My New GPX 6000 Is Faulty, Straight Out Of The Box

6 minutes ago, Norvic said:

been tempted to post more on this thread Phrunt but decided tis more constructive to wait until you`ve had the 6K a month or so or got rid of it. All is revealed in time.

I understand, I've had no time behind the wheel, I'll see how I go tomorrow with it, I've turned it off and on 20 times in the past 10 minutes and its worked every time so it does seem things are improving.  I really want to like it, and I hope I end up liking it, too many people like it for it to be as bad as I feel about it at the moment.  

The squeaky wheel gets the oil, I'm happy to be the squeaky wheel, but I want the oil to go to the GPX so people in the future don't have to deal with this, they shouldn't have to deal with this.

JW seems to love his other than the build quality, and now the faulty coil, so he obviously sees the good in it.  I hope I end up liking mine.

• Like 4

When I pick up mine on Monday, the 6000 will owe me 40 grams. I'd better like it....:unsure:

• Like 1

I bought my 6 last September and used it for 3 days the last of October. I have not been able to get to a gold location since due to Winter weather and the closest place I can look for gold is 6 1/2 to 7 hours drive one way. Now fuel prices are a deterrent to extensive travel for my 1 ton truck ( my only vehicle ). I did get out locally meteorite hunting for an hour or so using the 17''. I am concerned about  my 6000 as I have not been able to use it enough to see if it will develop problems. It sure is a concern as hearing about so many folks having problems short and long term.   

• Like 2

I'm very sorry to hear your new GPX 6000 has given you such a headache right out of the box!  What a disappointment in what is supposed to be an exciting moment.  But, just remember that this moment will pass and soon you will have a replacement that will hopefully help you (mostly) forget about this bad experience.

Also, keep in mind that while in the short term things aren't looking too good, in the long term you will likely be very happy with the 6000 for several reasons.  First, we 40-something-year-olds won't stay in perfect physical shape forever, just look at your poor foot as an example.  The lighter weight 6000 (I know the GPZ7000 with 8in coil is pretty light too) we will be swinging the next few years should help us keep our shoulders and backs in the game for longer as we put lots of hours in the field out nugget-hunting. 

Also, in the next year, the GPX 6000 will get even lighter, and possibly even more sensitive to small nuggets when Nugget Finder and Coiltek release some awesome smaller-sized coils for the machine.  I know I can't wait to try those out. 

I wish you the best of luck with your 2nd unit and look forward to hearing your reports on those small NZ nuggets found with it! :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

JP, I just bought one yesterday, it's already a lemon, JW's died too.

Last year my detecting partners and I had a 50% Crap Rate right out of the box too….2 of the 4 of us had to get replacements. That really is poor quality control for sure!

• Like 4

Thanks, I'm over the initial anger now and just excited to be going out using it today, I woke up early and it's charged up again after yesterdays testing, i put my headphones on charge overnight again, this time I used a USB power point in my house and still it flashes red/blue with no solid blue light so who knows if that's a problem or not but they never get a solid light.

I fired up the detector this morning 20 times and it came on every time, after a few hits to the side of the box the problem has improved a lot.  As for the performance I don't really know as I'm comparing it to the GPZ with a particularly hot aftermarket coil, I'm sure if I was comparing it to the standard 14x13" coil I'd be more impressed.

I do find the weight nice, it is very light so that might help a bit with my foot today too.  Less weight to lug around and I'll sure like not having my turkey strap harness, I hate that thing, the only thing I wear it for is to hold my speakers and sp01 booster though, I've never used my bungee it spends its life wrapped around my shaft as you'll see in my videos, it never moves, I don't know why I haven't shaved a few grams off by removing it.

JW's coming along and I think he's going to bring his GPX but he'll have to use the 17" coil on it as his 11' is still away waiting on warranty replacement so we'd only be able to do vague comparisons of the two GPX's performance unless of course we put my coil on his and saw if it performed any better.

I intend to only run aftermarket coils on mine and you're right Calmark, the sensitivity should improve with smaller aftermarket coils then I might be happier, at the moment I'm comparing an 8" coil to an 11" coil so the GPX has a disadvantage, so once it's got smaller coils things should improve dramatically.

I've decided I'm keeping it, although I'm unsure if I keep this one now the power on fault has come right (with the possibility of just getting it replaced in the future if it does it again) or if I get a new one sent to me Tuesday.  I'm reluctant to do that as then the dealer has a lot of rubbish to deal with and if mines no longer going to error then he's doing it for nothing.

A guy contacted me on Facebook overnight, he said he saw my post here and wanted to let me know he had the exact same problem where he tapped the control box but his problem wasn't DOA it developed over time, he sent me a video of it and it sure looked the same problem, he was in OZ and just got it replaced,   What concerns me is Minelab told him it was the board that was faulty, once he got it back he tested it worked right then sold it and went back to his GPZ as his gold take was much better with it anyway, lucky Aussies with their big gold 🙂

I hope not too many more people get faulty GPX's, the more vocal about it we are the more effort they'll put into fixing the problem is my theory and as JP said "you’re the last person ML or any company would want to end up with a bad bit of gear being sent to" and he's right, I don't give free passes, I like to hold the right people accountable, not the innocent dealer, the dodgy manufacturer and in this case they need a good serving as the failure rate is far too high, I don't feel I'm being overly dramatic with my response when the problem is all so common.  I'm not concerned Minelab will make it right and give them praise for that, they have no choice to make it right, by law it's what they have to do, or I could just walk out with a refund and buy another one or in an ideal world another brand.

I wonder if sometimes in these automatic production lines detectors even get a person turn them on to do a basic check or if they just roll off the line into a box and onto the back of a truck.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

I really want to like it, and I hope I end up liking it, too many people like it for it to be as bad as I feel about it at the moment.  

JW seems to love his other than the build quality, and now the faulty coil, so he obviously sees the good in it.  I hope I end up liking mine.

Too bad about an issue with the 6.  It's an impressive machine and great at what it was designed to do.  I also really really wanted to like mine but after 108-10 nuggets I got tired of factory re-sets, lots of noise cancels, and hate wearing headphones, dealing with constant air traffic, too large a coil for my brush work, etc. that I've decided to part with mine. It was such a pleasure last Thurs. to use my SDC once again with the 5x10 and a STABLE threshold all day long plus a few nuggies, and that day made me decide to just quit fighting with the 6 and sold it. I could be very wrong but I think a person's location is gonna have a lot to do with how wild the 6 gets?  I'll sacrifice some depth, tinier bits, and some ergonomics for a constant STABLE threshold.  Thanx Reese for lining me up on the sale.  JMO's........

• Like 3

Simon you have a warranty, Minelab honour their warranties better than any other manufacturer I know. This situation is less than ideal for sure but it’s NOT just ML who are having issues, just about anything you buy right now especially in the last 2 years has the potential to have problems thanks to Covid, that’s assuming you can actually get your hands on it in the first place. 

Would be pretty funny if when it goes back they can’t find any actual faults because you THUMPED it back into life. 😂 I thought you said these things weren’t built very well? 😆 Ultra simple controls and if you have any problems just give it a good thumping. 😝 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh my! 1

I have plenty of video of the fault, far more than I put on here.  

• The topic was locked