My New GPX 6000 Is Faulty, Straight Out Of The Box

On 5/9/2022 at 9:37 AM, phrunt said:

Would you say the GPX prefers a slow or very slow sweep for harder to get edge of detecting targets?   You may notice in those comparison videos I did whenever I was trying to really get a target I took the swing very slow hoping it'd appear as I've found this works on the GPZ.

Simon when you receive your GPX 6000 back you could test if different sweep speeds have any effect on target responses as it appears you had found with your GPZ.  

• Like 2

My dealer has contacted Minelab with the info of the problems, he's waiting on their response telling him what he needs to do, he has a replacement sitting there for me waiting for authorization on giving it to me, or if their response is to send it to their service agent then that's what we'll do.  They're taking their time replying to him as to how to handle it.   I'll chase him up again on it tomorrow and see what is going on as the workday is about over now for today.  

If he's replacing it I need to send it to him, if the service agent is going to handle it I need to send it to them.  Technically in NZ for any faulty product within the DOA period it goes back to where you bought it and they have to deal with it so going to the service center on a brand new detector is out of the ordinary. 

If a product you buy is faulty or not of acceptable quality, you don’t have to put up with it.

Consumer members can contact our Consumer Advice Line for help. Our advisers will talk you through your rights.

When products are faulty

When a product isn’t up to scratch, the Consumer Guarantees Act gives you powerful after-sales rights.

The Act says products must be of acceptable quality, fit for purpose and match their description.

If a product has a minor fault, the retailer can choose to repair the item, replace it, or refund your money.

But if the fault is major, it’s your choice whether you opt for a replacement or refund. A major fault means a reasonable consumer wouldn't have bought the product if they'd known about the problem.

The retailer can't palm you off to the manufacturer – you have the right to take the item back to the shop and have it fix the problem.

A sign in the store that says “no refunds” is illegal.

If I didn't tap on it and it still didn't turn on at all he could have just swapped it over as a dead detector, now that it fires up it's a different story although not really as I could just drop it back tomorrow and get my money back.

If my dealer wasn't 7 hours drive away it'd be a bit easier too I guess, the service agent is near to him.

• Like 1

Simon, sad to hear of your problems with your shiny new detector. You'd think someone would have turned the machine on to check its performance before shipping it to the dealer. And, if the problem is a solder connection that has been the problem with other machines, that's something you'd think would have been caught by quality control and remedied. 

I know you've now got your machine running by using a precision tool (whacking it with your hand), but I can tell it's been a frustrating experience for you which should never have been the case if there were stringent quality control protocols set in place before the product was shipped, especially considering the steep price of the machine (which others have commented on as well).

Sure hope you find a lasting solution to your new detector's problems.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

Sure hope you find a lasting solution to your new detector's problems.

Thank you Lanny, and I appreciate your sympathy to my woes.  A bit of sympathy can go a way long to calming a disgruntled customer down, that and working to resolve their problems and turning their negative experience into a positive, my dealers been flawless and I'm glad it was him I bought it from and not someone else.  I've kicked up more of a stink that I needed to of course as I know I'll get it resolved, more so as Minelab deserve it on this one, it's far too widespread of a problem with their quality control to just let it go and the amount of private message and Facebook support from people not willing to contact me on the private messages here or that read here but aren't a member I've had is amazing.  The occasional person saying I've got a problem is easy to dismiss, when they all get together as a group you see just how widespread it is and that's the point here.  I've never mentioned my problems outside of this forum, virtually exclusively in this thread.

Perhaps the rocky road of the GPX 6000 release will make them put a bit more effort in with the GPZ 8000 release and to be honest that's the one I'm looking forward to.

• Like 4

It's not about me and never has been, I really don't care as its getting resolved anyway, it's not even my primary detector and I prefer to use my GPZ. I'm just one of many people with problems.  The point is to take a stand, to make a point about how poor the reliability/quality is of this detector.  They want Ferrari prices for a basic Ford with a great engine thrown into it, for the price you expect Ferrari all over, not just the motor.

I'd not be at all surprised if the failure rate or at least problem rate is as high as 50%, and this is in a short period, what's it going to be by the end of the warranty?  Those who have good ones now maybe joining my club in a few months, time will tell, if their detector doesn't fail their coil likely will.

