'm thinking 10x6" would be my default coil size, somewhere around there, if I want depth I already know to use the GPZ so I'm not interested in bigger coils for it.

At first it wouldn't turn on at all, after hitting the control box I got it to turn on with that error, the manual says that error means send it in to Minelab for service, after trying heaps of times I managed to get it to turn on once and it worked without the error, so I went outside and swung it around for a bit and it seemed fine, I turned it off and on and it came up with the error again.  I'll keep trying, either way it obviously has to go back but It'd be ideal if I can at least use it for a day to see if its even worth having a 6000, in my vague comparisons so far with JW's one I really saw little difference between it and my GPZ on small gold especially when using my little 8" coil on the GPZ and I thought my GPZ had a much cleaner clearer more obvious target response but I'm always one to give something a try.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I'll keep trying, either way it obviously has to go back but It'd be ideal if I can at least use it for a day to see if its even worth having a 6000, in my vague comparisons so far with JW's one I really saw little difference between it and my GPZ on small gold especially when using my little 8" coil on the GPZ and I thought my GPZ had a much cleaner clearer more obvious target response but I'm always one to give something a try.

Get a proper working one and do the comparisons, you’ll probably find the 6000 has a better target response on the small stuff you’re chasing over the Z. Yes, they’re a chatty machine but that’s because of their ridiculous sensitivity (also use this to your advantage!)

If I want to have some fun and go target tiddlers for an afternoon, the 6000 is a go to over the Z.

I recently spent some time on a lease here and targetted an area with the 6000 that had already been throughly worked over by a plethora of other detectors and managed another 11g. I’ll do a post up soon.

Good luck and I believe you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you do get a good machine and I believe you’ll keep us posted.

• Like 5

Have faith me lad, can`t bitch about mine, once I got the hang of it, it paid for itself easy as any have. I have not used my Z/X combos since I got the 6K and you and I know how good they are. I`d send mine over to you but I think you`ve broken a mirror and mine`d die on ya. No doubt MLs got themselves a quality problem with the 6K, I just hope the replacement performs as mine does and all this becomes just a bad past memory. I`ve got to agree again @$#%^$# with most of what JP says, tis a rugged detector it takes the rough handling this coarse sandpaper hands out. 

• Like 4

• The topic was locked