What about the weekend warriors that only use their detector occasionally on weekends, they may not use it enough to develop any problems while still under warranty which is likely going to be me, as I'll be using the GPZ the most by far, even worse for those that go detecting a few days a year as they live a long way from any gold locations so it requires them to go on a trip once a year for week or two at Christmas or something.  These people are going to be the ones that really luck out when it fails for them outside of warranty.

If this was Nokta Makro that made the GPX 6000 then Dilek would be on here apologizing, stating what they're going to do about it for everyone involved and highlighting how they're working to prevent the problems in the future.  Minelab prefer just to keep silent repairing and replacing detectors and hope we do too.

No one is asking anyone to read the thread, and maybe if somebody does buy a faulty 6000 with problems they'll find it more interesting to read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Seriously Simon, 50%? Your kidding right? It sucks you’ve got a DOA and I doubt anyone reading this forum would not feel for your plight and rightly so. But it’s also pretty clear you’re taking this all the way to the bank, you’re on the high moral ground after all. 🤨 

For a laugh, because laughter is the best medicine, this reminds me of a joke about too young lads who got a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere and discover they have no Jack, they very soon realise they’re going to have to take the very long walk up to a farmers place and ask for a loan but the problem is he is a cantankerous old grumble guts known for his nasty aggression, so the lads draw straws on who gets the onerous tasks of having to go cap in hand and beg.

Johnny draws the short straw and over the many miles of walking he’s thinking about the situation and how much he dislikes the grumpy farmer. He plays through his mind over and over again how the scene is going to unfold, how much begging he is going to have to do just to get the loan of a blooming Jack, it wasn’t fair. By the time he got to the door he was in a right state, he was absolutely fuming and barely able to speak. He knocks on the door and from deep within the house he can hear the farmer making his way down the hall, as he opens the door Johnny is positively livid with indignant rage and screams out at the farmer “……..and you can shove your Jack right up your A8$!!” then storms off into the dark before the farmer can even offer a word. 😂 

• Haha 2
  • Oh my! 1

What I mean by 50% is including faults you don't consider faults like shaft twisting, hissing headphones etc etc.  If Nokta for example had the Legend with shafts twisting, customers would be getting a new shaft, The Equinox had a wobbling shaft when it came out, Minelab replaced the shafts under warranty, even I got a replacement Nox shaft for the wobbling problem.

Ok, so whats your percentage of returns JP, how many have you swapped over DOA or how many of your customers have had faulty coils or detectors that you know of that have returned them to Minelab instead of your store?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

What I mean by 50% is including faults you don't consider faults like shaft twisting, hissing headphones etc etc.

Ok, so whats your percentage of returns JP, how many have you swapped over DOA or how many of your customers have had faulty coils or detectors that you know of that have returned them to Minelab instead of your store?

Let me guess, very few if any. 🙂

Now your just insulting me Simon and once again passive aggressive shuts down dialogue. Minelab will sort out your detector for you of that I’m sure (when they get a chance), that’s the real issues not the imaginary ones 🤔, those will always be a point of contention with an attention seeker. 

• Oh my! 1

I'm not intending to insult you, I just don't understand why you're defending them, surely you've seen what is going on, look how many people are having problems?  I know you likely can't say your failure rate as that wouldn't go down very well with Minelab and I don't expect you to say it, no dealer in their right mind would.

I don't consider my other issues imaginary like the headphone hiss, others don't either and have pointed out they've got it too.  That's you insulting people saying what they're concerned about are not even problems.

I don't want to argue with you JP, and I understand your position.  I will keep quiet about my GPX problems now, I've made my point clearly enough.  Let's change to a new topic from now on, my next post hopefully is me finding some gold with it, tomorrow it's getting a new workout.  I'd be happy for this thread to be locked or removed, I just don't care, enough people know of the problems now.

• Like 2

Simon ... you have the right to realistically and critically evaluate the detector, for which you put the seller's $ 6,000 on the table ... and something is wrong with it ...

I also ... I believe that the next piece of GPX 6000 that you will receive for exchange..will be flawless ... and you will be able to evaluate objectively ... all technical and detection aspects of this detector..in prospecting ...... and possibly also compare with other detectors you own ,,👍 ..

But I can identify with JP ... who, as a GPX 6K field tester .. knows all the detection positives and benefits that this detector brings .... and will fight hard for them .... I would do the same ...👍

• Like 2